FX8 In Post L/R connectors and Cables

stratamania

Fractal Fanatic
Hi Folks,

A good possibility that I might be able to get an FX8 Mk II. In advance of that I have been having a read through the manual v3.0 again.

From Page 9 Rear Panel.

IN [POST] L/R – (Balanced 1/4” Tip-Ring-Sleeve Jacks) Connect the FX LOOP SEND of your amplifier (or the output of your separate preamp) here to feed signal to any effects designated as “POST”

Also the sketch of the rear panel shows these jacks as balanced suggesting TRS also.

My question is what type of cables are you using into IN POST, given that most amps FX send will be 1/4" TS ?

I know about and understand the use of the Humbuster cables on the outputs. And that isn't what I am asking about.

What is the thinking behind why the POST IN is TRS and balanced and what is the best cable to use from amp FX send to Post in ?

Id be really interested to know why Fractal chose this type of connector for Post in, but am unable to find anything explaining it.

Hi Folks,

My question is what type of cables are you using into IN POST, given that most amps FX send will be 1/4" TS ?

I've been happily using TS cables on the IN POST inputs for over a year on my Mark I. I suspect fractal used balanced inputs to make it easy to run from a mixer or computer interface for reamping

I've been happily using TS cables on the IN POST inputs for over a year on my Mark I. I suspect fractal used balanced inputs to make it easy to run from a mixer or computer interface for reamping

Thanks for the answer. Though I don't see why you would be re amping via an FX8 as it has no modelling. Although perhaps you mean for using the FX8 for outboard effects.

I've only used TS for any of the FX8 inputs. As to the purpose of having balanced jacks on the Post Inputs, the only thing I am able to think of is if using an external effect/processor that has balanced output(s) and wanting to place it before the FX8 effects.

I use trs on all mine with no problems

So are you running a TRS to TRS from the FX Send of the H&K Tubemeister 36 in your signature ?

No doubt it will work without problems as would a TS to TS.

Of course it does not answer why the Post IN was designed with TRS... which is what I would really be interested to know.

So are you running a TRS to TRS from the FX Send of the H&K Tubemeister 36 in your signature ?

No doubt it will work without problems as would a TS to TS.

Of course it does not answer why the Post IN was designed with TRS... which is what I would really be interested to know.

Yes

Also to my Boogie Mark 5. They are TRS most likely because of the long cable runs.

@bread thanks. Understood, but at the amp end you don't have balanced in the majority of cases. Of course you could put a TS to TRS Hum eliminator near the amp to get true balanced for the longer part of the run.

I am hoping someone from Fractal will chime in with what the design philosophy was here.

It shouldn't matter the amp just doesn't have the extra sleeve connector.

I understand all of that and appreciate you taking the time.

But that still leaves the design purpose and thinking unanswered. Its also missing in the manual and should be in there in my opinion.

I used hum eliminator on my G System and it suckers the tone noticeably.

I guess only FAS can answer your question regarding the post in design :)

be careful - if you ask too many questions about a feature like this cliff will come round to all our houses on christmas eve and take away the balanced inputs.

be careful - if you ask too many questions about a feature like this cliff will come round to all our houses on christmas eve and take away the balanced inputs.
i mean, just think about it. why would Mark Day move back to canada with just a jackson if not to secretly train the reindeer?

Well if he does then we at least wont be devoid of an answer about them.

Even if an answer said, its for possible future use. Good enough but no answer at all surprises me...

i mean, just think about it. why would Mark Day move back to canada with just a jackson if not to secretly train the reindeer?

For that I have no answer. Is a Jackson in some way better for training reindeer than a Gibson ?

For most uses an unbalanced TS cable is fine. The inputs are balanced so that you can get even more hum rejection by using a TS-to-TRS cable from the amp's send.

Thanks Cliff, would the cable need to be similar to a Humbuster or wired in some other way ?

Back
Top Bottom