Can't get a great tone

Dillonski

Inspired
Hey, everyone!
I've been using Fractal for almost 2 years now, I recently sold my XL+ and moved to the AX8. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or if I've just never been good at making presets but lately I'm having a really hard time getting any tone I'm completely happy with. I can get a few okay clean and crunch presets going but nothing that makes me go "wow", and I can't get any form of high gain tone that I'm happy with, the sound feels very thin and harsh with a lack of body to it.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm feeling like I'm really battling with the unit and I'm close to trying some different offerings on the market but after hearing so many great clips of the Fractal online and at live shows, I really don't want to have to do that.
For what it's worth my guitar is a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 and I'm running direct into a pair KRK Rokit 6 G3 monitors (far from the best I know).

Thanks!

start with a blank preset, turn off input gate, add an amp and an IR that is suitable for that amp and start small. if there is still something not quite right, start changing ir's, use your ears not eyes, you will be surprised sometimes what sounds good you wouldn't have picked.

If you were happy with your tones in the XL and kept any of your preset files, you could look at the settings in the AX Edit and compare them t your AX8. When I got my AX8, (I have an FXII) I pulled up a couple of my favorite presets, and rebuilt the presets in the AX8. It was pretty easy to do, and I am very happy with the results. I did have to do a little tweaking in the AX8 to get them to sound like the presets in the FX, but it was easy to get great tone.

And if you don't have any of your old presets to try on the AX8, I'd suggest going thru the new batch of FAS presets. Not that they will all fit what you want, but they are at least known quantities. If they sound right to you, then it gives you a point to start from to design what you want. If they all sound like crap, it's probably your setup/monitors/room/etc.

If you were happy with your tones in the XL and kept any of your preset files, you could look at the settings in the AX Edit and compare them t your AX8. When I got my AX8, (I have an FXII) I pulled up a couple of my favorite presets, and rebuilt the presets in the AX8. It was pretty easy to do, and I am very happy with the results. I did have to do a little tweaking in the AX8 to get them to sound like the presets in the FX, but it was easy to get great tone.

I just started from scratch with the AX8, I wasn't too happy with my FX2 tones so I just started a fresh

I'll post something tomorrow if I get chance, thanks! :)
Where in the UK are you mate? A Local AX8 user may be able to help you out. I'd be happy to send you my go-to preset if you'd like to give it a whirl (uses factory cabs) - it was created on FW4 though - haven't had time to update and re-tweak yet! (plus obviously will sound different through your monitors/guitars etc)

Hey, everyone!
I've been using Fractal for almost 2 years now, I recently sold my XL+ and moved to the AX8. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or if I've just never been good at making presets but lately I'm having a really hard time getting any tone I'm completely happy with. I can get a few okay clean and crunch presets going but nothing that makes me go "wow", and I can't get any form of high gain tone that I'm happy with, the sound feels very thin and harsh with a lack of body to it.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm feeling like I'm really battling with the unit and I'm close to trying some different offerings on the market but after hearing so many great clips of the Fractal online and at live shows, I really don't want to have to do that.
For what it's worth my guitar is a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 and I'm running direct into a pair KRK Rokit 6 G3 monitors (far from the best I know).

Thanks!

Get the Fremen preset packs, they are amazing sounding!

Where in the UK are you mate? A Local AX8 user may be able to help you out. I'd be happy to send you my go-to preset if you'd like to give it a whirl (uses factory cabs) - it was created on FW4 though - haven't had time to update and re-tweak yet! (plus obviously will sound different through your monitors/guitars etc)

Manchester! And that would be great! Thank you so much! :D

I just started from scratch with the AX8, I wasn't too happy with my FX2 tones so I just started a fresh

If you didn't like the AF2 why would you think it's little brother would be better? The amps are the same between the AF2 and AX8. With all the modeling and non-modeling choices at the AF2 price point the world is your oyster.

Back
Top Bottom