Getting feedback by FRFR cab and guitar interaction?

Gilmourizing

Inspired
Hi there!

My question is for the guys who use Axe Fx 2 and FRFR monitoring in live gigs.

Will FRFR interact with guitar pickups to get a feedback sound in the same way as a traditional guitar cabinet / power amp?

I have an Axe Fx 2 that I never used live. When I play it through studio monitors, even at a fairly loud volume for a studio environment (like 95-100dB), I don't get feedbacks easily. I know that in a live situation, usually the sound pressure is higher, but I'm not sure if it's only that.

I'm considering to invest in a FRFR and start to go live with Axe Fx 2, but I'm afraid that I won't get the same feedback/interaction as with a guitar cabinet.

Any of you have a live experience to share?

Hi there!

Will FRFR interact with guitar pickups to get a feedback sound in the same way as a traditional guitar cabinet / power amp?

I have an Axe Fx 2 that I never used live. When I play it through studio monitors, even at a fairly loud volume for a studio environment (like 95-100dB), I don't get feedbacks easily. I know that in a live situation, usually the sound pressure is higher, but I'm not sure if it's only that.

I'm considering to invest in a FRFR and start to go live with Axe Fx 2, but I'm afraid that I won't get the same feedback/interaction as with a guitar cabinet.

I get great feedback/swelling sustain thru the bands Bose L1. I do have to get a little closer to it as they are front of house(we use in ear monitor) but I would thing that with a FR monitor, it would be easier especially if you had a 3 way monitor or 2-way with good upper midrange/lower treble.

I'm not running a dedicated FRFR guitar monitor on stage. I hear my guitar through the QSC K10s that we use for frontline vocal and guitar monitors. (Two guitar players - I'm on electric and my bandmate is on an acoustic). We run at relatively low stage volumes, and I can routinely get controlled feedback just by pointing my guitar at the wedge in front of me.I need to be running a pretty gainy preset, but it's definitely doable.

I get great feedback/swelling sustain thru the bands Bose L1. I do have to get a little closer to it as they are front of house(we use in ear monitor) but I would thing that with a FR monitor, it would be easier especially if you had a 3 way monitor or 2-way with good upper midrange/lower treble.

I'm considering to buy a Yamaha Dxr10

I was watching Michael Shenker today on YouTube and he was holding notes and they were singing like a Ted Nugent hollow body! I always ran my AxeFx through tube power amps and cabs but have now gone frfr and haven't gigged with them yet and was wondering the same. I use to hold notes and they would sing into feedback nicely. I'm hoping through the P.A. and stage monitors I will get that same interaction.

I was watching Michael Shenker today on YouTube and he was holding notes and they were singing like a Ted Nugent hollow body! I always ran my AxeFx through tube power amps and cabs but have now gone frfr and haven't gigged with them yet and was wondering the same. I use to hold notes and they would sing into feedback nicely. I'm hoping through the P.A. and stage monitors I will get that same interaction.
You should be able to!

sustain/feedback happens when the source (guitar/pickup) "hears" itself coming from the playback device (speakers). so yes, at the right volumes it will happen. it happens with acoustic guitars all the time :D

the issue with FRFR could be the tweeter feeding back very high frequencies, but in my experience, that hasn't been an issue. something to keep in mind though if you are pumping a ton of high end though.

Please, let us know when you gig.

sustain/feedback happens when the source (guitar/pickup) "hears" itself coming from the playback device (speakers). so yes, at the right volumes it will happen. it happens with acoustic guitars all the time :D

the issue with FRFR could be the tweeter feeding back very high frequencies, but in my experience, that hasn't been an issue. something to keep in mind though if you are pumping a ton of high end though.

My concern is exactly if the right/desireables frequencies are the ones that are easily feedbacked, like in a guitar cab.

My concern is exactly if the right/desireables frequencies are the ones that are easily feedbacked, like in a guitar cab.
Feedback frequencies are all about distance from the speaker, modified by any EQ or other coloration you've got going on. So yes, it works just fine.

The tweeter issue Chris spoke of is "tweeter squeal." It can happen with FRFR ('cause...there's tweeters involved :)), but it's not common. For me, "real" feedback is what happens.

I use Atomic CLR wedges. Feedback is no problem at all if I'm turned up. Just like a real cab.
Yup I can confirm this. Don't even need to be turned up that loud, but I must admit, I have all my guitars set up to perfection so they sustain and scream, this is very important IMO. Additionally, Gigged a pair of CLR wedges for 3 years every weekend. Sometimes with IEM's, sometimes with a real cab on stage, but mostly just using the wedges in a stereo monitoring position. IMO it's better than a real cab because you have total control, and the feedback is no different. Gotta watch the bass (low freq) though as that will muck it up.

My experience is identical to Severed (although I don't get to gig as often as he does). AxeII + CLR sings!

I don't have much experience on this, but I can get feedback via my Atomic CLRs at loud bedroom levels. I did notice playing a real Fender Deluxe Reverb with the same guitar (at a Guitar Center when I bought the guitar), feedback came much easier with the real amp than using the same amp model with same settings when I brought the guitar home. This was a few months back, maybe Q2 firmware or so.

I've found it a little harder to get feedback using FRFR vs. my tube amp/pedal rigs.. at similar volumes. Not sure why though. And I'm not one to use too much drive or gain, unless it's called for.

While you should be able to get it onstage, for at home, you might check out the new DigiTech Freq Out. I saw it demoed and it's pretty amazing.

Hi there!

I have an AX8. I mostly use a plexi sound. I run stereo XLR to the house then 1/4 inch to a monitor--tried the QSC K10.2 also the Yamaha DXR 10 -neither work for shit to create that long sustaining desirable feedback. Instead I get squeal -- very annoying. I want to get rid of them. A Sound guy said I needed a 15" cab of some sort...I have a couple old pacific 15" cabs I'm thinking of retrieving and get a light solid state stereo amp, unless there's one out there with tubes. STILL SEARCHING!!!

I have an AX8. I mostly use a plexi sound. I run stereo XLR to the house then 1/4 inch to a monitor--tried the QSC K10.2 also the Yamaha DXR 10 -neither work for shit to create that long sustaining desirable feedback. Instead I get squeal -- very annoying. I want to get rid of them. A Sound guy said I needed a 15" cab of some sort...I have a couple old pacific 15" cabs I'm thinking of retrieving and get a light solid state stereo amp, unless there's one out there with tubes. STILL SEARCHING!!!
Going up to a 15" cab will just add bottom end. The feedback your looking for doesn't live in the bottom end.

Back
Top Bottom