York Audio Presents: The Bipolar Pack

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi everyone! Justin York here. I am thrilled to finally unveil my first Cab Pack exclusively produced for FAS called "The Bipolar Pack." It features a handwired Class-A 15W 1x12 with an Alnico Blue and a straight Recto 4x12 with 70-Watt Vintage 30's. The vision behind the pack was to deliver true and honest captures that accurately represent these cabs and give the most realistic experience possible when used in conjunction with the world class amp modeling of Fractal products.

To illustrate the accuracy of these captures, I mic'd up my favorite modded Marshall head through the Recto cab and performed a riff. Then I shot an IR and used the HBE to match the tone and feel without using any tone match EQ or anything. The clip below switches between the real Marshall and the Fractal at various points.

The two are so close, that any difference would be negligible in a mix or playing with a live band. You truly get the tone and character of these cabs.

The Class-A 15W is a very special cab that plays well with all Class-A style amps. It's open sounding and has wonderful midrange clarity with the right amount of chime and body.

For more information on the pack regarding mics used and Cab Pack layout, go here.
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/York_Audio_The_Bipolar_Pack_p/fas-801-0033.htm

Thanks for stopping by. I hope this pack inspires you as much as it's inspired me. I can't wait to hear the music you make with these! Feel free to ask any questions you want.

-Justin York
York Audio

Guys, you're going to love these. They're as close to close-your-eyes-and-feel-the-cab as any IR I've heard. You can hear the box behind the speaker.

The AC-15 mixes are becoming my go-to for my DC-30 preset. For a high-gain treat, try the ribbon captures on the Mesa.

Guys, you're going to love these. They're as close to close-your-eyes-and-feel-the-cab as any IR I've heard. You can hear the box behind the speaker.

The AC-15 mixes are becoming my go-to for my DC-30 preset. For a high-gain treat, try the ribbon captures on the Mesa.

+1

How does the Recto cab compare to your Ownhammer collection?

Well it was shot with different gear, different mics, and in a different room, so while it's the same cab, it sounds quite a bit different. It has less sizzle (but still retains natural sizzle) and a more focused low-low midrange to it compared to the JYC.

The mixes are different as well. So if you like multi-mic mixes, I included 15 for the Recto that work well across a multitude of amps.

If you've ever played a Recto IR and thought "this doesn't quite sound like a Recto to me," you should check this pack out.

For the record, I'm still a huge fan of Kevin's and I'm beyond thankful that he taught me how to do this. Our flavors are just a little different, but as they say, variety is the spice of life.

Since I bought the OH California Duo Pack I've been a big fan of the Scott Peterson mixes which seem to capture the sound of a cab very well without stressing the typical features of a specific microphone too much. They seem so balanced.

Does your cab pack include any mixes similar to these? I could use a some nice mix IRs of a standard/oversized Mesa cab and I've grown tired of trying to mix IRs myself.

Does your cab pack include any mixes similar to these? I could use a some nice mix IRs of a standard/oversized Mesa cab and I've grown tired of trying to mix IRs myself.
The Bipolar Pack includes very good mixes for each of the two cabs. The mixes, while different from each other, all make me feel like yeah, that's the cab it's supposed to be. There are also Producer Favorites for the single-mic captures.

Last edited:
ya i loved your mesa in the OH pack, might give these a shot

Thanks! Definitely let me know what you think if you end up picking up the pack.

Since I bought the OH California Duo Pack I've been a big fan of the Scott Peterson mixes which seem to capture the sound of a cab very well without stressing the typical features of a specific microphone too much. They seem so balanced.

The Recto has 15 multi-mic mixes. They provide a wide palette of balanced, dark, and bright tones If you can't find what you're looking for within those 15 mixes, I'll work with you and help you find something that fits what you're looking for. I tried to make this cab pack extremely easy to use with a wide variety of tonal options in order to suit the PLAYER'S hands, not just mine. I'll make sure you have what you need.

Any thoughts to releasing one demo IR? Not at all asking because I am trying to get something for free. Only asking because as most people, I own a trillion Mesa Recto IR's, so I am hesitant to pickup another one. Just a thought....

Justin, big fan here of your Ownhammer release, what can i expect from this one?

Thanks.

The Mesa will be familiar, but I think it sounds better than the JYC with a smoother top end, more controlled low end, and more detailed mids. Also, more mics have been shot in a broader range, so if you like an e906, SM7, 57, 421, or 441, you have more easy to nagivate options to hone in on your perfect mic placement as well as the addition of new ribbon and condenser mics that mix very well with the dynamic mics.

The AC15 sounds fantastic and like the Recto, has a smoother top, more controlled lows, and a more detailed midrange. I posted a clip in the recordings section that's all AC15 and sounds pretty killer.

Accuracy is everything. So if someone doesn't like these captures, they wouldn't like the real cabinet either.

The Mesa will be familiar, but I think it sounds better than the JYC with a smoother top end, more controlled low end, and more detailed mids. Also, more mics have been shot in a broader range, so if you like an e906, SM7, 57, 421, or 441, you have more easy to nagivate options to hone in on your perfect mic placement as well as the addition of new ribbon and condenser mics that mix very well with the dynamic mics.

The AC15 sounds fantastic and like the Recto, has a smoother top, more controlled lows, and a more detailed midrange. I posted a clip in the recordings section that's all AC15 and sounds pretty killer.

Accuracy is everything. So if someone doesn't like these captures, they wouldn't like the real cabinet either.

Thank you, already placed my order!

Cheers.

Will definitely purchase this one. I have been using the OH JY-MES-412 BR SM7B from the JYC with an Atomica High preset for over a year. It has been a main stay on my AX8.

Thank you, already placed my order!

Cheers.
Thanks a lot! That means more to me than you know! I can't wait to hear how they work for you, and know that I'm always here if you need any help.

Will definitely purchase this one. I have been using the OH JY-MES-412 BR SM7B from the JYC with an Atomica High preset for over a year. It has been a main stay on my AX8.

Oh man...you're speaking my language. Just...You...Wait... :) If you're an Atomica guy, try it with default settings, but bring the presence up to around 4.5 and go through the Mixes. I've also latched onto the HBE that I matched to my JCM 2000 DSL 100.

Very cool of you to let us check one of the ir. I will probably be picking these up since I enjoyed your owhammer pack.

Back
Top Bottom