Loud noise during re-amping.

Detch

Inspired
I received DI for reamping, here is a short take https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqy7me8bzvbwbgf/DI.wav?dl=0

When I started to nail the tone with Axe I could not make anything good because of the very uncomfortable amount of background noise, at first, I thought it was a poor DI quality...
But when I tried it with TSE X50II plugin and there was no such issue, even with Tube Screamer in front of the amp and I quickly nailed the desired tone.

So far I can't get anything useable out of the axe. What am I doing wrong, maybe some settings got messed up?
It sounds like the signal going into axe is too loud or something, but on the input meters all looks fine.
I tried different amps, tried reinstall the firmware and System Parameters Reset. Nothing help.

I'm using axe since mark II came out and don't remember having such issues, though I can't tell when this problem appeared, cause I've been working with jazzy and clean tones recently.

Win x64
Cubase 9.0.10 in 48kHz 32bit
Axe FXII mkII
FW Q 7.02
reamp through USB

Here are examples:
Axe FX, PVH 6160 default settings all at noon. Without tube screamer

And here is TSE x50II, all default and at noon. Without tube screamer

Adding tube screamer make things a lot worse on the AXE, nomatter what settings I nail on the screamer.

And here are TSE with Tube screamer. There are noise but it's beyond normal.

Just a .. do you have any plug-ins on the master fader in cubase ??
I always turn these of.. when i re-amp.

Try it

No plugins on the master bus. Yea I'm aware of that. And yes, I'm changing the input source to USB on the axe screen. Guys, can you please check out that DI, can you work with it?

Yeah i can get it to sound "good" here. Using Input Gate on the axe fx
Could it be that the DI signal is to hot ??
I just tried to re-amp with Windows media player (DI on a loop).. and i had to turn down the volum on the media player.. to say..15 %

And turn down the Bass knob on the axe fx amp block. this will help a bit

Last edited:
No plugins on the master bus. Yea I'm aware of that. And yes, I'm changing the input source to USB on the axe screen. Guys, can you please check out that DI, can you work with it?

Here is my test.. with low vol on the DI file..

Thanx for responding SeeD
The strange thing is that when I use plugins for reamp, signal is a lot cleaner. Gate is not an option, it's more like workaround...
Lowering the DI level doesn't help much, it make less distortion but the noise are still there..
I have another DI from another guy. Gonna make comparison now

You posted the video while I was typing. Yea, you made it quite clean sounding, but more gain is required and, the thing still there, plugins sound much cleaner without noise gate and any additional things.

The test examples you have in your OP.. sounds like shit.. even the Plug-in test
The axe fx test.. sounds like it has to loud signal ..into the axe fx.. and alot of bass "stuff"

Yea, they sound like shit, those are not made to be used in the mix. Those are amp settings by default, just to demonstrate the noise issue i have.
I never had problems with nailing good tones, you can check mixes on my site.

I can up the gain quit a bit on my preset.. go it a go
And if i change the IR cab files..to a less bass heavy IR.. I can add the Tube S Drive block. And then it`s aaaaaaaoooolt og gain(drive)

Last edited:
SeeD, you're using gate in your preset, but I'm talking about plugin being cleaner without it.

maybe I'm missing something important, and there were some changes in recent FW so I now have to approach it differently...
But I still can't get, why I'm not struggling with that noise using plugins... :(
The input signal of the axe is in the green area so there should not be any problems.
My classic scheme with Peavey 5150 + tube screamer doesn't work as I used to.
Maybe everything is how it should be and I need to get back on track somehow....

Cleaner ?? what ?
The gate just take a way some of the Noise.. when using alot of gain on a amp (when the guitar is quiet

I know what gates are for. I guess you misunderstood me.
When I use plugin, without gate, there are less noise on the background then if I use Axe fx without gate.

I realize that I may sound as crazy problematic person with this issue so I'm investigating it and try to understand what's wrong. Sure it could be me, but that's why I'm here to find the truth :)

SeeD, please try to do it with PVH 6160 Block, when you have timem this is theI'mp i'm struggling with and can't recognise it from what I experienced in the past.

hmmm,then i dont know man
Sorry that you are having this kind of problem.
I trid it out,and got the DI to work,with lovering the DI level

Maby try to install the FW once more.. it migth be a bad install (i dont know)

Good Luck man :)

Back
Top Bottom