Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

I noticed a strange behaviour with "force default version" set to on, it resets to default preamp tube type when recalling a preset even if it was saved with modeling version set to latest and a non-default tube type

That would be bad, but solvable.

Could, for instance, happen, when there is no process within the code, to check, if the actual modeling
version of a just loaded preset is set to Latest or not (if Force Default Version is set to On).
Or the routine doesn't work properly.

I trust in FAS ;-)
They will fix it sooon ;-)
An outstanding service they have.

The patches I tried to move the preamp bias use Capt Hook 3A, Friedman HBE V1, and Fryette D60. If you set it just right the overtones of the note continue on beautifully and die off slowly and the notes don't get choked off prematurely. I have it set between .260-.280 in those amps.

Edit: here is a patch that I changed, not sure if it included the cab I don't know how to save a preset with cab.

Thank you! :) I'll take it for a spin later this evening when I'm at my DAW/desk. Just to confirm: 0.260 - 0.280 are on the positive side of 0, not negative, yes?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this info and preset!

Thank you! :) I'll take it for a spin later this evening when I'm at my DAW/desk. Just to confirm: 0.260 - 0.280 are on the positive side of 0, not negative, yes?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this info and preset!

Yeah positive side.

Just installed 5.02. As a 6160 LD user nowadays, I experienced a tighter low end, and a more smiling face during playing.

Might be placebo effect, or not. I don't care.

I just wanna thank @FractalAudio because we are not excluded from this firmware update.

I experienced such a pleasing change in tone and/or feel. I think that the 'going grrrrrrrrrr instead of going shhhhzzzzzz' thing is absolutely true! :)

Are you guys really noticing a difference in this version vs 5.0? I didn't see anything in the FW release notes that mentioned tones being changed. I'm noticing nothing different tonality wise in this update compared to 5.0. I can say I'm absolutely loving every aspect of it though...and the new drive pedal changes are really great.

Before the pedals were updated, I feel some of them (by choice due to the pedal) literally gave us LESS of a tube sound in certain situations. That normally doesn't happen with a tube amp and a drive pedal. UNLESS....you're using like a Metal Zone type pedal or something like it. Those types of pedals introduce a sonic distortion, which I feel Cliff nailed to the "T". That sizzley, sonic, trebly, synthetic drive you get from those types of metal pedals.....it's actually quite amazing how accurate we are now. I don't even know if that pedal was updated as I don't use that type lol...but it's as fake sounding as the real one! LOL!

The tube pedals and TS pedals are insane now. There are really only two pedals I can't warm up to out of the bunch that just aren't for me. All the others are completely useful and can be used so many ways in lots of different rigs. Just when you think there isn't much to improve with this stuff, we get an update like this. Awesome work Cliff and once again, thank you sincerely for keeping the FW option/ability to keep tone without tweaking immensely. I know not many care about that option, but it sure makes my experience 100000 x better!

Are you guys really noticing a difference in this version vs 5.0?

Post #214 from Cliff:

"Okay, 5.01 is just stupid good sounding. I can't believe how much difference that little fix made. Depends on the model to some degree but the Rectos chug and the Marshalls purr and kerannggg.

I never really liked the Brit JVM models but in 5.01 they're addictive. Pick squeaks and pinch harmonics just jump off the fretboard.
"

Is it normal for fractalbot to display that 5.01 is loaded even though my axe says 5.02? Thanks
For this release yes. Don't think Cliff is going to pull it again to fix this. All that matters is what it says in the hardware.

G'day Danny,

Really? That surprises me because I noticed it immediately - and you're 'all about tone'! :) .... 5.0 (To my humble ears) sounder 'smoother' than 5.02, using the Captain Hook amp introduced in 5.0 with a drive. 5.0 was just so enjoyable I got lost in it. I'm looking forward to trying AtomicBlaze's suggestion tonight.

Thanks
Pauly

Are you guys really noticing a difference in this version vs 5.0? I didn't see anything in the FW release notes that mentioned tones being changed. I'm noticing nothing different tonality wise in this update compared to 5.0. I can say I'm absolutely loving every aspect of it though...and the new drive pedal changes are really great.

