Message in a bottle andy summers sound tonematch

stefherbuel

Inspired
Based on the other thread i tried to match the andy summers sound

0.00 - 0.06 : Andy summers, original record
0:07 - end : axe fx II

i should have play with less drive here, but you get the idea !

The preset :

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5052

use with this cab (don't know how to upload with the preset in axechange ?)

http://rbul1.free.fr/JC120.syx

don't forget to activate the chorus block (uploaded the patch with this one off)

enjoy !

Last edited:
Hi All :)

I do not even dare to imagine what it could be, with a tonematch of a clean isolated track of Andy!...

tonematch is definitly a great feature!

i love this music since i'm teenager! (this was one of my first cover)

thanks to share your preset ;)

Merry Christmas !!

An interesting interpretation, but as you can probably tell, you guitar track sounds too overwhelming over the backing track.

Take this as constructive criticism, but you should ease on the chorus/flanger, apply additional noise reduction and ensure you're in tune with the original recording.

Take this as constructive criticism: know when to stop typing and take a break from the internet.
Not sure what everyone is getting so worked up over. I am giving you an honest opinion over the tone and what it is missing to be on the mark, which I equally want to see given I am the person who asked for it. You can't expect me to say "spot on, I'll eat my hat now" when clearly there are significant differences to the original recording. What rule am I breaking exactly?

Alright, I'm done. Clearly I won't be getting this tone replicated, and Axe FX is not the product for me.

your interpretation of almost everything has been the opposite of, or at least very different than, almost everyone else's. this just goes to show how everything in audio and music is subjective.

perhaps the Axe isn't for you, but with you thinking the EBYT clip is spot on, yet some of the just-as-close MIAB attempts aren't to your satisfaction, i'm not sure you will ever find the tones regardless what gear you try. i don't know what a slightly lower tuned guitar has to do with critique of a tone example, but it could point to being more about wanting to argue than finding the tone. funny though, your EBYT clip is also tuned lower than the original.

as i said before, good luck with your search. perhaps being more objective in the future could get you closer to both tones.

Last edited:
your interpretation of almost everything has been the opposite of, or at least very different than, almost everyone else's. this just goes to show how everything in audio and music is subjective.

perhaps the Axe isn't for you, but with you thinking the EBYT clip is spot on, yet some of the just-as-close MIAB attempts aren't to your satisfaction, i'm not sure you will ever find the tones regardless what gear you try. i don't know what a slightly lower tuned guitar has to do with critique of a tone example, but it could point to being more about the argument than the tone result. funny though, your EBYT clip is also tuned lower than the original.

as i said before, good luck with your search. perhaps being more objective in the future could get you closer to both tones.
To my ears, my EBYT recording sounded good with the backing track. Period. These other MIAB attempts are either too overwhelming over the backing track, or are barely evident enough to stand out. Perhaps this is subjective, but that is my position and it is an honest one. Anyway, moving on.

To my ears, my EBYT recording sounded good with the backing track. Period. These other MIAB attempts are either too overwhelming over the backing track, or are barely evident enough to stand out. Perhaps this is subjective, but that is my position and it is an honest one. Anyway, moving on.
just for another view, i thought your EBYT was much louder in the mix over the track than the original. the guitar has way too much bass frequency, and lacks a "sheen" that the original has - as i mentioned before, that you discounted, this is due to the wrong type of guitar. the B-Section you played also has wrong notes, just to mention that.

i think some of the MIAB were mixed well, and others too loud. perhaps they were trying to showcase the guitar, rather than mix it in. still, i don't know what the mix has to do with a tone comparison.

this is my last post on this whole topic. there were some genuine moments of discussion, but opinion and - in my opinion - bias and subjectivity won out. but that's pretty typical of tone and gear conversations anyway. at least no one called anyone names... i think?

Based on the other thread i tried to match the andy summers sound

0.00 - 0.06 : Andy summers, original record
0:07 - end : axe fx II

i should have play with less drive here, but you get the idea !

The preset :

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5052

use with this cab (don't know how to upload with the preset in axechange ?)

http://rbul1.free.fr/JC120.syx

don't forget to activate the chorus block (uploaded the patch with this one off)

enjoy !

