Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

Sounds like a phase issue. Again: are you that all other parameters were set the same, for both sides?

I change the room parameters: room level, room size and mic spacing, and the high and low cut. Everything else is default.

I probably need to spend some more time with it, I generally always use the same 3 or 4 IRs so it might just be an issue with the combinations I am using.

I tried the new motor drive last night with the Plexi 100W, greenback from the Player's Pack and a Les Paul. What I found was I liked a little, but not a lot. Maybe it's because the Plexi is already a fairly compressed, mid-focused amp. It just felt like if I got much above 3 the dynamics were squashed too much, along with losing some openness in the highs and lows.

I'll have to try other amps today.

Yes, I found I liked about '3' with cabs used with a Legato 100 or a Euro Red also.
This Motor Drive parameter is great now...the cab becomes more fuller, lively sounding and 'in yer face.'
When I selected nil for the parameter on the Amp Y, and flipped between X/Y, the preset on Y sounded thin in comparison.
It's really great for something like this to be done to the Cab block as so much work has gone into the amp modelling...BUT the cab is so important to the sound as well.
Well done Cliff, you said you were trying to get this out yesterday and you delivered!

I tried the new motor drive last night with the Plexi 100W, greenback from the Player's Pack and a Les Paul. What I found was I liked a little, but not a lot. Maybe it's because the Plexi is already a fairly compressed, mid-focused amp. It just felt like if I got much above 3 the dynamics were squashed too much, along with losing some openness in the highs and lows.

I'll have to try other amps today.
The same here - I´ve tried it with several amps and I like it more with clean/edge of break up amps. Great for vox - ish Amps.

The Motordrive works how Cliff said - hard pushed speaker, more compression, less openness. It´s the tribute to a more authentic amp if you loose openness?
Nice to have as a extra part of the speaker, but could also be a part of the Mastervolume/Amp - the more you increase the Volume, the more the speaker will be compressed?

Trying to better understand Motor Drive, which is being described as the compression characteristics of the speaker motor (magnet assembly, I assume). Specifically, trying to understand and contrast this to to Speaker Drive.

If I understand correctly, the Speaker Drive is distortion of the speaker cone while Motor Drive is the compression of the magnet assembly?

Speaker Drive lives in the Amp block which allows it, I believe, to scale relative to the power of the amp model plus typical speaker cabinet. Motor Drive lives in the Cab block and thus requires manual adjustment based on amp model power and currently-loaded IR (especially "American" vs "Brit" speaker types)?

Related question: assuming equal "Mixer Level" settings, is the Amp block output level proportional to the current amp model? I.e.: do "loud" amps actually output a higher signal from the Amp block than lower-wattage amps, and therefor the Motor Drive in the Cab block can respond appropriately to different amp models as long as the Amp block "Level" is set identically?

Related question: assuming equal "Mixer Level" settings, is the Amp block output level proportional to the current amp model? I.e.: do "loud" amps actually output a higher signal from the Amp block than lower-wattage amps, and therefor the Motor Drive in the Cab block can respond appropriately to different amp models as long as the Amp block "Level" is set identically?
I haven't updated yet but was thinking something similar. In some ways it would make sense that motor drive is hard wired to what is coming out of the amp and it changes automatically/dynamically based on amp selection and how the cab is being hit as a result. That was case with the preamp option in cab block.

That said, I'd prefer it be disconnected vs. hard wired. This lets the user leave it at one setting irregardless of amp selection, and then dial in preferred amount with final amp selected. It might be easier for chasing tone because your feel/tone wouldn't be a moving target as you experimented with different amps.

I had a crazy week and for once didn't have a chance to update. I'm looking forward to the new compressors and motor drive on my clean to mild breakup presets.

I went back and forth between putting it in the amp block and putting it in the cab block. The advantage of being in the amp block is that it could be before the final Level control so it would be independent of the Level. With it in the cab block if you change the output level of the amp block it will affect the amount of compression and you need to readjust. The disadvantage is that with it in the amp block you have to remember to turn it off when using a real guitar cabinet. In the end I just felt it was best to put it in the cab block as this would reduce the number of "my Axe-Fx sounds compressed when run through an amp and guitar cab".

Many decisions nowadays are related to support. You'd be surprised at some of the questions we get and how much time is devoted to support. As such we're trying to dumb things down when possible.

So i've been playing all day. Been double clicking motor drive to default it. I can certainly hear difference.
I'm not just saying this but since FW 7 this box has taken on a new life. Almost everything i'm trying sounds amazing.
Even this Two-Stone stock preset with the compressor and drive turned on using the F059 cab.

It's like a completely different machine now!

I went back and forth between putting it in the amp block and putting it in the cab block. The advantage of being in the amp block is that it could be before the final Level control so it would be independent of the Level. With it in the cab block if you change the output level of the amp block it will affect the amount of compression and you need to readjust. The disadvantage is that with it in the amp block you have to remember to turn it off when using a real guitar cabinet. In the end I just felt it was best to put it in the cab block as this would reduce the number of "my Axe-Fx sounds compressed when run through an amp and guitar cab".

Many decisions nowadays are related to support. You'd be surprised at some of the questions we get and how much time is devoted to support. As such we're trying to dumb things down when possible.

Thanks Cliff. With that in mind, for us purists your general advice would seem to be: leave Amp Mixer Level at default for that amp model and set Motor Drive at 3 dB for "American style" speaker IR's and 6 dB for "British style" speaker IR's?

NEW MOTOR DRIVE LOUD IN THE ROOM (SLO100)
Amazing thick, fat and juicy tone with the new Motor Drive in the latest firmware Quantum 7.02 Beta, the new Ownhammer Players Pack IR and my great #Hawk Picks. I enjoyed it so much - I've broken the D String which I haven't done for years now.

Edit: Preset is now in AxeChange: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5334

Last edited:
Hey Cliff, I remember you posted (before the 7.00 release) that some amps required fixing in order to model them. What amps?

@Black Bitch you've probably been asked this a bunch of times before, but what are you using for your FRFR speaker there? RCF?

Thanks @iaresee - it's a Matrix Q12a I have 2 of them, but most of the time I use one as I'm to lazy to cary 2 of them around, as I need one always at home for bedroom playing too. But it sounds actually alot nicer with 2 of them and putting them a few meters apart. ;)

Hey Cliff, I remember you posted (before the 7.00 release) that some amps required fixing in order to model them. What amps?

AC30, Hot Cat and DC-30. Oddly enough (maybe not) that they are all Class A amps. The Hot Cat is still acting up. It works for about 15 minutes and then starts to squeal. I hate Class A amps. They run too hot and eat tubes. They sound great right before they die though.

The same here - I´ve tried it with several amps and I like it more with clean/edge of break up amps. Great for vox - ish Amps.

The Motordrive works how Cliff said - hard pushed speaker, more compression, less openness. It´s the tribute to a more authentic amp if you loose openness?
Nice to have as a extra part of the speaker, but could also be a part of the Mastervolume/Amp - the more you increase the Volume, the more the speaker will be compressed?

Or the more the actual power amp algorithm will, optionally, influence the motor drive?

I had a few issues with Quantum firmware tbh, at times it felt a bit 'harsh' but still good. However, 7.01 and 7.02 have been a revelation. I know it's been said so many times but I can't imagine it getting any better than this. Plexi 50 with Shimmer drive is absolutely epic.

Or the more the actual power amp algorithm will, optionally, influence the motor drive?
The level coming out of the Amp block will determine how much Motor Drive effect there is, not the power amp algorithm per se.

Back
Top Bottom