Best Audio Interface (that will not color sound) to use with AX8?

After read the whole thread I'm almost decided to buy a Scarlett 616 2 gen. It does stereo and have S-PDIF, great. But it is USB powered (only work when the computer is on) or can I just turn the AX8 and monitors and play?

I have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen and it has it own power adaptor and works without computer. It was one of the reasons because I bought it.

I have a 6i6 1st gen. It will work standalone, but then you can't mix the rear inputs, but you can adjust the front.

You can store a mix on it with the Focusrite control, using the inputs you want, and the use it without the computer. At least is what I do with the SPDIF input.

You can store a mix on it with the Focusrite control, using the inputs you want, and the use it without the computer. At least is what I do with the SPDIF input.
Yep. But you can't change that mix stand-alone. Only the input dials on the font face. That's what I meant.

I have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen and it has it own power adaptor and works without computer. It was one of the reasons because I bought it.
Gracias compi, que bueno que hayamos espanoles tambien por aqui para ayudarnos. Pues si funciona tb sin ordenador ya me he decidido a por la 616.

Is there a small interface that only has SPDIF input and USB output? That really all you would need on an AX8.

The smallest I found when I had a look was the ESI U24XL. SPDIF and Analog in an out, but no knobs to tweak or anything like that. Works very well.

I just ordered the Apogee Duet 2 for use with Logic Pro X. The preamps are said to be really good and I plan on using it both with a condenser mic and my AX8 for an effective home studio setup.

I considered all of these, settled with the 6i6. Superb interface, absolutely no worries so far. Digital mixer is a godsend, which gives you very flexible routing options. Didn't get the KA6, because you couldn't directly monitor SPDIF (only outputs 1/2 if I remember correctly).
I stayed away from the Quad Capture for something to do with the headphone and the main out volumes being linked (I think, can't quite recall if that was the exact issue).
I plan to monitor the AX8 directly over SPDIF to the 6i6, and then record to a DAW, for zero latency tracking.
hi i got the 6i6 today and having a problem setting up world clock and routing in the mixer of the 6i6, any ideas u can give to a newbie- any ideas will be so appreciative

thanks jamie

hi i got the 6i6 today and having a problem setting up world clock and routing in the mixer of the 6i6, any ideas u can give to a newbie- any ideas will be so appreciative

thanks jamie

I caved and got the 6i6 v1 (they're selling them off cheap) but couldn't get SPDIF routing to work. I'm not sure if this is your problem but Mix Control (and DAW) must match the Ax8's 48k

I caved and got the 6i6 v1 (they're selling them off cheap) but couldn't get SPDIF routing to work. I'm not sure if this is your problem but Mix Control (and DAW) must match the Ax8's 48k
thanks man- i seem to work it out- change the time clock to 48- as well as on my MacBook pro-via"audio midi setup"

You've got it. Just watch your DAW doesn't override the sample rate and switch the 6i6 back to 44.1 (Logic does this)

Hi all
I have tried all the ways to record my afx2:
- analog out 1 with xlr
- spdif
- usb

The 3 ways give the same thing,as long as you have the same level between the digital ( usb ot spdif) and analog (i raise my afx2 out1 level knob at about 85%).
Bear in mind, if your interface doesn't have a spdif in, you can use asio4all driver to aggregate the in/out of the afx and the ones of the interface.
I did that with my old EMU 1212m to have more in/out and now with my last xr18 as it doesn't have spdif in.
i record in reaper with:
- the usb out of the afx
- get into the xr18 with usb in
- out to my poweramp/cab FRFR with the analog out on the xr18

Everything is fine with 3.3ms latency in reaper !

I just got the Audient id22. This interface has a send and return. If you use the 1/4" returns you bypass the preamps. It has a lot of latency on my system, but I don't generally use software instruments so it's not a problem for me...

You've got it. Just watch your DAW doesn't override the sample rate and switch the 6i6 back to 44.1 (Logic does this)
I have Logic X with a 6i6 2nd gen and it stays at 48k.. Just go to your project settings and change it to 48k...
Garageband does change it back to 44.1.

Back
Top Bottom