Raw amp sounds - anyone know how to get them?

Some amps interact with some speakers resulting in a dynamic high frequency boost. It creates an aggressive, biting distortion. It depends on the amp (the amp's output transformer in particular) and the behavior of the speaker as it deviates from it's rest position. You can simulate this using the Transformer Grind parameter.

Some amps interact with some speakers resulting in a dynamic high frequency boost. It creates an aggressive, biting distortion. It depends on the amp (the amp's output transformer in particular) and the behavior of the speaker as it deviates from it's rest position. You can simulate this using the Transformer Grind parameter.

I've learned more about amps on FAS forums than anywhere else. Thanks Cliff.

The more I dig into the AxeFX the better it gets.

As someone above said: Crank the volume up! And then most likely you need to reduce gain and highs again and maybe add mids.

When you start to tweak presets at lower volumes you might start to replace the missing volume by higher gain settings and add kind of a loudness EQing (to iron out fletcher-munson's curve shift), you add lows and treble and presence, so it feels full and open again...but that's not how amps work.

You need to work the other way round. When you crank up the volume as the first step and start tweaking after that you might have enough highs and lows without extreme knob settings. And you get enough pressure without higher gain settings.
That's for live playing and an amplike feeling,
don't ask me about studio situations, not my world.

Is there a formula to calculate the appropriate value based on output transformer specs (like with xformer drive)?

Thanks Yek, but i use both a CLR and an power amp with a cab. I'm not talking about amp in the room (Lord, i dont want to start that discussion again whether the Axe can get that or not).

You are probably right, it may just be the limitation of the cab IRs. But, i've ABed the Axe with other "devices" and some can get that very raw amp sound. I've also gotten it with mic'ed up amps like the Boogie and JMP1.

Note - I've had an Axe since Standard Firmware 3.0 (before the Ultra even existed), so I'm pretty familiar with the Axe.

FWIW, the cab IR filters/notches/dims certain frequencies from how it was recorded. If you bypass the cab block and you have all this high-mid crispy nastiness that you have been looking for, and you put the cab block back on and it all gets muffled and crapy, it's not the IR you should be using. Also, if that happens when you put the cab block back on, no amount of EQing will get quite the tone you're missing, cause you'll have to boost so much to fill in the holes the IR is making that 1. You'll be trying to boost frequencies that really aren't there anymore, really pushing phase problems, and 2. You'll probably be guessing by ear at the frequency/Q/dB amounts, and you'll probably be mostly wrong. icing on the cake being once you get it as close as you can, the phase will be jaaaaacked because you've got EQ fighting EQ just trying to get close to natural.

FIND ANOTHER IR where the mic was put in a better spot. Honestly just play and scroll through at random, you'll land on something stupid like a 1x12 that has all the frequencies you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom