USB Interface-Channels swapped in headphones?

johnnymillion

Inspired
I've been using my AxeFX2 XL as my main interface for just a couple of weeks and only noticed this issue yesterday. I was listening to audio from my PC through the headphones in the XL and noticed the channels are flip flopped. I swapped out cords, but I don't have a 2nd set of headphones handy to test with.

Have I changed some setting that I didn't know existed? I've been searching the forum and manual to no avail. Thanks, all!

Very weird. There is no setting that I know of, unless it's in your computer somewhere. The internal headphones connector of the unit is "keyed" so it almost certainly can't have be assembled incorrectly. Maybe the internal connector cable itself has something swapped.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some testing in the morning with some different headphones. I'll be embarrassed if it's just the pair I'm using and I'd never noticed before.

I tried double checking device setting in the PC and didn't see anything that could monkey with the L/R alignment.

Very weird. There is no setting that I know of, unless it's in your computer somewhere. The internal headphones connector of the unit is "keyed" so it almost certainly can't have be assembled incorrectly. Maybe the internal connector cable itself has something swapped.
@Admin M@ I think you're on to something here. This is a second hand unit, but after testing multiple headphones and PC settings I've determined the wires must just be backwards in the unit. Is this something I could manage to fix with guidance? Should I submit a support request?

If the wires to the headphone jack are backwards, then your output from the grid will be backwards as well. If you pan a block on the grid hard left, does the sound go to the right instead?

If the wires to the headphone jack are backwards, then your output from the grid will be backwards as well. If you pan a block on the grid hard left, does the sound go to the right instead?
Good call. I'm going to double check that tonight when I get home, but I do think that's the case. It wasn't as obvious for me in the FX path because I'm not a big stereo tone guy in the guitar chain.
The only reason this issue even jumped out to me this time was because I was monitoring AC/DC and knew that Malcolm should be on the left. :D

If anyone is paying attention to this low-stakes saga, :rolleyes: I've finished testing and determined the headphone jack channels are reversed. I've submitted a support ticket moments ago. I'll post an update once this resolved!

I know this sounds obvious, but could you not fix the problem without a service call by reversing the position of your phones on your head???
Don't think I haven't! :) My higher quality headphones aren't perfectly symmetrical and I'm hoping to use my XL for DAW mixes where panning gets important.

Don't think I haven't! :) My higher quality headphones aren't perfectly symmetrical and I'm hoping to use my XL for DAW mixes where panning gets important.
Gotcha. I was just being flippant......and also this Is why I prefer symmetry in my cans....I tried the Blue MOFI which is very popular here, and it's weight and non symmetry made it impossible for me to wear......I LOVE my Audeze EL-8 , super light , with reversible inputs into the L and R earpieces....

Last edited:
@Admin M@ I think you're on to something here. This is a second hand unit, but after testing multiple headphones and PC settings I've determined the wires must just be backwards in the unit. Is this something I could manage to fix with guidance? Should I submit a support request?

Simply unscrew the top panel and take it off, and take a look. It's very accessible, it's basically just a computer inside. I had an 3.5mm to TRS adapter break on me and get stuck in the headphones jack, had to take the top off to get in there and remove the broken tip. very easy to access, it's open and right there on top. at the very least a visual inspection is worth the 60 seconds of turning screws and if you have a warranty (2nd hand so doubtful) I'm pretty sure doing this will not void it.

Simply unscrew the top panel and take it off, and take a look. It's very accessible, it's basically just a computer inside. I had an 3.5mm to TRS adapter break on me and get stuck in the headphones jack, had to take the top off to get in there and remove the broken tip. very easy to access, it's open and right there on top. at the very least a visual inspection is worth the 60 seconds of turning screws and if you have a warranty (2nd hand so doubtful) I'm pretty sure doing this will not void it.
Thanks, @Severed - I was thinking along the same lines but didn't want to be too cavalier about it. I'll have a cautious peek when I get home tonight.

The cable inside is wired wrong. If you have any technical ability you can pop the contacts out of the shell and swap them. The wires go L, Gnd, R so simply swap the outside wires.

The cable inside is wired wrong. If you have any technical ability you can pop the contacts out of the shell and swap them. The wires go L, Gnd, R so simply swap the outside wires.
We're about to find out if I have any technical ability. :)
Jokes aside, I'm sure I can fix this. That's all I needed. Thank you, sir.

Obviously only swap the wires at one end. I use a jeweler's screwdriver to push the tang in on the contacts to get them to release from the housing.

Back
Top Bottom