FAS + UAD Ocean Way Studio Plugin

kartman

Inspired
Just curious how many FAS owners out there might also be UAD Plugin users and have the Ocean Way Studio Plugin.

I've been trying different configs using a fairly simple Axe preset. Clean tone (AMP + CAB) with very limited fx and a simple spring reverb. The goal is to add some room ambiance that might be a bit more comprehensive/flexible than the Room parameters available in our CAB block.

I've tried the plugin in Re-Mic and Reverb modes... I think I'm making some progress but I thought I'd pick the brains of the community a bit too. Any thoughts to share?

Yes, I put the Ocean way in an Aux channel on my Apollo (usually set to CAB 1 Reverb) This is demonstrated in an excellent video by UAD touting the Fender Tweed plugin by old Fractal chum James Santiago, but it applies to our FAS amps as well.

I've use the Ocean Way UAD plug with the Fractal too.

I've got the Fractal XL+, a slap delay into a room reverb into a longer reverb with both verbs set to high quality, is a stunning ambience.

AMP -> CAB -> DLY (Slap 35-60ms) -> REV 1 Room -> REV 2 Hall

To my ears a lot of guitar with room sounds are replicated with a slap delay into a reverb.

So far Ocean Way has been my biggest UAD mistake. I'm sure it's me but I just can't get it to sound good.

I've use the Ocean Way UAD plug with the Fractal too.

AMP -> CAB -> DLY (Slap 35-60ms) -> REV 1 Room -> REV 2 Hall.

I will try this... Seeing as you have the Ocean Way plug available, should I read between the lines here and say you're not a fan? I had coupons and it was on sale so I paid about 50% price for it but, even so, it's pretty pricey for a failed experiment. :(

Thanx for the input.

So far Ocean Way has been my biggest UAD mistake. I'm sure it's me but I just can't get it to sound good.

I totally respect your honesty. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't end up sharing your 'buyer's remorse'.

The reverb block in the Axe-Fx is very powerful. Turn the Early Level up and the Late Level down and you can hear the different "spaces". There's a variety of room shapes from almost square to long and narrow along with plates and springs. The Size parameter allows you to scale the dimensions.

The reverb block in the Axe-Fx is very powerful. Turn the Early Level up and the Late Level down and you can hear the different "spaces". There's a variety of room shapes from almost square to long and narrow along with plates and springs. The Size parameter allows you to scale the dimensions.
If you want to get really out there, you can attach a dynamics modifier to the reverb size parameter to make room sound larger or smaller based on your playing. That's some really trippy stuff.

I will try this... Seeing as you have the Ocean Way plug available, should I read between the lines here and say you're not a fan? I had coupons and it was on sale so I paid about 50% price for it but, even so, it's pretty pricey for a failed experiment. :(

Thanx for the input.

I really like the Ocean Way plug for "re-micing". The room sound at Ocean Way is/was legendary.

My person taste in guitar tone is more wet than room.

I have a large collection of UAD plugins. The EMT plate reverb and Dreamverb I bought first and use a lot too.

Have used the UAudio Ocean Way plug-in to good effect on a DAW using an Aux send with guitars - it is great for guitars IMHO.

On an Aux Bus in your DAW, set it up as Select Studio: OwrB and Source: Guitar and then use the Aux Send on Guitar track or input, with both the Send level and the Aux fader both at -12db to -16db to start. You can mess with the Near, Mid, and Far mics but it sounds pretty good stock. These things are for subtle room effects, not in your face stuff.

As Cliff says, you can get this kind of sound in AXE FX with Reverb block and some tweaking. I have a preset called Ocean Way sim Gtr ambience which I'm not 100% done with yet but it uses the large tiled room and a time of 0.72 sec and 30 size with no pre-delay, mix at about 14%...

I'm also a big fan of the EMT140 plate in UAudio and am working on emulating that in AXE FX... start with AxeFX Reverb: Large Plate, 3.4 sec, 40 size, 20ms PreDelay, 9% mix...nice!

Ocean Way is very, very good but it does take some time to get it "right". I use it in a very subtle way but somehow it makes magic in the overall mix. That being said, FAS competes with just about anything else out there to my ears. The UAD compressors are tops to me so those I can never do without. The LA-3 is amazing on most instruments and great for buss insert for smoothing. I will definitely be trying the new opto comp's soon though. Cant wait! Thanks Cliff and all!

Think of reverb as creating space around the guitar.
Think of Ocean Waves as putting the guitar in a space (Specifically: OW Studio A or B).

If you are treating a guitar track, or are working with reverb in a mix, the FAS Reverbs are outstanding: Its down to modifying time, reflection parameters, and EQ to create the space you want.

Ocean Ways is a really valuable plugin, but IME: It has a specific use. Its not like an LA2A which you can slap on just about any vocal and it sounds better.

For studio recording: Ocean Waves can be an asset when its helpful to create a space to pull together a bunch of disparate parts: Getting them to gel in a way you can't get with just reverb and bus compression.

For live recordings: I find it indispensable it as a restoration tool. Taking on multitracked recordings made in venues that are reflective boxes: it does an astonishing job of removing wash and getting a coherent and acceptable result.

Now THAT is a truly creative idea! I gotta give that a whirl!

But sadly, reverb size parameter does not allow a controller... I checked on Axe-Edit, and Reverb time, pre-delay, hold, mix, input gain, level or the only parameters with controllers in Reverb block...oh well!

But sadly, reverb size parameter does not allow a controller... I checked on Axe-Edit, and Reverb time, pre-delay, hold, mix, input gain, level or the only parameters with controllers in Reverb block...oh well!
I used Reverb Time, sorry about that. Very trippy effect still.

Perhaps @FractalAudio could add a modifier control for reverb size too?

I really like the Ocean Way plug for "re-micing". The room sound at Ocean Way is/was legendary.

My person taste in guitar tone is more wet than room.

I have a large collection of UAD plugins. The EMT plate reverb and Dreamverb I bought first and use a lot too.

Yep, EMT and Dreamverb (even though it's a bit long in the tooth) are my go-to's.

However I've been liking the Slate reverb a lot lately as well.

Yep, EMT and Dreamverb (even though it's a bit long in the tooth) are my go-to's.

However I've been liking the Slate reverb a lot lately as well.

I know I would love the Slate verb... holding off... out of sheer desperation :)... my plugin menu in pro tools is already so loaded... its borderline gross lol

Stacked up with Waves, Slate, McDsp, UAD....

I love my FAS Reverb plug-in and I use it in the DAW. It really is as good as any reverb plug-in on the market. The Ocean Way has a special vibe (or hype!) but it sounds good, I think it's the three mics blended thing in that particular space. But you can get that kind of sound with the FAS Reverb no problem with a little tweaking.

One thing I'd advise is to go through the Factory presets and listen, and save the blocks you like, like reverb blocks. I name mine "Cliff (name)" so I know it's factory one, and I usually start with auditioning those when I'm searching.

I have a preset called Ocean Way sim Gtr ambience which I'm not 100% done with yet but it uses the large tiled room and a time of 0.72 sec and 30 size with no pre-delay, mix at about 14%...

I'm also a big fan of the EMT140 plate in UAudio and am working on emulating that in AXE FX... start with AxeFX Reverb: Large Plate, 3.4 sec, 40 size, 20ms PreDelay, 9% mix...nice!

I tried these settings out last night.

They are amazeballs.

Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom