FX8 MK I vs MK II noise level?

paul story

Hello,

I'm a happy FX-8 MK I user. My only big complaint is how noisy the unit is, especially when using drive blocks. If you had the MK I and switched to the MK II, could characterize your impression regarding the reduction in noise? Was it worth the upgrade? Any audio examples using the same exact patch? Thanks!

AFAIK, there is no audio difference between the two..you may want to experiment with the mix control of your drive s, especially with the new fw

According to Fractal Audio the noise floor in the new MKII is lower. I'm trying to quantify that amount. If I set up an external pedal, such as a Wampler Euphoia and match the sound in the FX8, the FX8 is significantly more noisy. This is with Humbuster cables, proper grounding etc. So, the equivlant amount of drive/gain results in much more noise. I do dig the new drive blocks. I did a gig last weekend with no external pedals (except for a Sonic research tuner... FA, PLEASE update the tuner display. BIGGER, with an option for a strobe display).

Last edited:
MKII got additional attenuator at the Input, allowing instruments to more easily with large signals (e.g. w. active electronics). This means that you do not need (as in MKI) to compensate for the loss of the input signal gain - to increased output. This operation has just brings a little less noise, but only in that connection.

MKII got additional attenuator at the Input, allowing instruments to more easily with large signals (e.g. w. active electronics). This means that you do not need (as in MKI) to compensate for the loss of the input signal gain - to increased output. This operation has just brings a little less noise, but only in that connection.

Yes, I read and understand that. I don't need, nor plan to use the attenuator. That's not what I'm asking. Fractal Audio said the overall the noise floor of the unit was reduced as compared to the MK I. What I am trying to find out is how much quieter the new unit is compared to the MKI. Would someone from FA please let me know the specs (relating to noise) or at least characterize the reduction in a meaningful way? I'd be shocked if I was the only one who wanted to know this. Thanks you.

I don't know how that could be possible. Every device of this type generates noise, especially those with OD/high gain pedals. I wish someone from Fractal would chime in on this.

The Mark II also has lower noise output buffers. The reduction in noise is around 3-4 dB IIRC. Whether or not that is audible with your particular amp is not known.

If you are getting excessive noise this usually means the output boost/pad is not set properly.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for! You're correct, that probably won't be much difference. I'm an experienced audio engineer and have been playing the guitar for a very long time, so I think I have tried most every way to configure this. I use Humbuster cables, proper grounding etc... I mostly play an old Les Paul. The pups are med to low output. What setting result in the lowest noise floor, plugged straight in? Please ignore potential input distortion (this guitar can barely hit the OL LED when I hit hard). What global setting result in the quietest FX8? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for! You're correct, that probably won't be much difference. I'm an experienced audio engineer and have been playing the guitar for a very long time, so I think I have tried most every way to configure this. I use Humbuster cables, proper grounding etc... I mostly play an old Les Paul. The pups are med to low output. What setting result in the lowest noise floor, plugged straight in? Please ignore potential input distortion (this guitar can barely hit the OL LED when I hit hard). What global setting result in the quietest FX8? Thank you in advance!

You want to set boost/pad as high as possible without clipping the outputs. Also be sure to adjust your input pad to get the best SNR.

So, you've got a drive block matched to a Euphoria? Any chance you could share? Sorry, for going off topic, but I couldn't resist :oops:

Sorry I missed your reply. I do, It sounds close. I'd be happy to let you check it out. What's the best way to send it to you?

Back
Top Bottom