Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

Supro, too. Crazy good.
Swart Atomic Space Tone, bishes. No idea if anything changed related to it on this FW or even a recent one, but I hadn't fired up that little fokker of a model in ages... so blew the virtual dust off it yesterday... there is something special about that amp. That is one of the cool things about having a lot of amp models that are modeled with a high level of nuance/complexity. It really is like checking out a new piece of gear sometimes or more like opening your closet and finding a beloved old fave you had forgotten you had.

Small issue here. I try to upgrade to 5.02, but after updating through fractal bot, it reads my axe fx as still being on 5.01.

Suggestions?

Swart Atomic Space Tone, bishes. No idea if anything changed related to it on this FW or even a recent one, but I hadn't fired up that little fokker of a model in ages... so blew the virtual dust off it yesterday... there is something special about that amp. That is one of the cool things about having a lot of amp models that are modeled with a high level of nuance/complexity. It really is like checking out a new piece of gear sometimes or more like opening your closet and finding a beloved old fave you had forgotten you had.

What are your general settings and IR's?

I have *wanted* to love this amp from the beginning but haven't been able to bond with it. I love the real amp so much, I just haven't found settings / IR's I like.

I've tried the default amps setting, adjusting only input drive and treble to taste, + the factory Nuclear IR's, and no joy.

That's funny as hell as I found the EXACT same thing yesterday. I don't know if it's always been this great or if Q5 did something magical to it.

Finally spent 3 hrs today with my Axe and updated the FW. I like what happened to the middle frequencies. Had to tweak about everything a bit again but it was fun and it was hard to switch to the next preset every time because it's so easy now to find a nice organic enjoyable tone with almost every amp and drive. Pure pleasure.

Edit: I've even added +0.5 on the MV in average on some amps. The just sing now.

Last edited:
I installed Q5 a few days ago...my o my...what happened? I checked the HOOK amp....I am just blown away ...that sounds so full . Throw a ruckus infront...it becomes a beast:)
I used my les paul and I am a real cab user, so cab simulations off.

I do have a major problem now...I just can not stop playing anymore;:)
I feels like Cliff did something magic with Q5....or is it this time for real cab users only..
Or is that Hook thing so unbelievable, it allows me to make all kind of tones so easily even ones i couldn`t find before.

For those about to rock...the Q5 is simply....jihaaaaaa

I installed Q5 a few days ago...my o my...what happened? I checked the HOOK amp....I am just blown away ...that sounds so full . Throw a ruckus infront...it becomes a beast:)
I used my les paul and I am a real cab user, so cab simulations off.

I do have a major problem now...I just can not stop playing anymore;:)
I feels like Cliff did something magic with Q5....or is it this time for real cab users only..
Or is that Hook thing so unbelievable, it allows me to make all kind of tones so easily even ones i couldn`t find before.

For those about to rock...the Q5 is simply....jihaaaaaa

Dude - turn those cabs ON... I'm a real cab user too - and when I first got the axe, I had the cab sims off - then I read " the power of a cab block" thread that Danny Danzi did - Holy shitoli.... it opened up a whole new world for me.. My tone is literally 1000% better... I highly recommend watching the video.. Its really as easy as picking a cab and making a few cuts... try it - you won't be sorry !

Dude - turn those cabs ON... I'm a real cab user too - and when I first got the axe, I had the cab sims off - then I read " the power of a cab block" thread that Danny Danzi did - Holy shitoli.... it opened up a whole new world for me.. My tone is literally 1000% better... I highly recommend watching the video.. Its really as easy as picking a cab and making a few cuts... try it - you won't be sorry !

I recommend against that. I guess if it sounds good that's all that matters but technically you shouldn't be using a cab block along with conventional guitar cabs.

I recommend against that. I guess if it sounds good that's all that matters but technically you shouldn't be using a cab block along with conventional guitar cabs.

Just out of curiosity - is there a technical reason - like it could cause damage to speakers, or is more that the cab sims just weren't designed to be played with a regular cab?
I just have been having a lot of luck using a cab block and making cuts in the bass and treble - to me it sounds much more full and not as thin. Granted, I haven't tried it without a cab block in about 5 or 6 FW updates... I will try and A/B tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

well, in the begining I did use cab sims on with my real cab and at low volumes it was ok but on stage volume it was to " boomy". In headphones it was pure magic,, but that is FRFR.
I fully agree , the cab block is pure magic and very powerfull but than you need to go full FRFR...my experience so far. It is what the people of fractal advice as well....For clean amps its maybe an option but for crunchy or high gains it didn´t work out for me.
Then again always worth while giving it another try., it does not cost any money :) ..one never knows :)...I could not find the video though.

Just out of curiosity - is there a technical reason - like it could cause damage to speakers, or is more that the cab sims just weren't designed to be played with a regular cab?
I just have been having a lot of luck using a cab block and making cuts in the bass and treble - to me it sounds much more full and not as thin. Granted, I haven't tried it without a cab block in about 5 or 6 FW updates... I will try and A/B tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.
keep us posted on that one....;-)... If you do not use cab sims, what you need to do for sure is play with the depth in the amp block and the LFR setting in the amp block...;that was the moment where it started to become ok for me without cab sims on. A PEQ after the amp block to tune it a bit more. I boost a bit the mids and lower the highs....for my cab at least.

What are your general settings and IR's?

I have *wanted* to love this amp from the beginning but haven't been able to bond with it. I love the real amp so much, I just haven't found settings / IR's I like.

I've tried the default amps setting, adjusting only input drive and treble to taste, + the factory Nuclear IR's, and no joy.

I had good luck pairing it with the TAF Fender IR's a bunch of firmwares back. I believe a couple are preloaded in the XL models and available in the firmware zip files for uploading to user slots on mk I/II models.

What you're doing is equivalent to playing a real amp through a real cab, then milking that real cab and running the mic feed into another cab. It won't break anything, but tends to put a blanket over the sound and really narrow the spectrum.

When you try it without the Cab block, be sure to re-dial your sound for that cabless setup. If you're trying to get rid of excess highs, try making your cuts in another block.

Back
Top Bottom