"Flatten" Amp & Cab Block?

To use a term from Photoshop, is it possible to "flatten" an amp block + cab block into a Tone Match block? ...to free up the amp and cab block.

If so, what is the easiest way to do it? I haven't found a tutorial on exactly that. The ones I've found involve exterior sources.

What your asking doesn't make any sense be use the Tone Match is meant to supplement or replace the cab. It's a super fancy filter. It cannot replace the Amp block. An amp does give tone but it also gives gain and "amplification"

You can merge multiple IRs, with other Filters and EQs. But the amp block is a completely different animal.

Having said that, I have had some success merging and very clean Amp and a Cab into a new IR. That when used with a Drive block and a Comp block allowed for a usable (pseudo) completely gap-less Dual-Amp setup for an 'AX8' customer.

To use a term from Photoshop, is it possible to "flatten" an amp block + cab block into a Tone Match block? ...to free up the amp and cab block.

If so, what is the easiest way to do it? I haven't found a tutorial on exactly that. The ones I've found involve exterior sources.
i thought the Amp block is processing in real time, so this seems not possible. a word used more in the music production industry is "freeze" - like freezing a reverb effect so it doesn't use CPU. but that means it "records" exactly how it reacts to the source material, therefore not reacting to any changed.

An amp cannot be replicated with Tone match. Tone match is a frequency response matching tool and because an amplifier stage has non-linear effects like compression and distortion in addition to frequency shaping it cannot be effectively modeled by a TM block alone, this is why a tone match preset requires you to select a similar amp that is preferably dialed in closely to the source when it is being used in the typical way; it must rely on the amp model to perform that function and then the TM block takes care of frequency spectrum matching.

The cab by itself is totally doable, though; you can theoretically completely reproduce an IR with the TM block.

An amp cannot be replicated with Tone match.
Tone Match is meant to supplement or replace the cab.
Amp block is processing in real time, so this seems not possible.
the amp block is a completely different animal. Having said that, I have had some success merging and very clean Amp and a Cab into a new IR.

Thanks for the answers, everybody. My first thought was that TM could not replicate an Amp Block, or that it would be a poor substitute. But if memory serves correctly, I think I have seen more than one preset shared on Axe Change or on this forum that had a TM block and no amp or cab block. As Moke describes, perhaps this is possible only with clean settings (such as some of the acoustic TMs I've seen).

Two thoughts come to mind if anyone is interested in shedding light on them...

- As Zenaxe says, a TM of an Amp block would be missing among other things, compression, dynamic distortion, etc., but might it be useable? - perhaps just for a part of a song (a single scene). ...would it save CPU over using another Amp & Cab block?

...which leads me back to the start... if you wanted to do this just to hear the result, how would you do it? The tutorials I've seen are not easily translatable to in-the box Tone Matching of Amp & Cab.

Back
Top Bottom