Somebody please convince me to NOT buy an Axe FX with my tax return.

Don't do it bro...you'll most likely not be tempted to buy another amp ever again :cool:. Notice I said most likely, I've bought a couple because they were too good of deals to pass up and at some point I'll turn them for a profit. My tube amps and preamps have only been turned on when demoing them to the people who buy them since buying my Axe-fx ages ago.

Don't buy it unless you can afford something comparable quality to monitor it. Depending on whether you are gigging or not, options include powered monitors (can also use with your computer), good ones start around $600 and up; an FRFR monitor, $600 and up; or a guitar cab and amp (forgoing amp and cab sims, but a great live sound). Note you will also have a learning curve (greatly shortened with all the improvements). You may lose about half your practice time for a month or two as you figure it out and explore all the options.

If you don't buy an Axe FX then you can watch more TV and chase cats.

watch_tv.jpg

chase_cats_bike.jpg

Pen Pineapple Apple Pen!!!!!!

All you have to do is realize that it is not the gear that matters, it's all in your hands, your note selection, your rhythm and muting techniques, your...., this coming from someone who owns two and plans to buy more. Just buy it already.

How about you get a used one? That way you'll save a little bit of money but still get what you want. I got a used Mark 1 off craigslist for $1300 a while back and it's been worth every penny. It's basically solved every guitar tone problem I've ever had.

Asking this crowd to talk you out of buying an Axe-Fx is like asking your mates at the pub to talk you out of having a beer. A really, really tasty beer. With dancing girls and pyrotechnics.

Don't buy it unless you can afford something comparable quality to monitor it. Depending on whether you are gigging or not, options include powered monitors (can also use with your computer), good ones start around $600 and up; an FRFR monitor, $600 and up; or a guitar cab and amp (forgoing amp and cab sims, but a great live sound). Note you will also have a learning curve (greatly shortened with all the improvements). You may lose about half your practice time for a month or two as you figure it out and explore all the options.
I have a solid state class D power amp going into a Mesa cab. I'm using it with a GSP1101 right now and the power amp / cab combo works great. The other guitarist in my band plays his Axe FX through another class D amp into a Marshall cab. He's happy with his rig too. I also have studio monitors for practicing alone. And I embrace the GUI of Axe Edit. I've messed with it a bit on my bandmate's rig. It's pretty simple at first glance, and I am awesome at Googling things.

This is the wrong place to post in if you want to be talked out of buying FAS products ..
nothing but very happy customers in here :)
Once you've bought one, you will join us
;)

I'll say this, the Axe Fx is one of the few things I'd buy again. With boutique amps....its always on to a different brand / flavor of the month when I was on that game. I still have amps. But I am not on a constant hunt anymore. With guitars...many have come and gone but I've never let go of my first Telecaster and Les Paul.

Back to the Axe Fx...without hesitation I'd buy it again if I didn't have one. Also, I'd like to mention that it helps to have a good way of monitoring it.

Back
Top Bottom