DanielB

Not sure how many Richie Kotzen fans there are 'round these parts, but I am trying to nail down a few of his tones with the AX8. He pretty much only uses his signature Tele, which does have a rather unique pickup configuration.

The first is in his song "Lie to Me". It's the main rhythm guitar part right at the beginning. It's sort of this crunchy, fuzzy tone that has all these little particles and it sounds so "alive" to me. It almost sounds Recto-ish, with a fuzz or something but I can't quite dial it in.

The next one is in his song "War Paint". You can hear it throughout the song, but especially so when the end solo kicks in around 3:55. It's this really ripping tone, like the sound of pulling a zipper really fast or almost tearing fabric.

If anyone thinks they can help me out, it'd be much appreciated!

Try the Corncob model as a starting point, you should be able to cop some of the vibe from his signature RK100 head with that.

Try the Corncob model as a starting point, you should be able to cop some of the vibe from his signature RK100 head with that.

Nice, I will try that, thanks. I know he has that signature model, but I believe I read somewhere that he had a slew of various other hand-wired 100-watt heads over the years. Big fan of your stuff BTW, both your presets and your tracks!

Am I right about that being a fuzz pedal of some sort, in the start of the first one?

For lie to me, dial in a fat clean/edge of breakup sound and try a fuzz with the gain low and level high; you might even try adjust the effect mix to 60/70%.

Warpaint solo sounds like an octave fuzz in the middle then a more traditional fuzz at the end.

The Cornford is a Soldano-ish circuit, as were the original Rectos, so you could play around with any of those models ; assuming that's what he recorded with!

I believe Richie recorded almost every thing with his amp. So try with the cornford. He is very purist, so I think he got the tone from the amp, but I could be wrong.
I'm a vey big fan and I just got my AX8, I will give it a try next week.

Ps. Big fan of 2112 too!
Cheers!

Nice, I will try that, thanks. I know he has that signature model, but I believe I read somewhere that he had a slew of various other hand-wired 100-watt heads over the years. Big fan of your stuff BTW, both your presets and your tracks!

Am I right about that being a fuzz pedal of some sort, in the start of the first one?
Ok I almost got lie to me.... I'm using the cornford and the rosen g12h33 heritage.
Hopfull tomorrow I will post a clip.
Ciao

Back
Top Bottom