Killer AX8 tone on this video

Whoa! Rad is the accurate word!!
Steve is really old school (pedals), in the last album (transition) he used a K a little, I think is time for a F walk...
I've seen a Steve interview where he says he's sick of that hyper-processed tone he had in the 80s and that he's now tending to a more organic sound. I see in axechange that people loves this lukather 80s baroque tone...
I think a straightforward preset like yours may catch his atention easily, the axe can be as organic as you want!

As I became more organic as a person I wanted to become more organic with my sound. I don’t use any digital gear or MIDI crap. I plugged into a Bogner Ecstasy and a volume pedal, and any and all effects were done with plug-ins after the fact. I wanted to keep as clean a signal path as possible [...] I’d go to a NAMM show and there’d be a processor and I’d press it and it would say, “Luke,” and it sounded like flanger and echo returns, and I’d go, “Dude, what the … ?” That’s not what I sound like.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Interview_Steve_Lukathers_Sensitive_Side?page=2

What guitar are you playing that with? Sounds great, nice and tight and punchy. Was that a bit of "Love Ain't No Stranger" in the middle there too?

Ok,.. you asked.. :D

The Guitar: 1986 Kramer Striker 300St.

Multi-ply body (I know right!?!)
H/S/S = HighOrder 8.9k Asymmetrical Wind w/A6 mags / TX Special M / TX Special N
500K CTS Vol Pot / 250K CTS Tone Pot / Fender 4 pole "Super Switch" With custom wiring.
12" Fretboard Radius , Med-Jumbo frets, Schaller LockMiester Floyd w/ FU Brass Block

I've had this guitar since 86 and I've rebuilt it at least 3 times over the years (Still original paint though ) It's kind of my Go-To guitar for developing presets and dialing in sounds as it falls somewhere in the middle and translates very well when being played through almost anything.

"Love Ain't No Stranger" - Uhm,.. not intentionally,.. more so just some mindless noodling to test out the preset :confused:

Multi-ply body (I know right!?!)
H/S/S = HighOrder 8.9k Asymmetrical Wind w/A6 mags / TX Special M / TX Special N
500K CTS Vol Pot / 250K CTS Tone Pot / Fender 4 pole "Super Switch" With custom wiring.
12" Fretboard Radius , Med-Jumbo frets, Schaller LockMiester Floyd w/ FU Brass Block

I've had this guitar since 86 and I've rebuilt it at least 3 times over the years (Still original paint though ) It's kind of my Go-To guitar for developing presets and dialing in sounds as it falls somewhere in the middle and translates very well when being played through almost anything.

"Love Ain't No Stranger" - Uhm,.. not intentionally,.. more so just some mindless noodling to test out the preset :confused:

Those Schaller Floyd's are the bomb. Really cool guitar, I love guitars that have a story like that. What do you like about A6 mags up against A8's or A4's?

Those Schaller Floyd's are the bomb. Really cool guitar, I love guitars that have a story like that. What do you like about A6 mags up against A8's or A4's?

Actually the Story is much more interesting... I was 18 and had an old Hondo II Les Paul copy for my main guitar back then,.. I didn't have a lot of money to say the least, and one night I was on my way home after work in the dead of winter and my car froze up on the road (about 1am) ... So I hitched a ride home and got a call early the next morning from the Sheriffs department asking me if I knew my vehicle had been vandalized ... :eek: .... so my dad drives me up there and as we pull up I see my Les Paul poking out of the back window .... they had used my guitar to bash out my windows and stole the rest of my gear (Amp and FX)... fast forward a month or so, I had pieced my LP back together the best that I could and it was limping along, ... well our Youth Pastor at the time had bought this Kramer so I could teach him how to play lead guitar,.. which he never got around to learning. So one day he came by the house as he was getting ready to leave for Africa to be a missionary, and he gives me the Kramer for a birthday present... I used that guitar exclusively all those years as one of my main gigging guitars,.. and it's still one of my "Go-To" guitar to this day,... even though that thing really isn't "Worth" much money,.. it's priceless to me :)

