Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

I'm a bit confused by this statement...I must be misunderstanding something. I thought when you used a guitar cab., you should turn off cab. simulation (pg. 31 of the manual). Will the Motor Drive parameter in the Cabinet block still work?
What its saying is that for the case where you want to run one line to a cab (without cab sim) and one line to FOH/FRFR (with cab sim) you can use the Motor drive in the cab block (which is slightly compromised by static defaults) to avoid having the non-cab-simulated line out having the motor drive applied to it. This way the real cabinet which has a real physical guitar speaker in it does not have the emulated motor drive added to a real cabinet which already has its own 'motor drive' in real life.

If you only run FRFR or always with cab sims you can just use the one inside the amp model which is more accurate.

If you always run with a power amp and cab always leave it at 0 in both places.

I don't understand how you can program all of this so quickly. It is amazing how you turn all of these complex ideas into code.
Cliff is clearly brilliant and FAS is a world class company, but TBH, in software some things that seem really complicated are easy/quick to implement and some things that seem simple are brutally difficult and would essentially require a complete rewrite. This is assuming you are already technically skilled.

Is this for doing Strymon-ish stuff?

Well the Axe I have access to is at work so I can't test until tomorrow (only an AX8 at home). But my assumption is this parameter works more like the Diffusion on the Delay block - which can be used to turn the Delay block into a convincing reverb. Add that to the MTD block and... drown in the washy (pitch-shiftable) bliss. The existing MTD Diffusion is for a different purpose, to diffuse the multiple lines together. I have never been able to get the MTD Plex/Detune/Shift extremely diffused and smeary by itself, it always required adding a reverb block (to my ears).

And this is why I've been using this stuff since Ultra v4. I really hated motor drive in the beta. But using it in the amp block I'm digging it.
I just A/B'd messing with it i the cab vs. amp block and still don't like what it does to the beginning of notes in the cab block, in the amp block particularly for chords it's awesome. How about a modifier for it so I can use an expression pedal?
Also the shimmer drive is glorious. Can't wait for that to be ported to the FX8.

Awesome!! What Quantum did for tone & amp mojo, motor + optical is doing for dynamics, in-the-fingers feel and depth/width of effects around guitar. It really lets the guitar fit into and fill out the landscape of a mix.

The "instant hit album" description is correct because motor does chewy/juicy dynamics of a cranked studio cab, and optical is similar to a mastering compressor. The two act like cascading compressors. If you don't overdo them, the result is amazing - I'm still trying to accept how good it felt, sounded and fit today.

Any studios that were sitting on the bench about getting an Axe-Fx will be jumping off soon. The plug/play is too economical to ignore!
How is the opto similar to a mastering compressor? Lord have mercy... An opto on the 2 buss will pump too much.
I mean if we're really going down that road Cliff is gonna be busy modeling a while lots stuff...
A varimu like a Manley or Fairchild for the 2 buss, or even a VCA like the API 2500.

But I digress, the reason an option is great on vocals, and I certainly don't see a need in overdriven guitars for one it mosdef not gonna make it a hit song sound.
On a lead vocal different story the non linearities/overtones/break up of say a LA2A is what helps vocals pop out.
And the slowest setting on say a 1176 is faster than a LA2A before we go into more guessing... Why it sounds cool. :)

Exciting! Looking forward to hearing the results! Thank you FAS for your consistently excellent work! Ciff, have fun on a well deserved vacation!

Back
Top Bottom