Mark IIC+ Amp Model Issues

bread

Power User
Hello !

Is anyone else having problems dialling in this amp model? No matter what I do it always sounds very "dead" and lifeless. I've tried various different cabs but although there are some minor improvements (like the TV Mix F131) it still sound pretty crap. All my other presets sound great bit this particular amp has got me stumped.

I have MV on about 2 o'clock
Presence about the same
Mid and Treble are about the same
Bass around 10 o'clock

Bright switch on and bright turned up to about 2 o'clock

Etc - I'll post the preset tomorrow when I have my gear set up again.

I have a mark v and it sounds great on the mark IIC+ channel - nothing like the amp model which is unusual for the axe fx.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hello !

Is anyone else having problems dialling in this amp model? No matter what I do it always sounds very "dead" and lifeless. I've tried various different cabs but although there are some minor improvements (like the TV Mix F131) it still sound pretty crap. All my other presets sound great bit this particular amp has got me stumped.

Presence about the same
Bass around 10 o'clock

I have a mark v and it sounds great on the mark IIC+ channel - nothing like the amp model which is unusual for the axe fx.

Thanks in advance
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mark-iic-tips.112378/

and

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reset-mesa-ii-c-preset-still-problematic.111145/#post-1332096

I use Cliff's settings with very little adjustment. I haven't tried it yet with Q6, though.

Try this:

Mark IIC+ Deep model, Gain 6, Overdrive 8, Bass 2 (Cut on), Middle 5, Treble 6 (Bright on), Presence 3, Master 4, and Graphic EQ in Mark mode in a medium V shape, everything else at default.

I personally like it paired with Factory cab 55, 4x12 Pre-Rola 75 M160 (ML), but choose one to your liking.

Mark series tone stack is pre-gain like Fender blackface amps, so you have to run the Bass very low or else it gets flabby. Graphic EQ is a big part of the typical IIC+ sound as well. Nearly all Mesa amps run with a mostly clean power section and get their distortion from the preamp, so don't go to crazy on the Master on those. It tends to get more wooly and overly compressed compared to the real amp. 4 on a real IIC+ is LOUD!

Last edited:
Hello !

Is anyone else having problems dialling in this amp model? No matter what I do it always sounds very "dead" and lifeless. I've tried various different cabs but although there are some minor improvements (like the TV Mix F131) it still sound pretty crap. All my other presets sound great bit this particular amp has got me stumped....Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

These models are what I primarily use and I have no trouble dialing them in. Here's an old clip of mine that I've never posted on here, using the USA LEAD IIC+ BR/DP amp model. This is way back with the Quantum 1.05 firmware. In the current version of this patch (which I like much better), I've switched to using the USA IIC++ model, plus almost every block in the chain has been either altered or replaced. If you like this, I can give you settings/pointers on how to go about building a similar IIc+ patch.

Ignore the sloppy, out of practice, aimless playing, as this was meant as a tone test for only me to hear (and yes, I know I use way too much gain :D)

Last edited:
Try messing with the 5-band EQ more, and see if engaging the FAT switch helps (it usually does for me).
The Mesa's are notoriously tricky to dial in, but once you get the hang of them you'll probably appreciate their diversity.

Try the USA Lead+ model instead, which is the Mark IV model. That one always sounds better to me for some reason. I usually always get better results with that model, and the newer C++ is pretty good also.

Hello !

Presence about the same
Bass around 10 o'clock

Thanks in advance
On the Mk3 amps in my studio, the bass never goes above 2 or 3 (on the dial and not o'clock) and the master never goes above 3 on the dial. Normally set this at 2.5. Mids are set between 2 or 3 on the amps too. Anything else is just too wooly. Treble is about 7 and presence was different on all the ones I have owned. I have 3 Mk3's in the studio now and the presence is set between 2 and 5 depending which amp I am using. I do this on the Axefx/Ax8 too.
All my distorted rhythm and lead sounds live are MkII model in the Axefx and AX8. I think they sound great.

Try this:

Mark IIC+ Deep model, Gain 6, Overdrive 8, Bass 2 (Cut on), Middle 5, Treble 6 (Bright on), Presence 3, Master 4, and Graphic EQ in Mark mode in a medium V shape, everything else at default.

I personally like it paired with Factory cab 55, 4x12 Pre-Rola 75 M160 (ML), but choose one to your liking.

Mark series tone stack is pre-gain like Fender blackface amps, so you have to run the Bass very low or else it gets flabby. Graphic EQ is a big part of the typical IIC+ sound as well. Nearly all Mesa amps run with a mostly clean power section and get their distortion from the preamp, so don't go to crazy on the Master on those. It tends to get more wooly and overly compressed compared to the real amp. 4 on a real IIC+ is LOUD!

Hello

I found these tunings to give me a really nice tone, thanks a lot Mr Fender .
Beefy and ballsy. BTW I use de FAt switch on, with Treble on 7 and Presence on 4 or 5 according to my monitor and the level I play in my room.

These models are what I primarily use and I have no trouble dialing them in. Here's an old clip of mine that I've never posted on here, using the USA LEAD IIC+ BR/DP amp model. This is way back with the Quantum 1.05 firmware. In the current version of this patch (which I like much better), I've switched to using the USA IIC++ model, plus almost every block in the chain has been either altered or replaced. If you like this, I can give you settings/pointers on how to go about building a similar IIc+ patch.

Ignore the sloppy, out of practice, aimless playing, as this was meant as a tone test for only me to hear (and yes, I know I use way too much gain :D)

Holy s$(/ that sounds glorious! I'd love to try that patch. Great playing too.

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried and tried with various settings but in the end I gave up because I felt I was just flogging a dead horse. In Germany I think they call it "toten hosen" which means "dead trousers".

I loaded the Mark IIC++ Amp Model and boom ! The holy tone was back.

It sounds incredible - thanks for the help everyone. I'll post the preset on axe change when I get a chance.

Thanks again. Fractal is an amazing place to be.

Yeah, more polished and clearer. A little more focused. I look at the Mesa Mark models as hunks of granite that have to be chipped away at & polished, until the sculpture hiding inside is revealed. The IIC++ model just takes less chipping & polishing. :D

Yes I think you and dpeterson summed up my experience perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom