With the news of overseas assembly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
so it's just a 100 bucks saving for the consumer... but of course FAS will benefit from increased profit margins. i'm glad i got mine Made in the USA... its not that the chinese units will be bad... but it's just like I wouldnt imagine Marshall being manufactured out of the UK... i always considered FAS to be a boutique product. let's wait and see.

Who's glad to own a Made in USA version? Or does it matter at all to you?

Not worried about it homeslice. We've trusted FAS, Cliff, M@-man & crew for years. If they say the quality matches what was Made In The USA, what difference does it make.

Spread the love Fractal!

462ff5ccce32a18f4f4127c10df34b6d55b2b5e7_hq.gif

See my post above. If it is made in China it is required to have a label saying so.

I have parts in air conditioners that say Made In PRC. Did not know where PRC was till I google and found it was Peoples Republic of China. It was said that the Made In China products have gotten a bad reputation so on some products they change it to PRC

And does that apply if its "assembled" in China instead of "made" or our we just inserting a better sounding word

If the difference in selling price is only $100.00 you wouldn't move production overseas. The profit margin is the governing factor and that is just a point in doing business. If the support and longevity of the product continue without dropping my re-sale value out the bottom then they are doing nothing different than anyone else. Orange had/has their terror series and others made in China with great components. Don't skimp on the parts and everything will be fine. The import/export stuff may change here in the next few months anyway......strap in and let's see.

I have parts in air conditioners that say Made In PRC. Did not know where PRC was till I google and found it was Peoples Republic of China. It was said that the Made In China products have gotten a bad reputation so on some products they change it to PRC

And does that apply if its "assembled" in China instead of "made" or our we just inserting a better sounding word
There should be a label stating either made or assembled in China depending on which one. At least to my knowledge in dealing with Asian production.

By the way, since they just lowered the cost of buying a AX8, those of us that have already bought one just took a big hit on its resale value. Look what the resale value of the original FX8 has done since they lowered its price, average of a $400.00 to $500.00 loss on a product at just about 1 year old. I know since I am trying to sell one now.

That must be the difference than, purchasing a product to resell versus knowing up front that you will keep your gear regardless of where it was manufactured. It's a goofy argument if you think about it concerning yourself with resale value versus quality product usage.

I understand your perspective as a previous electrician and seeing the shift of quality loss the in-field products. With that, FAS gear is relatively a commodity item so it isn't as important as an A/C in a home/business. The quality of the product is backed by FAS 100% so 1 year is ample time to discover any quality related issues. I think this shift is a strategic move for FAS to accelerate business growth adequately.

Makes me very sad to see companies having to go out of the USA to manufacture products so they can stay competitive. Nothing like putting more of our citizens on the unemployment line and eventually them having to depend more and more on the government for support. I have a air conditioning business and all the manufactures of the equipment are leaving the USA due to union issues, labor costs mainly. The build quality of today's air conditioners has gone way down with service, warranty, calls becoming the norm, where warranty issues used to be non-existent. We can't all be white collar workers so what are we going to do with the rest? I may be in the minority here, but I don't made saving up a little more money to get a fully Made In USA product.

By the way, since they just lowered the cost of buying a AX8, those of us that have already bought one just took a big hit on its resale value. Look what the resale value of the original FX8 has done since they lowered its price, average of a $400.00 to $500.00 loss on a product at just about 1 year old. I know since I am trying to sell one now.

stepping off soapbox, sorry

I don't think the resale price will take a big hit. Also, the FX8 is likely taking more of a hit on resale because the AX8 offers amp modeling for only $50 more.

I just took a look at the last few FX8 sales on Ebay:

$1200
$1150
$1125
$1116 x 2
$1100
$1000 x 2
$975
$972 ( still only $377 off full price)

For the OP's question. Like most people I would prefer to buy American made, because of the bad reputation that China\Taiwan has for building electronics. I just got rid of my first CD player, it was built in Japan in 1987... still works!

The first one I got a few months ago had to be sent back in because of a defective footswitch. The 2nd works like a charm. So, which one is which ?

The price point is not the only factor here, production was mentioned as well! From a business standpoint decisions have to be made in order to remain competitive and to make sure you can make your monthly nut. At the moment it's very hard to compete with Chinese labor especially when combined with the way tariffs are with China, coupled with our current healthcare system. As was mentioned earlier that "could" change in the near future, we shall see.

I feel sad for those that might be out of a job because of this decision, I can't do anything about it as it's literally not my business. Does it change the way I feel about FAS? not in the slightest, it still is in my opinion the best amp modeler on the planet!

As to how it affects resale I don't really care! I didn't buy the AX8 to resell it and I'm not under any delusions that I'm going to get 95% of what I paid for it if I should go to sell it at some point in the future either.

Cliff has done an outstanding job in creating something that has become the best in it's marketplace! It continues to stay there even when other companies that have been doing it for years before him have tried to take that top spot and haven't really succeeded. Personally I think Cliff and company deserve a standing ovation for what they have accomplished in one of the crappiest economies for the US in a while.

Last edited:
Resale value is important even if you believe you will never sale it, most of us will when they release the latest greatest model. It adds to the value of the original price. Used to be buying a Fractal product was not a big risk since the resale value was high so if you moved up or found some other reason to sale the loss was little.

Looking at Ebay sales of the FX8, if have to take at least 13% off that price, the ones that sell for over $1000.00 are the ones willing to ship anywhere opening the seller up for more risk. Mine is on this forum for $950.00 right now and still not selling and I will lose 3% for paypal plus whatever shipping cost. I paid the original price plus shipping so do the math.

There is a reason Rolex is not made in China. I do consider Fractal the Rolex of the modeling world.

The price point is not the only factor here, production was mentioned as well! From a business standpoint decisions have to be made in order to remain competitive and to make sure you can make your monthly nut. At the moment it's very hard to compete with Chinese labor especially when combined with the way tariffs are with China, coupled with our current healthcare system. As was mentioned earlier that "could" change in the near future, we shall see.

I feel sad for those that might be out of a job because of this decision, I can't do anything about it as it's literally not my business. Does it change the way I feel about FAS? not in the slightest, it still is in my opinion the best amp modeler on the planet!

As to how it affects resale I don't really care! I didn't buy the AX8 to resell it and I'm not under any delusions that I'm going to get 95% of what I paid for it if I should go to sell it at some point in the future either.

Cliff has done an outstanding job in creating something that has become the best in it's marketplace! It continues to stay there even when other companies that have been doing it for years before him have tried to take that top spot and haven't really succeeded. Personally I think Cliff and company deserve a standing ovation for what they has accomplished in one of the crappiest economies for the US in a while.

I am not in manufacturing, but I keep seeing how the costs of Chinese labor are almost equal to the cost to build it in the US... Check out this article on the iphone, it would only add $30-40 to make it in the US because Apple would need to import most of the parts... not so much for the labor.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/iphone-made-in-usa-cost/

If the difference in selling price is only $100.00 you wouldn't move production overseas.

Which is why I think this is also about freeing up domestic capacity. They may be making room for new product(s) to be assembled in the US along with (or replacing) the Axe-FX II. I bet they haven't let anyone go despite the manufacturing shift.

I think it's a great move. Lowering the price and increasing availability will get the AX8 in the hands (or under the feet, as it were :) ) of more musicians.

I am not in manufacturing, but I keep seeing how the costs of Chinese labor are almost equal to the cost to build it in the US... Check out this article on the iphone, it would only add $30-40 to make it in the US because Apple would need to import most of the parts... not so much for the labor.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/iphone-made-in-usa-cost/

Interesting article! and it would seem that labor rates are close based on that but one has to wonder if it would be the same to assemble FAS products? an iPhone is far more complex and much smaller to put together, I know I have worked on them and it's not a fun job.

The other factor to add in to the mix is payroll taxes plus all the other little goodies that an employer has to contribute when employing someone full time not to mention health care.

China's idea of health care is a net to catch employees from jumping out the window at the factory they live and work in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom