About clipping

The output clip LED comes on 1 or 2 dB before actual clipping. If it's just flickering, you might not hear the added distortion. If it's on solid, you'll almost certainly hear it.

Just set input level based on your loudest guitar and leave it there.
Or you can get something that manages multiple guitar outputs. An amp would handle it the same as the axe, if you set it like yes says. This is probably not only the easiest way, but also maybe the more authentic way. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, you're probably clipping the output. There's a Main Out Clip light. Check and see whether it lights up red when you hear the clipping.

Definitely turn that last Level knob down until the clipping goes away. If you need more volume, use the Out1 Level knob directly below it.

Yeah, you're probably clipping the output. There's a Main Out Clip light. Check and see whether it lights up red when you hear the clipping.

Definitely turn that last Level knob down until the clipping goes away. If you need more volume, use the Out1 Level knob directly below it.
Thanks friend :)

There is something very fundamental that I don't understand here, the meaning of the "clipping" light.

The A/D converter measures my guitar's voltage 44.1k times per second (?), and represents it as a number for the DSP algorithms to use. Is the problem that voltage on my guitar is outside the range of the A/D's ability to represent a number, so it saturates at its maximum (or minimum) possible reading?

So, does "clipping" mean "the ADC has saturated?" If not, what does it actually mean?
The Clip light lives at the other end of the signal chain—at the output. It means you're overdriving the D/A converter, not the A/D converter. So you fix it by reducing the internal digital signal level.

Reactions: kgk
And how do I know that the ADC has saturated on the input side?
Watch the IN1 and IN2 lights. The top red LED starts to glow a few dB before clipping. The INSTR input has a soft limiter that's pretty forgiving. You have to nail it pretty hard to hear audible artifacts.

How much is this in LUFS? Or how do you measure the output volume - is there a standard you use?

How much is this in LUFS? Or how do you measure the output volume - is there a standard you use?
99 LUFSballons. :)

The maximum input and output signal levels are specified in the manual.

I can not find the information in the manual. I, at least, can not make measurement incorporating perception with the "The red LED lights at -6 dB" - the programming I do without proper measurement tools is always louder than the presets. Without ever touching the red light. The volume is all around.
So how do you do it? Do you just flip between programs and do it by ear?

...the programming I do without proper measurement tools is always louder than the presets. Without ever touching the red light. The volume is all around.
So how do you do it? Do you just flip between programs and do it by ear?
Proper measurement tools are already built in. Use the VU meters. Shoot for 0 dB on the meters. That'll get you in the ballpark, with 20 dB of headroom to spare.

Make your final adjustments by ear—just like all other gear. :)

nothing, I swear :)
Ah, you're a human, not a bot. I wasn't sure, given some of the posts you've made in your first few minutes of forum membership. No offense intended. It just looked like you were in a hurry to run up a post count.

Back
Top Bottom