FAS Plexi Shootout

Axe-Master
I've put together a run through of the same phrase played with three different levels of gain on all of (I think ) the Plexi models on my AX8. The guitar was a PRS McCarty with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and I tried to include a few different styles and intensity levels of playing. All the knobs are set where I'd usually have them on my main Plexi patches (the 6550 or 1970 100W models). Given these conditions, what's your favourite?

Was really cool to see them all side by side if you will.

I think some of the Normal channels suffered in the comparison. I definitely favored those with the Bright switch on.

I would say the 50w Hi 2, 50w Jumped and 100w High stood out.

Surprising to me, the 100w Nrml seemed to have the most bass exaggerated as the input drive increased.

Ironically I was just going through the plexi's trying to decide which one to use to re-track and old song of mine. This help immensely, while making it more confusing at the same time because so many sound so good!

Were you clipping your interface? I'm hearing some crackles in a few places... like ~8:46
Yes, that's clipping but it's probably the AX8 output stage since I'm running via SPDIF. Thanks for picking that up, I didn't account for the fact some models would be considerably louder than others.

It's hard to pick a favorite they all sounded great. I especially liked the plexi 50, and I think the scene 2 or scene 3 sounded the best on all amps. But they all sounds nice, and to give an opinion I would probably have to listen several times on each to compare.

:)

have a good one,
//ken

Hi, wow, you're living dangerous; Your neighbourhood would have killed you if you'd done this with all the real amps Mastervolume set on 10 ! :D
I tend to run Plexis between 4-6.
Howbeit personnaly the first Jump you did sounded best to me in this config, maybe put on the bright switch for the normal versions would do them some good.

Maybe check here also for some advice on Plexis :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/setting-the-master-volume.119903/

Hi, wow, you're living dangerous; Your neighbourhood would have killed you if you'd done this with all the real amps Mastervolume set on 10 ! :D
Howbeit personnaly the first Jump you did sounded best to me in this config, maybe put on the bright switch for the normal versions would do them some good.

Plexi's don't have a master volume, hence why the master is set to 10....

Yeah I'd definitely run the Normal channels with the bright switch on when dialling in a usable tone. My understanding with the non-MV amps was that the models are designed to be run with the master on 10, with the input drive acting the way the volume on the real amp would work. I'll check that thread out though, thanks for the link :)

Yes, that's clipping but it's probably the AX8 output stage since I'm running via SPDIF. Thanks for picking that up, I didn't account for the fact some models would be considerably louder than others.
I was testing a new pair of headphones, and it was kinda freaking me out. LOL

Back
Top Bottom