New FAS Video w. Larry Mitchell + Free Presets!

The only things that were tweaked in the patches were drive, bass, mid, treble, (and, where applicable, presence, depth and MV) and speaker LF Resonance (to match the speaker used)

I've been trying to learn better use of the amp block spkr page.

What procedure is used to match a real speaker in a cab?

Do you change both the LF resonant frequency and level? And is it done by ear or with test instruments?

The only things that were tweaked in the patches were drive, bass, mid, treble, (and, where applicable, presence, depth and MV) and speaker LF Resonance (to match the speaker used). To "match the real deal" we set the controls the same as the amp. That was the whole point of the exercise. No advanced parameters were used.

The IRs were captured using the Axe-Fx. Nothing special was done. I think we used a mix of an R121 and an SM57 but it might have been a KSM313 instead of the R121 (I personally prefer the KSM313 but can't remember if I got my way :) ). We placed the mics on the speaker, moved them around a bit and then mixed them at the console. The preamp was the usual API that we always use.

The one thing different about the IR capture is that we mixed at the console. For some reason this can sometimes result in really good IRs. The infamous "Factory 103" IR was mixed at the console. IIRC that was at least four mics that we mixed at the console. Mathematically you should be able to get the same results by mixing individual IRs in Cab-Lab but I've never really experimented with it much. I think part of it is the slight phase difference that gets lost because the individual IRs are minimum-phase transformed (but you should be able to replicate this by adding a little delay to one or more IRs).
Sorry for asking again but by mixing in the console does it meen that you cut the Lows and the Highs in the mix?

If this is the wrong place to ask please forgive me. I'd like to try the presets but I'd like to be sure I don't loose my current presets ( 1-10) How can I download them to, for an example, #s 20- whatever?

If this is the wrong place to ask please forgive me. I'd like to try the presets but I'd like to be sure I don't loose my current presets ( 1-10) How can I download them to, for an example, #s 20- whatever?
Use Axe Edit. Select an empty preset slot! Press the import button and choose the preset file you wish to import! Then, you can listen to it and edit it as you wish! If you don't have any free preset slot, any preset you import won't erase the one that was there before unless you save it!

Nah just download it and drag the preset you want from the bundle folder into Axe edit where the preset name is and bang :)

The double verb? I think it's the last preset in the list? Is absolutely perfect for some Purple Rain :)

Larry Mitchell has been by far the best Axe fx ambassador since the beginning! His tone with the Ultra was stellar and even better with the Axe fx II! I really enjoy those presets!! Merry Christmas to Larry and FAS team!!!
Thank you so much. I've loved my fractal gear from the first week I got it. My mind was turning. Two weeks later I had to fly to Japan and do a dream gig one off and I didn't know the ultra that well so I didn't take it .. the minute I got there and plugged in I regretted not having my ultra.. I said never again! :0). I either have my AXe fx II or AX8. Unless it's a one song blues jam at some club where it's too crazy to set up. But even then I've taken my AX8 and used it as a regular pedalboard into the front of a guitar amp. :0)

@Larry Mitchell - I wanted you to know that I loaded up these patches and they translated to my guitar and monitoring beautifully ! I added in a few of my 'go-to' effects ( Comp, Phaser/Vibe, Flanger/CE-1 Chorus, etc; ). Using X/Y I even combined the AC-20 with the Plexi and both the Clean & Dirty Deluxe .... There's some REAL magic in the Amp / Cab combinations ! With your ears for tone, I'd love to see you tackle a few more of the Amps ( providing you and the Fractal staff have time ) ....

THANKS AGAIN !

Amp settings - check. Tone-matched cabs - check. Effects - check.

Hold it, when will the TALENT-MATCH be implemented?! Feature request!!

Great tones and playing, Larry! Great job on the matching, FAS!

Great stuff, and great playing... by a fellow New Mexican, I gather!

Just for general information, I noticed that the AC-20 EF86 side of the block here is set to a 12AX7. I like it better set to the EF86.

very cool. the plexi cab has a lot of "flavour" to it. anybody know what speakers are in there? it's nice!

The only things that were tweaked in the patches were drive, bass, mid, treble, (and, where applicable, presence, depth and MV) and speaker LF Resonance (to match the speaker used). To "match the real deal" we set the controls the same as the amp. That was the whole point of the exercise. No advanced parameters were used.

I've been trying to learn better use of the amp block spkr page.

What procedure is used to match a real speaker in a cab?

Do you change both the LF resonant frequency and level? And is it done by ear or with test instruments?

I was wondering if anyone on FAS's side ever responded to the question @barhrecords asked regarding adjusting the LF portions of the amp block spkr. page? I tried these @Larry Mitchell presets out and really like what's going on with the Dirty Deluxe preset/IR..

Hmm that's for sure a Matt or Cliff question. :0) I just played guitar and smiled. Dialed some sounds on the real and Matt moved Mic's moved knobs in Axe edit etc. it all was pretty simple and quick to match the sounds though.

Hmm that's for sure a Matt or Cliff question. :0) I just played guitar and smiled. Dialed some sounds on the real and Matt moved Mic's moved knobs in Axe edit etc. it all was pretty simple and quick to match the sounds though.
I figured that might be the case Larry. Thanks for the response. Have a good run at NAMM this weekend..

Still curious if FAS could chime in and point me in the direction of how those adjustments were arrived at?

Back
Top Bottom