Best Audio Interface (that will not color sound) to use with AX8?

+1
I got eventually the Scarlet 6i6 and use it with SPDIF and is great
what I need to figure now is how I record both dry and processed signal this way : AX8>spdif>Scarlet 6i6>DAW

Make it easy on yourselves:

SPDIF is an easy and high quality way to record: No need to change any of your carefully tweaked settings on the AX8 from how you've got it dialed in. It's just a matter of plugging in a SPDIF cable: hit record: and get optimal quality. No signal degradation.No additional DA and DA conversion going analog out to record via XLR or TS. Easy. No complexity to break the inspiration of the moment (note: Output 1 (main) should be at/near max - see the manual). Fractal Audio thought this out very well.

I like monitoring the AX8 (via XLR) separately from through the DAW: That way, I don't have to turn on or even have a computer to play, and I listen to the AX8 monitor separately from the mix when practicing or tracking. No adjustments to the AX8 in order to record, and just a matter of unplugging cables to take the AX8 out on the town. Easiest guitar recording ever.

You don't. The processed signal is stereo, so it takes up the entire spdif connection. In order to record a dry track, you need to use the FX loop to send the dry track to the interface via an analog out.

thx guys , so SPDIF seems the way to go as I read on internet
though the Scarlett 6i6 is twice the price of the 2i2, from what you are telling me is worth paying it.

I have the 6i6 and use the AX8 through S/PDIF. Works great, sounds great. Highly recommend.

Edit: I see you're already on board. :)

I'm happy that this thread exists. I'm getting the AX8 (once they are back in stock, they are out as of writing this) and I need a new interface for recording. I'm planning on self releasing some stuff once I get the AX8, but was debating interfaces that would work. I think I'll go with the 6i6 now for SPIDF and the price point.

Now I just have to wait. -_-

Just to add my 2 cents, been using the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with SPDIF(thanks Burgs for the demo) on AX8 for last 2 months, works so good I sold my Axefx 2. Did an A/B comparison between SPDIF and analog on the AX8, couldn't tell a difference (except less cables with SPDIF).

Fractal Rocks!

i have the Apogee One but this audio card doesnt have a SPDIF,this audio card its ok or i need to buy one with the SPDIF?

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I do (with my Focusrite interface). I prefer analog connections, since I work with many different sample rates. spdif would tie me to 48 kHz. I do not hear any added noise or coloration with my analog inputs. I am sure, it could be measured, if one really wanted to, but if I cannot hear it, I do not care.

Yes, that's what I do (with my Focusrite interface). I prefer analog connections, since I work with many different sample rates. spdif would tie me to 48 kHz. I do not hear any added noise or coloration with my analog inputs. I am sure, it could be measured, if one really wanted to, but if I cannot hear it, I do not care.

ahh ok man,uff you make me save some bucks because i was thinking to buy another audio card to go SPDIF,thank you.

After read the whole thread I'm almost decided to buy a Scarlett 616 2 gen. It does stereo and have S-PDIF, great. But it is USB powered (only work when the computer is on) or can I just turn the AX8 and monitors and play?

After read the whole thread I'm almost decided to buy a Scarlett 616 2 gen. It does stereo and have S-PDIF, great. But it is USB powered (only work when the computer is on) or can I just turn the AX8 and monitors and play?

To be independent of a PC, I got a Zoom H5. Works like a charm to record and monitor using headphones. I also have a 2i4 in my PC though...

I have just checked, is it the Zoom H5 a hand recorder? Looks pretty good
Can you play in silence with headphones and record with the Zoom H5 or it oonly record physic sound?
Also I would use the interface for headphones. And for last buy a proper headphones haha, any suggestions?

I have just checked, is it the Zoom H5 a hand recorder? Looks pretty good
Can you play in silence with headphones and record with the Zoom H5 or it oonly record physic sound?
Also I would use the interface for headphones. And for last buy a proper headphones haha, any suggestions?

Yes, basically you can plug both XLRs out from the AX8 and record stereo 48k/24bit in a SD card. And at the same time you can hear/monitor it using headphones.

It can work as an USB audio interface too but I don't recommend because has a huge latency.

What I do is I plug a USB power bank to it so I don't waste my salary in AA batteries and I plug my headphones to it and gig happily and silently. I also plug my phone to the other input (because it has 4 inputs actually) to play backtracks.

If I like what I hear, I just press "record" :) Very cool composition tool.

My headphones are Audio Technica M50 but you can use whatever headphones you prefer. This is a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom