Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Public Beta

So far I don't like what it does at all. I need to do some more tests at loud volume. More testing needed.
The only advice I can give you is "keep it low", going past 2 it sounds like a blown speaker on low notes.
Maybe the range of the parameter could be made narrower on the final release to have more usable values.

<LOL, just came from a certain unnamed music software site, where I've been posting about multiple bugs re their software. I knew I needed some good news, so I came here. And you DIDN"T LET ME DOWN CLIFF! THANK YOU SO MUCH>

(You do realize that I've never had a bug from your software/hardware that's impacted my work ever - that's a feat. )

The only advice I can give you is "keep it low", going past 2 it sounds like a blown speaker on low notes.
Maybe the range of the parameter could be made narrower on the final release to have more usable values.
it should definitely keep a range where it's possible to get an "about to blow up" speaker. if you keep in mind that guitarists in the 60s cut their speakers to produce "distortion" it certainly is welcome to mimic that without actually destroying a vintage Greenback ;) . even with the previous Speaker Drive, it was best to keep it low if you just wanted a little drive...

I'm glad you pointed that out. I was at 6.12 which to me definitely adds a flavor of realism and in-the-room-ness (and yes, maybe fond memories of a blown speaker) to this particular vintage drive pedal type patch. But sure enough when I go down towards the low E I do detect a little bit of what you describe. But its not a problem for this patch, as its not intended to be clean.

And generally, for many things it sounds about right at 1.5 or maybe 2.00, whereas for clean stuff at around 1.00. So far that's what I'm thinking.

IMO the Hendrix sound is a bit closer via this. Can someone play some Hendrix and let me know if its my imagination..

Last edited:
Fixed wrong capacitor value in “Esoteric ACB” Drive model. Any presets using this model should be auditioned and the model deselected and reselected to reset the internal parameters.

Curious...what were the effects of the wrong capacitor value on this drive?

I love this new update. It certainly sounds more rounded to me with the speaker drive around 1.40. I've been swapping between my AX8 and (AXE2 with the new beta) using the same patches and cabs etc just to hear the difference and have to say it feels and sounds better. Thanks Cliff for this!!!

I tried it on my 5153 patch and didn't like it at all. (The speaker drive setting that is) palm muted B chord (e standard tuning) flubs out big time. Sounds nasty!

I can understand high gain players not liking what the speaker drive does... compress etc . But for me a fan of Vox's & Ritchy Blackmore in particular it's just incredible. I'm nailing his tones with this now, something that was elusive in the past. When speakers are really pushed and amps work hard there's a lot of compression going on and single lines gets thicker so to speak. I'd go so far as saying that a lot of recorded tones I try to copy these days actually sound better than the record just because the Axe is so damn good and versatile . Cliff is a genius. Hats off to Fractal audio!!!

Back
Top Bottom