So,.. going back to the Mag thing,... That Kramer is inherently "Dark" sounding do to the Multi-Ply body,.. so we found that the A6 was a good compromise in brightening it up,.. Typically I'd go with an A5 or something in that area on a "Normal" guitar ;)

Actually the Story is much more interesting... I was 18 and had an old Hondo II Les Paul copy for my main guitar back then,.. I didn't have a lot of money to say the least, and one night I was on my way home after work in the dead of winter and my car froze up on the road (about 1am) ... So I hitched a ride home and got a call early the next morning from the Sheriffs department asking me if I knew my vehicle had been vandalized ... :eek: .... so my dad drives me up there and as we pull up I see my Les Paul poking out of the back window .... they had used my guitar to bash out my windows and stole the rest of my gear (Amp and FX)... fast forward a month or so, I had pieced my LP back together the best that I could and it was limping along, ... well our Youth Pastor at the time had bought this Kramer so I could teach him how to play lead guitar,.. which he never got around to learning. So one day he came by the house as he was getting ready to leave for Africa to be a missionary, and he gives me the Kramer for a birthday present... I used that guitar exclusively all those years as one of my main gigging guitars,.. and it's still one of my "Go-To" guitar to this day,... even though that thing really isn't "Worth" much money,.. it's priceless to me :)

So,.. going back to the Mag thing,... That Kramer is inherently "Dark" sounding do to the Multi-Ply body,.. so we found that the A6 was a good compromise in brightening it up,.. Typically I'd go with an A5 or something in that area on a "Normal" guitar ;)
That's an amazing story dude!

You can download the bundle (preset+IR) in post #13 of this thread!

Yeah! I dig Kramers from that era, years ago I discovered a red Kramer Focus and get hooked...now I have a japanese trio!
25151189122_47a4f0ec56_k.jpg

All came with original german OFR, from right to left (in order of acquisition):

1. Red one is a Focus 3000 from 1985 (japanise counterpart of the Pacer Deluxe USA), HSS and 5 positions strat switch with Duncan Invader bridge, Lace Sensor Gold center, Dimarzio Tonezone-S neck
2. Natural one is a Focus 6000 from 1988 (Pacer custom I), in the spring cavity I can see that it was metallic blue, but previous owner took the paint off, HSS with a miniswitch for each pickup, original pickups that sound very good
3. Blackie is a Focus 2000 from 1987 (Pacer Imperial), HH with 3 position gibson type selector and a Duncan JB zebra in bridge position, she asked for a half step down tunning and is killer for Cantrell stuff

I love them!

Last edited:
You can download the bundle (preset+IR) in post #13 of this thread!

Yeah! I dig Kramers from that era, years ago I discovered a red Kramer Focus and get hooked...now I have a japanese trio!
View attachment 38977

All came with original german OFR, from right to left (in order of acquisition):

1. Red one is a Focus 3000 from 1985 (japanise counterpart of the Pacer Deluxe USA), HSS and 5 positions strat switch with Duncan Invader bridge, Lace Sensor Gold center, Dimarzio Tonezone-S neck
2. Natural one is a Focus 6000 from 1988 (Pacer custom I), in the spring cavity I can see that it was metallic blue, but previous owner took the paint off, HSS with a miniswitch for each pickup, original pickups that sound very good
3. Blackie is a Focus 2000 from 1987 (Pacer Imperial), HH with 3 position gibson type selector and a Duncan JB zebra in bridge position, she asked for a half step down tunning and is killer for Cantrell stuff

I love them!

Oh HECK YEAH!!!

I've got about 12 now I believe,.. almost all are Focus 3000's and two Striker 300st's ... The Focus line as sort of a "Best Kept Secret" kind of thing IMO .... ;)

Also, I gave my oldest son (who's 15 now) a Red Focus 3000 that's just like yours,.. I got it all dialed in for him (I run a small guitar and amp repair shop..) He loves it!

Also, I gave my oldest son (who's 15 now) a Red Focus 3000 that's just like yours,.. I got it all dialed in for him (I run a small guitar and amp repair shop..) He loves it!

WERNER1 - Interested to know about your shop? I am from Centralia, IL need some work on a Vox AC15? It is a newer C1. It is my sons. I am over your way a lot.

Back
Top Bottom