Can't connect to AX8-Edit

AdamIler

Help!!! My laptop recognizes my AX8 but axe edit won't. And no I don't have chrome running at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_5843.JPG
    IMG_5843.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5842.JPG
    IMG_5842.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5841.JPG
    IMG_5841.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5840.JPG
    IMG_5840.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 34
Try a different USB port. Don't know why, but I have one on my laptop that won't work with AX8 and the editor, even though it works with everything else. I move to the other port and, it works.

I also struggle with the AX8 not connecting to AX8-edit from time to time. This mostly happens for me when I power up the AX8 *with* the USB cable connected. When I power the AX8 up without the USB connected, it seem to help.

Try powering down the AX8 and close AX8-edit. Remove the USB cable from the AX8 an then power it back on. When the AX8 has booted completely, connect the USB cable and launch AX8-edit.

Please note that I am on Mac, so if this is a problem related to the Computer OS, this might not work for you...

I leave my laptop connected to AX8 at all times. I sometimes experience that AX8edit does not connect. When that happens, I leave AX8edit open, power off AX8 and power it back on - That usually solves the problem. I haven't really seen any correlation to whether Chrome is open or not.

I leave my laptop connected to AX8 at all times. I sometimes experience that AX8edit does not connect. When that happens, I leave AX8edit open, power off AX8 and power it back on - That usually solves the problem. I haven't really seen any correlation to whether Chrome is open or not.
Chrome definitely can hijack the MIDI over USB port on the AX8. When that happens, it's not enough to just close the browser, you have to ensure that it is not running in the background. Fractal Audio has tested and confirmed this.

I've had situations where I had to kill "phantom" Chrome processes to get connectivity back. I've had other situations when there were no Chrome processes running, but I still couldn't connect.

Chrome definitely can hijack the MIDI over USB port on the AX8.
You are undoubtedly right. I am just stating that on my system (using Chrome), it does not really seem to make a difference. I sometimes have problems connecting, even without having started Chrome once since starting the computer, and most often, it connects fine with Chrome running.

Update. I've uninstalled my USB drivers then reinstalled. Now I can get one port to connect but not the other. Making it to where the unit still won't connect to my computer. Yes over uninstalled Chrome. Yes I've tried all other USB ports. Anyone else got any other tricks?

Attachments

• IMG_5876.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5877.JPG
    IMG_5877.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 25
I am wondering if someone else can check their device manager to see if there are two midi ports there, because your screenshot only shows one in the device manager and only one is connecting on the Ax8-edit. I can't check because I am at work right now and I can only connect to my system at home that is connected on a Mac. I will check the thread when I get home to see if there is any resolution, if not I will connect my ax8 to my windows machine and see if I can come up with any ideas. Maybe check your event viewer to see if you have any error messages related to midi ports on bootup?

Adam,

So it took me a while to get home, put the little one to bed etc. Jeeeezz. Anyhow, what version of Windows are you running? One thing I noticed when connected my AX8 to my PC is that we had a different icon under devices and printers, maybe we are just on different Windows versions, I am on Win 10 Pro. If you are in devices and printers and you right click on the AX8 midi icon and go to properties.
upload_2017-3-8_21-10-45.png
After you click the properties tab and click on the hardware tab it should show the status of the two ports. Can you paste a screenshot of what those two ports are showing?

upload_2017-3-8_21-12-21.png

Success. After like 2 weeks of screwing around I finally got my computer to connect to my ax8 through ax8-edit. Kinda an elaborate process. If anyone else ever has connectivity problem I suggest taking a look at this and follow the steps provided. Worked for me.

*edit- I can't post the link because I don't have 10 posts yet. Just go to the Microsoft download site and search "USB midi connection problems" or an admin could allow me to post the exact link.

Whoa, just had the same problem... wouldnt connect on either AX8 edit or fractalbot, or different usb cables and ports, and powering on and off did not solve the problem... But problem now SOLVED. By terminating the google chrome browser. Phew, i was starting to worry.

Back
Top Bottom