Three new Allan Holdsworth patches for Q7.02

i'd be interested in some feedback about how well (or not) these are working for people...especially the lead. i use a dimarzio air zone in the bridge, which is a very warm paf style pickup with medium output and i roll off the guitar volume a tad and back off the tone as well....

Hey Simeon these are great thanks so much, I'm playing through a Les Paul dialled back to 5-6ish sounds fantastic!!!! I need a "talent block" to do these patches justice.

I have the knowledge of a ameba in comparison to your ability with this box!!!!

This one has been asked a million time already, I'm looking for "Another brick in the wall" solo sound, the multitudes I have tried so far seem to be lacking "something"? Have you ever tried it?

Thanks again!!!!!

yeah, that did sound good. i think the magic is in the signal path. i believe the original was the guitar (with P90's) straight to the desk and compressed there. it was later sent out to an amp (a fender?) and that tone was mixed in. so some creative routing and some research on the gear used would probably help refine it

Yeah, I heard the clip that Cliff posted, sounded great, I couldn't find the patch download, or it was maybe made for the xl, I have a mk 2?

Great presets.

The v16 Lead version works much better for me than the Q7. In fact, I had created my own from scratch (auditioning every amp and cab) and used the same cab (F016) and the same amp model (USA Pre LD2 Ylw) as your v16 lead preset. Great minds think alike :) Your patch is insanely high gain for my guitar, so I'd have to get rid of the Drive block and back off on the Input Trim and gain controls a bit.

Other differences are that I blended other cabs in with F016, including F123 and a Palmer sim. I use the forth cab slot as the variable to change the timbre of the tone without destroying the basic character. My favorites for this are F031 or F137. They add a bit of "woodiness".

I also blend in USA Pre LD1 Red in parallel with LD2 Yellow. LD2 Yellow provides the upper mid clarity, LD1 Red gives a touch of diffuse warmth (rounds off the attack) and adds a bit of hair to the bottom.

BTW, from what source was your Tone Match in the Q7 lead patch taken?

Last edited:
Hey Simeon, I've been using your previous presets up till now. Well, the clean and swell presets. The lead presets never appeal to me. Most likely because I never try to play his solos.

At any rate, I loaded up the new Clean and Swell presets. I really like the update! They make the old ones sound and feel dull. Here's a clip. Using a Suhr strat with the bridge humbucker split to the slug side and mixed with the middle single coil. Excuse the mediocre playing. It's enough to show how good the presets sound. As a side note, I have another track on that page from 3 years ago when I first got your UD Stomp Multidelay Blocks. Similar guitar but it seems it was tuned down a half step.

someone posted this in the holdsworth group on facebook - incredible solo!

the first few bars are easy to cop and comparing it to my new patches, i hear a boost at 450Hz. i added that in using the mid control in the drive block - 2-3db

i also reduced the top sliders in the graphic slightly, so it's a bit warmer

i think this is the closest i've ever gotten

Ooops! The preset to which I was referring was from a different user that came up with you link. It was the only preset I didn't like. I should have known you didn't make it.

I've inserted blocks from my preset into yours to make a hybrid and attached it. You might need to increase both Amp blocks' Input Trim, or insert a null Filter (or some other block) before them to increase gain for your guitar.

Listening to his material, I am surprised at just how dark his lead tone can be. Anyway, this preset works well on my system. See how it works for you.

Attachments

• Steadystate Holds Lead.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 50
i tried it without the user cab. i think i prefer my patch...i guess your pickups are really different!

Undoubtedly they are very different. Your 3-scene lead preset for firmware 3 sounds best over here on my Quantum. I've always thought that preset exchange had its limitations. Too many variables. Great for starting points though.

Even when I think my preset is too dark outside of a mix, I listen to his recordings and then think it's still too bright.

For anyone who cares to try it, here is the Palmer IR. It goes in slot 2 of Cab 1. It adds a substantial amount of meat to the preset.

Attachments

• Palmer Norm UltraRes.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom