What DAW should I get?

firmani99

Inspired
I posted a thread earlier about with drum software to get and got some great responses. So I figured I'd find out what DAWs you guys are using.

Is anyone using Cubase? And what version? Any other good popular ones worth looking into?

Brock, How come you are thinking about switching?
Steinberg is building on 17 year old code. It's starting to feel bulky. Too much clicking. Studio One is clean and efficient and light. It's missing some features I love in Cubase, but it seems faster. I think what's most important is because it's not being programmed with 17 years of backward compatibility in mind, but rather, it's future.

Reason. I love the way the interface feels and looks like an actual mixing console, it made it easy for me to get into digital recording.

I just got a copy of Studio One because the rest of my band uses it; haven't really had a chance to use it yet except the machine at our practice space.

I've used Cakewalk since 1997 starting with Pro Audio 7 and now SONAR Platinum but I don't really recommend it. I only use it because I don't have time to learn a new DAW.

If I were to switch I'd use either Reaper or Studio One.

When I'm writing, I use Reason. It's where I feel most at home (been using it since 2001 or so).

For production, Logic. Compared to Reason, It has access to proper AU plugins and professional-grade tools for mixing/mastering.

For looping and live playback, I use Ableton Live. It's rock solid and intuitive for live work.

There is so much overlap in all 3 that I could use just one, but each has a niche they fit in well.

FWIW, I recommend against Logic. Its workflow is awkward (ironically, ilLogical) and unlike that of many others DAWs.

That said, when it comes down to it they all mostly do the same thing. It you want the kitchen sink in terms of features, get Cubase. It's remarkably complete and deep. If you want fast, get Studio One. If you do loops, use Ableton. If you want cheap and skinable, get Reaper. And if you want to induce suicide, get Logic. *ducks and runs*

FWIW, I recommend against Logic. Its workflow is awkward (ironically, ilLogical) and unlike that of many others DAWs.

That said, when it comes down to it they all mostly do the same thing. It you want the kitchen sink in terms of features, get Cubase. It's remarkably complete and deep. If you want fast, get Studio One. If you do loops, use Ableton. If you want cheap and skinable, get Reaper. And if you want to induce suicide, get Logic. *ducks and runs*

I don't necessarily disagree - Logic Pro X took me some major adjusting. Logic 9 had a much more intuitive interface.

Did you say what platform you're on? PC or MAC? I take the less traveled path. My favorite is DP. But I also have and use PT, Logic Pro, Ableton, Reason. Something else. I like DP because I've been using it since version 1.2 in the mid 80s when it was just a midi program. I know it like the back of my hand. PT is very similar so I don't have a problem going back and forth. Logic is just not logical to me. I know it is but it's so different that it gives me s headache. Ableton I haven't used in years. Reason I haven't used in even longer.

They're all good. It just depends on your workflow. Logics great because it's inexpensive and has all those great Virtual Instruments. But I have so many I don't need the built in ones.

I have a peculiarly strange set up with multiple interfaces. DP handles these better than the others since I don't have to rely on core audio to select the interfaces. It's fine within DPs audio engine. I like the way the inputs and outputs are laid out. Logic just doesn't like the way I want to think. So I'm constantly fighting it.

Cubase mostly, as that is what most of us in the band also have, and what our guy who mixes us uses. For my own use I'm still a huge fan of Adobe Audition and even still its predecessor Cool Edit Pro. It's what I'm used too.

I bounce back and forth between Samplitude, Fruity Loops, and Acid.

I have an AMD box that did not play nice with the trial versions of Studio One and Reaper.

Pro Tools was a little too pricey for what I use DAW's for & I found I am missing none of PT's features in the other DAW's.

Reaper. The price is right, updates are frequent, support is good, and there are good tutorials like Reaper Mania on YouTube. You can try the trial for as long as you like without losing any features.

I wish more companies respected their users like Reaper. Too many plugins want to treat their patrons like criminals by forcing crap like iLok down your throat and then charge obscene amounts of money for what they offer. /rant

I find Logic to be one of the most intuitive, value packed DAW's out there. I haven't tried them all but have been using DAW software since Cakewalk in the late 80's.

Back
Top Bottom