A review after two years

ChrisCG

Experienced
So I have had my Axe Fx XL for exactly two years as of today 10/31. I never really did a “review” so I thought I would do a small one on the second anniversary so forgive if this gets long winded I'll try to not go crazy. I think when I revived my Axe Fx we were on firmware 15 or maybe 16 some place in there. It took me a couple days to really get a good feel for the unit and I played through the factory presets like most people. But really I was just itching to start making my own tones. I will say using the Axe Fx in its most basic level is pretty easy and you can get great tones.

It took me about two months to really define what my sound was going to be. And now really I just make small adjustments as my tastes do change a little from time to time. There are only two things I wish we had and trust me these are in no way deal breakers for me. I wish we had a much better option for drop tuning and it would be great to have wireless option for the MFC. As I said the tones were great back in fw 15 but now at Quantum 5.02 just wow I can't imagine anyone being able to tell the difference anymore. And the effects are amazing especially the reverbs they are so articulate and transparent certainly one of the best features the Axe has to offer.

Lastly the community and Costumer support. This forum is just simply amazing and that is due to all you fine people who dwell here daily. You guys all know who you are. So many times you might have a question or two and there is going to be at least 10 people that will post ideas or solutions to help and that's a slow day. I could go on and on but there is no need anyone who has been around here even for a few weeks knows how incredible the people here are.

Cliff you are amazing, no really I know a lot of people blow smoke up your ass when a new firmware comes out or a quick turn around on a bug fix and rightfully so. But really where you separate yourself in my opinion is your presence on this forum. You answer questions daily and you always have these great little nuggets of information that you just drop on us. Add to the fact you are in a constant state of trying to make your products better and you do all this for free is just amazing to me and it will keep me a customer for as long as I'm able to pick up my guitar and play.

Matt who is always around to help people create a tone or a sound that they may need for a song. I would be remiss if I didn't mention a few people who really gave me some peace of mind to make my purchase, Mark Day who is probably one of the best unsigned guitar players I have ever heard and has amazing tones. Cooper Carter again just a monster player who really made it seem like the Axe Fx could handle any need I had. And Chris Luke, his tutorial videos took away any fear I may have had about not being able to program the Axe Fx. This is without any doubt the best money I have ever spent on any piece of musical gear and I have had a lot of gear in my time. Thanks to the community and thanks to the entire FAS team.

Last edited:
Ditto what the OP said..

After 48 years of guitar playing and tone chasing, finally finding my tonal and sonic nirvana in the Axe.. Thank you Cliff and FAS for deliverance.

I wish we had a much better option for drop tuning
What do you mean by that exactly? I'm just curious because I have been considering this unit for a year or more and primarily drop tune and just bought another 7 string so I can double drop tune lol

What do you mean by that exactly? I'm just curious because I have been considering this unit for a year or more and primarily drop tune and just bought another 7 string so I can double drop tune lol

Sorry I just saw your question, the drop tuning in the Axe Fx or ax8 is done with the pitch block. It works for a lot of people just fine for me I notice the latency too much for it to be a viable option. I use a Digitech drop pedal. I'm sure at some point Cliff will fix this he is kinda a perfectionist so any little thing probably makes him crazy lol the unit is great I can't recommend it enough f you need to use a bunch of turnings then just slap a Digitech in front of it and you are set.

I thought I would drop my comments here as it has been over 2 years for me too.
Simple: I play it almost every day, its worked like a charm and the updates...well...I am so appreciative...thank you fractal.
I bet I am not alone here but the time I've saved futzing with hw nonsense cannot be understated.
Although you might get kicked a little bit around here coming to grips with the axe's operation the folks who frequent here
and offer up free assistance have been so helpful...so members here...I salute you. ;)
I called into service once with an infreqent freeze on start up...its been probably 4 months since it last happened...well
the process was easy and the fractal support person was helpful and willing to engage.
Who is left? The moderators? Well, those guys are nothing more than a @#$%^&*(....nope...even you guys are good.
What's next ? sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya? aw hell no...but hell credit where credit is due. Thanks all. :)

Back
Top Bottom