Sounds great to me well done...

just for another view, i thought your EBYT was much louder in the mix over the track than the original. the guitar has way too much bass frequency, and lacks a "sheen" that the original has - as i mentioned before, that you discounted, this is due to the wrong type of guitar. the B-Section you played also has wrong notes, just to mention that.

i think some of the MIAB were mixed well, and others too loud. perhaps they were trying to showcase the guitar, rather than mix it in. still, i don't know what the mix has to do with a tone comparison.

this is my last post on this whole topic. there were some genuine moments of discussion, but opinion and - in my opinion - bias and subjectivity won out. but that's pretty typical of tone and gear conversations anyway. at least no one called anyone names... i think?

What ?
WHAT ??

WHY YOU
:)

It was recorded in one take (on my first take in fact) and I applied absolutely no additional processing or modifications after it. Yet, it still sounded much better with the backing track than any of the MIAB attempts. Why? Because the tone is much closer to the original. Period. An untrained ear would mistake it for Andy Summers. The MIAB recordings sounded out of place with the backing track, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the mixing. The actual configurations on the chorus and flanger were way off.

And yes, there was no name calling or trolling of any kind throughout this discussion, so again, I have no idea what everyone is getting so worked up over.

TBH what I actually hear is someone using a thicker pick and picking a little harder.

From 0:07 it sounds like another take where the playing dynamics where more towards forte. A super cool thing about electric guitar is that you can influence the output tone simply by changing how you attack the notes. If you have good gear you can change the tone just with your hands and that's awesome.

Alright, I'm done. Clearly I won't be getting this tone replicated, and Axe FX is not the product for me.

Well there's something you have to understand : if you want the exact andy summers sound, you have to buy the gear he used (plexi, flange etc) BUT, it will sound different, because there's a lot to do with the way it was recorded , the mic placement etc , listen to these van halen iso tracks : same guy, same amp , and same guitar all the time : it does'nt sound the same each time !( )

the good thing with axe fx is that you can approach the sound , be in the same "spirit" , but can do the same with all the sound you want, from bb king to death metal.and it's such blast to play!! .if you don't buy a gear because it doesn't sound exactly like "message in a bottle" you miss the point.

and of course, you have an old internet guy here, and everytime i saw discussion like this , i mean EVERYTIME , (people who ask "can this gear do that" ) even when they were "traped" ((you provided to them 2 original track , from another take, for exemple it was real van halen take , and... another real van halen take...) it was always "the second is not as close as real one !!!!!".ALWAYS..it's a rule.
i don't pretend my exemple is the copycat, i pretend it's close enough in the same "spirit"

that brings us to the final thing i want to say to you : axe fx is great , because you can approach "legendary" tone and make them "alive" in your hand, it's magic (cliff, your'e a genius !)
BUT , most important is music my friend take a look at this video , it's me with my band, live, no telecaster, no plexi/jc120 : a mesa boogie (shaaame) , and no flange, just a chorus.
you know what nobody cared.i mean NOBODY.even the musicians.
you don't want to buy an axe fx ? great , i have one, and going to play right now and have a blast playing it :)
have a nice day , it's just gear, it's just sound.

Well there's something you have to understand : if you want the exact andy summers sound, you have to buy the gear he used (plexi, flange etc) BUT, it will sound different, because there's a lot to do with the way it was recorded , the mic placement etc , listen to these van halen iso tracks : same guy, same amp , and same guitar all the time : it does'nt sound the same each time !( )

the good thing with axe fx is that you can approach the sound , be in the same "spirit" , but can do the same with all the sound you want, from bb king to death metal.and it's such blast to play!! .if you don't buy a gear because it doesn't sound exactly like "message in a bottle" you miss the point.

and of course, you have an old internet guy here, and everytime i saw discussion like this , i mean EVERYTIME , (people who ask "can this gear do that" ) even when they were "traped" ((you provided to them 2 original track , from another take, for exemple it was real van halen take , and... another real van halen take...) it was always "the second is not as close as real one !!!!!".ALWAYS..it's a rule.
i don't pretend my exemple is the copycat, i pretend it's far enough in the same "spirit"

that brings us to the final thing i want to say to you : axe fx is great , because you can approach "legendary" tone and make them "alive" in your hand, it's magic (cliff, your'e a genius !)
BUT , most important is music my friend take a look at this video , it's me with my band, live, no telecaster, no plexi/jc120 : a mesa boogie (shaaame) , and no flange, just a chorus.
you know what nobody cared.i mean NOBODY.even the musicians.
you don't want to buy an axe fx ? great , i have one, and going to play right now and have a blast playing it :)
have a nice day , it's just gear, it's just sound.

this. BTW, your band sounds fantastic, your singer really nails the Stingisms.

Back
Top Bottom