Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

Has anyone noticed that resetting the cab block now defaults the Hi-Cut to 10k? Is it something new or is it a bug?

Any user adjustable parameter is free to default to any value we wish. If that happens to be different than before that doesn't make it a "bug". If you prefer a different value then set it to a different value. Most engineers, producers, etc. use a lowpass on close mic'd guitar tracks. We happen to think it sounds best with a little lowpass so that's why it defaults to that value. Don't like it? Use a different value.

Hi

I have XL II Plus-->is there any way that i can store the replaced IR's before update as user cabs?

Thanks

Roland
I had the same question and ETOLKIEN was nice enough to help me out. Here is his response.
You can download the Firmware zip for Mark I/markII users. Inside this zip there are a folder called "UltraRes Samples" that contains these cabs. The reason for this is that MarkI/II devices have 132 factory slots only, Cliff provides the 28 additional factory cabs in a separate folder. Even if you are an XL user you can benefit from this nice gesture from Cliff.
#146 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_H-PR-55_Studio-Modern"
#149 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern"
Even if you have an XL you can keep that folder to have these old cabs
When you install the new firmware for your machine the old cabs will be lost but if you keep this folder you can install them again in some user's slots.

This update is incredible. I went from beta 2 and I'm feeling a huge difference (to the point that I'm wondering if I reset my amps properly in the betas??). AC30 TB, Shirley 2, HBE (not got on with that model before) all amazing and far easier to dial in for me. Must try the Matchless next....

Added five new cabs comprised of our favorite mixes from several of our latest cab packs (only available for XL and XL+):
- 1x12 Class-A 15W Mix
- 1x15 Vibrato Verb Mix
- 2x12 Class-A 30W Mix
- 4x10 SuperVerb Mix
- 4x12 Greenback Mix

:(Nope.. At least we are still getting updates....:)

Maybe they can be added to the Ultra Res folder in the Mark I/II zip?

This update is incredible. I went from beta 2 and I'm feeling a huge difference (to the point that I'm wondering if I reset my amps properly in the betas??). AC30 TB, Shirley 2, HBE (not got on with that model before) all amazing and far easier to dial in for me. Must try the Matchless next....
Matchless is insane good.

Sweeet!
Been on Quantum 4.01 for a while and just updated.
Decided to go through every single amp to see if I could find any replacement for the models I currently use, actually found quite a few amps that I never got to sound good previously, however, after narrowing down my options the Friedman HBE still wins(though I am changing to V2 instead of the regular HBE).
Thanks!

Any user adjustable parameter is free to default to any value we wish. If that happens to be different than before that doesn't make it a "bug". If you prefer a different value then set it to a different value. Most engineers, producers, etc. use a lowpass on close mic'd guitar tracks. We happen to think it sounds best with a little lowpass so that's why it defaults to that value. Don't like it? Use a different value.
Hey Cliff! I use it lower than that but since it defaulted to 20k when I reset the cab earlier, I thought I'll ask. This in fact makes life simpler. Thanks for clarifying. Cheers!

Is it just me or is anyone else not seeing Brit 800 #34/Santiago model appearing in Axe-Edit? Just updated it and still not there. Bug?

Good info. I've been considering knocking a bit of the freq range out the IR I use of my own cab. Just because I'm conscious of keeping the IR in the right ballpark for live use. At the minute it's wide open, but now I'm going to try adjusting it a little.

It would be cool to have a marker in axe edit and/or the front panel which indicates the default value of each control. Let's say an amp's master defaults to 7 and there would be a dot at the control's 7. That way one would instantly know which values deviate from defaults.
The more people we have asking for this, the better. Users need some breadcrumbs to crawl back out of (or into) the Rabbit Hole.

After installing Q7, I've been checking my "amp+cab" presets, which accompany The Guide To The Fractal Amp Models.

So far every amp type I auditioned (after reselecting the amp type) sounds great. Q7 is a noticeable, significant improvement, no doubt about it.

I do recommend to reset (= re-select) the amp type in every preset, to force the model to load the new defaults.

As others already have written, it's getting less necessary to fiddle with parameters. The adjustments I apply are minor, and are limited to basic parameters (plus making use of the new cabs).

Last edited:
A yes/no question that's been asked probably a million times with different wordings, but almost every time I see different answers.

Say I'm on Q6 with an AMP block on X, and I update the FW to Q7. I copy the AMP X to Y. Then I select another AMP for X, and select back the original AMP (i.e. "the re-selection"). Then I compare the X/Y values and copy every parameter value from Y to X so that all paremeter values are the same. Do the X and Y now sound identical?

As a MARK I user I am grateful that Cliff has put in the extra work to keep us in the update loop. I feel kind of like a jerk for even asking about the Archon but I thought it had been mentioned as in the works for this update... that would have been awesome, while I have never played one I do dig the clips.

As I am painfully aware that my fw update expiration is quickly coming, I can say that if I get nothing else new I can surely be content with what I've gotten. I've had this unit since December of 2011, I want to say it came with fw 3.04 or something like that, the improvements over the last 5+ years have been amazing, it went from being a better option than my Line 6, Boss and Randall MTS gear live and better option than Amplitube, Revalver, Guitar Rig for recording to being as good as the real thing. And better in some cases...

All of that said if I could have any more wishes for my unit they would be; for the comp pedals to maybe get an update, possibly including the addition of a Barefoot Pale Green, the flange get some love, maybe even adding a MXR, and the addition of an OCD and DS- 1, maybe a Maxon 808 for extra credit, and an easier way to set up auto wah and auto volume swells. But honestly at this point I feel a bit greedy asking for any of that. This truly is my single best music gear purchase ever.

Back
Top Bottom