First FRFR experience. Holy crap!

withfoam

Inspired
I got my Axe-Fx II XL+ back in November and have been really (read: thrillingly) pleased with it so far. It has cured my GAS for pedals and amps, as well as given me so much more. The next logical step was FRFR, since I didn't want to keep routing it through the effects loop of the head I have (which also wasn't really blowing me away sonically). I wanted a tight, lean rig that sounded true to what I've been hearing in my headphones.

I messaged @MicFarlow at XiTone on here after reading so many glowing reviews and I was impressed by a custom cab that he did that featured a more traditional guitar cab grillcloth. I also love portability and wanted to see if he could do a 10" instead of a 12" speaker. Not only was he able to come through on both, he was also able to do it all in a wedge.

I present to you, my XiTone active 10" wedge with guitar grillcloth.

XiTone-1.JPG

XiTone-2.JPG

The sound out of this wedge is amazing. Spot on true to what I've been hearing in my Sennheiser HD600 headphones and talk about bedroom volumes. I was able to play through it, route audio from my computer through it, and all at an amazingly low volume (after the kiddos went to sleep). This morning, I got to push it a bit harder and it delivered. Sweet tone and amplification of exactly what I wanted.

Thanks so much, Mick! I can now join the roster of "Mick is amazing and does incredible work."

If you're in need of bedroom volume, but want something to take out, I've now seen firsthand that FRFR cabs can deliver.

Very cool! I use Sennheiser HD 600s for headphones too so that's good to hear they translate.

So why is there one silver bolt/screw on the side?

Per Mick "Every time I install one of those it serves as a reminder to me that I should treat others as I'd want to be treated because we are all different on the outside but have the same feelings on the inside.". Waiting on 2 cabinets myself. I really suck at waiting!

I got my Axe-Fx II XL+ back in November and have been really (read: thrillingly) pleased with it so far. It has cured my GAS for pedals and amps, as well as given me so much more. The next logical step was FRFR, since I didn't want to keep routing it through the effects loop of the head I have (which also wasn't really blowing me away sonically). I wanted a tight, lean rig that sounded true to what I've been hearing in my headphones.

I messaged @MicFarlow at XiTone on here after reading so many glowing reviews and I was impressed by a custom cab that he did that featured a more traditional guitar cab grillcloth. I also love portability and wanted to see if he could do a 10" instead of a 12" speaker. Not only was he able to come through on both, he was also able to do it all in a wedge.

I present to you, my XiTone active 10" wedge with guitar grillcloth.

XiTone-1.JPG

XiTone-2.JPG

The sound out of this wedge is amazing. Spot on true to what I've been hearing in my Sennheiser HD600 headphones and talk about bedroom volumes. I was able to play through it, route audio from my computer through it, and all at an amazingly low volume (after the kiddos went to sleep). This morning, I got to push it a bit harder and it delivered. Sweet tone and amplification of exactly what I wanted.

Thanks so much, Mick! I can now join the roster of "Mick is amazing and does incredible work."

If you're in need of bedroom volume, but want something to take out, I've now seen firsthand that FRFR cabs can deliver.

Thank You withfoam for your kind words!

Very cool! I use Sennheiser HD 600s for headphones too so that's good to hear they translate.

So why is there one silver bolt/screw on the side?

Per Mick "Every time I install one of those it serves as a reminder to me that I should treat others as I'd want to be treated because we are all different on the outside but have the same feelings on the inside.". Waiting on 2 cabinets myself. I really suck at waiting!

Thanks Tom... to add a little more to the story...

If you think about it, that screw is serving the same function as every other screw in the cab, it just looks different. So it is with life and Tom's answer above is the rest of the story. :)

Per Mick "Every time I install one of those it serves as a reminder to me that I should treat others as I'd want to be treated because we are all different on the outside but have the same feelings on the inside....

The XiTone trademark....and why everyone agrees that Mick is a genuine dude.
Plus, it's an audio engineering fact that one silver screw makes the cab sound better!

That 10" wedge looks awesome!

I'm wondering if the Grill Cloth has any type of effect on the perceived high end frequencies vs. the open wire mess grill?.. .. I've always felt that on my old Marshall Basket weave type cabs that it scrubbed off a bit of the high end of the Green Backs,.. (?) .. In a good way actually ;)

Very cool. Is it powered or not?
Yeah,.. wondering if it has the same power section as the 1x12 version ( it it's a powered version that is...)

Also wondering about the Low end freq. response in comparison to the 12" one... .. Hmmm...

I've got a pair of Xitone powered 1x10 wedges and they low end response is fine for me but I'm not looking for any earth-shattering bass either. I bought them about 4 months ago and they came with the new Matrix Elements power module with the DSP. As far as

Looks amazing! I've got three passive 12" wedges and I'm very happy with them.

I remember when I got the second one and noticed it also had a silver screw, I sent Mic an email and got a similar reply. I think that really speaks volumes about him as a person :)

Great job as usual @MicFarlow!

Yeah,.. wondering if it has the same power section as the 1x12 version ( it it's a powered version that is...)

Also wondering about the Low end freq. response in comparison to the 12" one... .. Hmmm...
It is powered. It has a Matrix GM-XT 100.

Back
Top Bottom