Communication Timeouts

I've been experiencing rather consistent communication timeouts with Axe-Edit and my Axe-FX II - it pretty much just sits there communicating and eventually I get a communication timeout error.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Axe-Edit, power-cycled the Axe-FX, PC, and interface - all of the standard troubleshooting steps I would do for issues with software and outboard hardware. I'm not sure what else to try at this point - it worked fine while tweaking my presets after updating to 7.02.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Suggestions for additional troubleshooting?

hello I use mac and logic, today started to give me the same problem related to starting logic x, x and use edit and mac with q.7.02, from time out and unknown device.etc ... only solve reboot .. .tomorrow I change the usb cable hoping the cause ... you've solved ??

I've been experiencing rather consistent communication timeouts with Axe-Edit and my Axe-FX II - it pretty much just sits there communicating and eventually I get a communication timeout error.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Axe-Edit, power-cycled the Axe-FX, PC, and interface - all of the standard troubleshooting steps I would do for issues with software and outboard hardware. I'm not sure what else to try at this point - it worked fine while tweaking my presets after updating to 7.02.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Suggestions for additional troubleshooting?

When I had this issues it came down to a faulty ethernet cable.

Same here.....Never happened before. I also loose USB audio at the same time. Will try a new USB cable and see if it clears up?

I don't have this problem with my II (but I haven't updated that to 7.02 yet). It did start with my AX8 after updating to 7.02 Beta and getting latest editor. There is a thread in AX8 bugs with suggested fixes, including the order that you power up and a recommended high-quality USB cable. I ordered the cable and will see if that resolves when I eventually get it.

R

hello I use mac and logic, today started to give me the same problem related to starting logic x, x and use edit and mac with q.7.02, from time out and unknown device.etc ... only solve reboot .. .tomorrow I change the usb cable hoping the cause ... you've solved ??

It looks like it *may* be related to Ableton - closed Live and was able to run Axe-Edit without issue. I would have to do more troubleshooting in order to determine if there is actually a compatibility issue between Axe-Edit and Live - we would need to have a consistently reproducible issue in order for it to be considered a bug.

It looks like it *may* be related to Ableton - closed Live and was able to run Axe-Edit without issue. I would have to do more troubleshooting in order to determine if there is actually a compatibility issue between Axe-Edit and Live - we would need to have a consistently reproducible issue in order for it to be considered a bug.
I solved so today,
Then the new hig quality cable ...... it was not the cable radical removal of all AX edit / driver / and folders / Cleaning your Mac Downloaded new q7.02 Bank and related prior (backup) Reinstalled everything Simultaneous power Logic and pc TESTED X THREE HOURS ... BACK TO WORK AS ALWAYS .... question in my computer .... every now and then it can happen that something skipper

Okay. tried some other USB cables.......still happening?

Used the some old USB cable on the AX8. AX8-Edit ran solid for a couple of hours.

Switched over to the Ax-Fx II (Mk1) and Axe-edit with the same cable, 'timed out' within 10 minutes and could not re-connect without cycling the power on the Axe-Fx II? I was also using the Axe-Fx as my USB audio device at the time. The audio failed at the same time as the 'communication time out'?

Removed and re-installed the drivers yesterday. Will do some more tests when I get a chance.

I copied the post below from another thread on this from Matt at Fractal. Thanks Matt! This solved my problem. Cable was about $8 and it arrived here in Hawaii in less than a week. Solved my problem with no more frustration. This cable also seems faster.

FROM MATT: "In addition to the 5 meter cable they've always carried, we recently asked BestTronics to add a high quality 2 meter USB cable to their page of Fractal offerings. We've tested this cable and it works great. I'd recommend this option over similar cables from eBay.

http://btpa.com/Fractal-Audio/"

Update.........
I ran 'Axe-Edit' for several hours today using the same 2 meter USB cable that I always use and had no issues. The only difference was that I had nothing running on my computer that used the Axe-Fx as an audio device? I will test this out on my next tweaking session.

If I can't use the Axe-Fx as my USB audio interface while using Axe-Edit simultaneously like before............I'm toast!

Update.........
I ran 'Axe-Edit' for several hours today using the same 2 meter USB cable that I always use and had no issues. The only difference was that I had nothing running on my computer that used the Axe-Fx as an audio device? I will test this out on my next tweaking session.

If I can't use the Axe-Fx as my USB audio interface while using Axe-Edit simultaneously like before............I'm toast!

I didn't have quite the same problem as you, but I tried 3 different USB cables down to a length of 2.5' feet to fix it. None of the regular USB cables worked, but the one above that Matt recommended solved the problem.

...I tried 3 different USB cables down to a length of 2.5' feet to fix it. None of the regular USB cables worked, but the one above that Matt recommended solved the problem.
Makes you wonder what the issue is. Any minimally-compliant USB cable should perform identically to any other. Maybe some people are selling USB cables that aren't up to spec.

What's strange for me is...same cable, same computers.....
  • AX8 and AX8-Edit = no issues.....
  • Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit (not using USB audio) = no issues (so far)
  • Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit (while using USB audio) = Communication Timeout and loss of USB audio within 10 minutes?
Maybe the extra data load is just too much for the (cheap?) cables that I have tried so far? But, this has NEVER happened to me before Q-7 ?? I will order the recommended cable and see if that helps.

Last edited:
The problem is the eccessive lenght of the usb cable?

In my case, not really. The cable that worked prior to updating was around 6'. I tried a bunch of shorter USB cables down to 3' and they didn't work. The cable Matt recommends (above) is 6' and it works.

however I solved a good cable 3 meters reinstalled Q7: 02 factory and presets bank, and my users presets..solved

Last edited:
What's strange for me is...same cable, same computers.....
  • AX8 and AX8-Edit = no issues.....
  • Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit (not using USB audio) = no issues (so far)
  • Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit (while using USB audio) = Communication Timeout and loss of USB audio within 10 minutes?
Maybe the extra data load is just too much for the (cheap?) cables that I have tried so far? But, this has NEVER happened to me before Q-7 ?? I will order the recommended cable and see if that helps.
In fact, the curious thing is that with ax fx and logic before upgrading to q7.02 with usb cable never had problems ... it could be a matter of new fw ??

I found the preset to be the cause of my Communication Timeout message. Having made sure I was on the latest version of Axe-Edit and Q8.01, I went to Preset > Clear Preset, then built a fresh preset from scratch and the timeouts went away. Not tried my old presets yet to re-test and see if the timeouts occur on those

Back
Top Bottom