Motor Drive Suggestions for FRFR

Matt Steele

Experienced
Hello everyone enjoying 7.02!

I've been out of the Fractal loop for a little while and have been lost in how to dial in the new motor drive settings. I'm using a FRFR set up so I believe I'm supposed to set it in the amp block settings.

I'd really appreciate any insight as to what everyone has discovered since 7.02 has dropped. What do you suggest?

Much appreciated in advance!

I think it was decided that setting the level so the meter goes to 6db for Brit speakers and 3db for USA speakers.

It is suggested that you leave the cab block motor drive at default (0) and instead navigate to the Speaker page in the amp block.
I use a value between 5 & 6.67 which will give you around 3-6db of compression depending on the amp.
You will have to level your preset afterwards to compensate.

You can monitor the amount of compression by looking at the front panel (not available in axe edit) and while in the speaker page of the amp block make sure Motor Drive is highlighted with the cursor.

I´m on Q7.2 with FRFR. Little question here. I noticed, in case I set the motordrive (ampblock) between 4-6 the volume of my preset decreased but at values more than 7 the volume gets louder. Is this the right behavior of this parameter and why does it so?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I have FRFR speakers and tried cranking up and down the motor drive both in the amp block and in the speaker block and I hear very minimal differences. I tried with both clean amp and mid to high gain. Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about but I get frustrated wasting time for like 2 hours trying to make a significant difference in a preset when I could be playing music instead. While I do appreciate that these improvements are being made to the Axe Fx and that they probably are incremental improvements, I really really wish that the changes / improvements would be much more dramatic - turn a knob and hear a big difference rather than struggle to convince yourself that something is better. My experience is that the majority of improvements in the Axe are very incremental and only once in a while do we see a great leap forward. I just hate spending hours and hours trying to find these improvements. I don't understand what people are raving about all the time. Maybe I have a defective unit - I'm constantly second guessing my hardware because of all the over the top reviews. I have to work really really hard to get the unit to sound great -especially for mid gain situations - which I have been able to do but then when I dial it in we get a firmware upgrade that throws it off. Getting tired of this...

Ok I'm done with my rant now....

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I have FRFR speakers and tried cranking up and down the motor drive both in the amp block and in the speaker block and I hear very minimal differences. I tried with both clean amp and mid to high gain. Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about but I get frustrated wasting time for like 2 hours trying to make a significant difference in a preset when I could be playing music instead. While I do appreciate that these improvements are being made to the Axe Fx and that they probably are incremental improvements, I really really wish that the changes / improvements would be much more dramatic - turn a knob and hear a big difference rather than struggle to convince yourself that something is better. My experience is that the majority of improvements in the Axe are very incremental and only once in a while do we see a great leap forward. I just hate spending hours and hours trying to find these improvements. I don't understand what people are raving about all the time. Maybe I have a defective unit - I'm constantly second guessing my hardware because of all the over the top reviews. I have to work really really hard to get the unit to sound great -especially for mid gain situations - which I have been able to do but then when I dial it in we get a firmware upgrade that throws it off. Getting tired of this...

Ok I'm done with my rant now....

IMO the unit is so close to the real thing, at this point any changes in the modelling are going to be incremental. I'd say that's a good thing!

The Motor Drive is relatively subtle and being a kind of compression you'll notice it more in the feel than the sound. Also if you already have compression going on elsewhere in your chain it will be less noticeable. It is subtle, but it's replicating a real world phenomenon which itself is relatively subtle.

I'd really appreciate any insight as to what everyone has discovered since 7.02 has dropped. What do you suggest?
I discovered the release notes. :)

Seriously, the release notes will get your started. Anything beyond that is a bit like asking people, "How many crackers should I put in my soup?" That's up to your personal taste.

Back
Top Bottom