Most Underrated/Underutilized Amp Models

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
Hey guys, as many of you have probably done at one time or another, I sat down today and played around with some amp models that I haven't used before. I have had my AX8 long enough now that I have solid presets made for the sounds that I need live, but I wanted to jump down the proverbial rabbit hole for a while and see what tones I was missing out on.

That leads me to my question: What do you think are some of the most underrated or underutilized amp models and why? I play in a 90s rock cover band so I gravitate toward the FAS Class A, Hiwatt, and Princeton RV for clean/crunch and the JCM800 Mod, Orange AD30, and Captain Hook for higher gain. I am a rhythm player, so lead tone is not my forte. I really enjoyed playing around with the FAS HotRod today and because I don't necessarily try to emulate specific amp tones, I have really enjoyed a lot of the FAS models. Just a lot of interesting tones out there. Thoughts?

I like the DC (forgot what number it is, 50?) for covering stuff like the Gin Blossoms. Goes from clean to gnarly very well with a drive pedal.

Supro!!
When I took the plunge on my AX8, I was GASing for a Supro 1x15 Combo.

Fractal model is really good and sounds great with lots of different IR configurations.
No 15" speaker IR I like yet though...

I rely way to much on the class A amps, but they sound killer!! Vox, Morgan, Matchless.

Personally trying to stretch my amp choices right now. Just bought the Zilla IR pack and it is opening up a world of new tones!
Loving Capt. Hook, TwoRock35, Fuchs ODS.
Next I really want to dig in on the Carrol Ann amps.

I was looking for a breakup/crunchy tone to take the place of the JTM45 I had grown apart from. Stumbled across the DR Z Highway 66 which I'm really loving.

I find myself using the bassguy 65 almost for everything (I used to have a real one totally stock). I don't see a lot of love for it here but all my guitars sound great through it.

Marshall for cleans seems to be underrated. I love the JM45 set clean, and both my old TSL100 and 2205 had great clean channels. They're even underrated by FAS, since Marshall clean channels rarely gets modelled

Marshall for cleans seems to be underrated. I love the JM45 set clean, and both my old TSL100 and 2205 had great clean channels. They're even underrated by FAS, since Marshall clean channels rarely gets modelled

The JTM45 is gorgeous for clean and mild breakup. I agree about the JCM2000 cleans, my DSL records very nicely set clean.

Back
Top Bottom