Allan Holdsworth. RIP. One of a Kind.

simeon

Axe-Master
just posted on facebook by his daughter louise. passed away today.

sad news. a true innovator and musical genius.

Allan-Holdsworth02_H.Vielz_depth1.jpg

I still can't believe it...

I always hoped to see him live once.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Wow, for me this is a tough one. One of the all time greats to be sure. I had no idea of any medical problems.

I'm so glad I did get to see him in 2013 in Ramona, CA. That was a top-of-the-bucket-list-road-trip-to-see-a-show if ever there was one.

If you're playing out anytime soon, I can't think of a finer tribute than a pint of a dark brew (preferably Guinness) on top of your rig as he always did.

Edit:
e08d832b197c79f04237e3cbae9b6beb.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no... I let him at NAMM this year and he was a very kind man...
Very sad news. We have lost another of the great...

I was at GIT in LA around 85. AH was to play and answer questions for the student body. The night before I was so excited that I could not sleep so I stayed up. I was first in line to get in and sat front row merely feet away from where he'd be standing. It was a looooong wait till show time. I was fading fast. Finally he and the band came out and my adrenaline kicked in. I was like a sponge taking everything in. A few songs in my eyes became so heavy I couldn't for the life of me keep them open and I started nodding. I don't recall how many times or for how long but all I can remember is thinking "You idiot! Keep your eyes open!".

So I made it through the show/seminar. At the end I walked up to him and just said "Man, I am SO sorry for nodding out. I was so excited to see this that I couldn't sleep and stayed up.". He laughed and made some kind of joke about it. Took a pic and got an autograph. Got to see them perform at the Roxy that night as well. I've seen him a few times since. Unbelievable talent.

:(:(:(

By far my favorite guitarist of all time and one of my favorite musicians and composers. He had a special understanding of harmony that created a depth to his music that made it beautiful in a way that touched my core.

I feel very fortune I met him (and helped him carry his amps in to the Baked Potato) and then shared a pint (him, a dark stout, of course) and talked guitar for a bit.

I'm truly heartbroken. RIP, Allan.

He was the only guitarist who could make me weep with his playing. I now know he was the only guitarist who could make me weep with his passing.

I feel as though I have lost my best friend and lover; over a man I never met. I am devastated.

I pray for his family. They have lost a beloved family member as well.

Truly is a loss. I've met him many times, first time at music instrument shows in London when I was in my early teens.
I live in the states now and first time I met him here (in 2006) which was at the Carvin factory first thing he said to me was "that's a good accent you have there". We both come from the North of England, him Bradford, me York. Crazy thing is he lived closer to me in the states than he did in England. He played a show locally here on Monday night so must have been feeling ok. If there is an open memorial service and its local (which I think it will be) i'll go out of true respect.

Back
Top Bottom