Before the pedals were updated, I feel some of them (by choice due to the pedal) literally gave us LESS of a tube sound in certain situations. That normally doesn't happen with a tube amp and a drive pedal. UNLESS....you're using like a Metal Zone type pedal or something like it. Those types of pedals introduce a sonic distortion, which I feel Cliff nailed to the "T". That sizzley, sonic, trebly, synthetic drive you get from those types of metal pedals.....it's actually quite amazing how accurate we are now. I don't even know if that pedal was updated as I don't use that type lol...but it's as fake sounding as the real one! LOL!

The tube pedals and TS pedals are insane now. There are really only two pedals I can't warm up to out of the bunch that just aren't for me. All the others are completely useful and can be used so many ways in lots of different rigs. Just when you think there isn't much to improve with this stuff, we get an update like this. Awesome work Cliff and once again, thank you sincerely for keeping the FW option/ability to keep tone without tweaking immensely. I know not many care about that option, but it sure makes my experience 100000 x better!

G'day Danny,

Really? That surprises me because I noticed it immediately - and you're 'all about tone'! :) .... 5.0 (To my humble ears) sounder 'smoother' than 5.02, using the Captain Hook amp introduced in 5.0 with a drive. 5.0 was just so enjoyable I got lost in it. I'm looking forward to trying AtomicBlaze's suggestion tonight.

Thanks
Pauly

Well I have a work file that I've kept since 2.0 fw. I've recorded every fw from 2.0 to present deleting those that didn't sound good to my ears for my particular applications.

5.02 audibly to me, has no difference for my particular tones and the proof for me personally is in my DAW. :) I still think all the other goodies we got sound terrific though. Part of the no change for me is I prefer the 2.0 fw option on most of my sounds. It's just tighter for what I need. The later fw sounds a little too open and loose to me. When I have more time to mess with it, for sure I will put some time in as it sounds promising. ;)

G'day Danny,

Thanks
Pauly

I hate to break it to you but there is absolutely no difference between 5.00 and 5.02 for the Hook models. The only models affected are models with nonzero Preamp Comp and/or Harmonics values.

Hi Danny

I dont use any dirt / drive pedals so cant comment there ..... in terms of tone I dont really hear any change either ... but in terms of crunch / dirty low-mids / lower-end tighter / punchier " chugga-chugga " and " palm muting " [ these are techncial musical terms I learnt at the Conservatorium :) ] it is subtley but noticabley " more real " [ :) sorry I couldnt resist ] ... its like the sag / spongeyness has gotten firmer and more defined .... I wrote elsewhere it isnt night and day .... but it was very immedialty apparewnt on my presets .... and equally apparent when going between 5.00 <-> 5.02 [ I skipped 5.01 altogethger ].

I think with the Axe - and this applies equally to Kemper and Helix and even the A/Fire - the current generatons of all these units are fantastic and as changes arrive, they are increasingly more subtle as the vast bulk of the heavy lifting in terms of digitizing amp tones is now wel established - they will all continue to "get better " but we are very much approaching the top of the horizon on the exponential cureve ......

The result is now %95 playing and %5 tweaking .... whereas even only 1 - 2 years ago .... it was probably closer to %50 playing and %50 tweaking.

Having said all that .... I reckon I could gig my presets on FW 2 or FW 3 or FW 4 or FW 5 .... and once I was 2 songs into the first set, I wouldnt have a clue which was which ... but I'd still have a smile on my face :)

Always enjoy your videos and post too Danny ..... great stuff !!!

Ben

...Before the pedals were updated, I feel some of them (by choice due to the pedal) literally gave us LESS of a tube sound in certain situations. That normally doesn't happen with a tube amp and a drive pedal. UNLESS....you're using like a Metal Zone type pedal or something like it. Those types of pedals introduce a sonic distortion, which I feel Cliff nailed to the "T". That sizzley, sonic, trebly, synthetic drive you get from those types of metal pedals.....it's actually quite amazing how accurate we are now. I don't even know if that pedal was updated as I don't use that type lol...but it's as fake sounding as the real one! LOL!

Good read and spot on!

If you haven't yet done so you should take the PI Fuzz for a quick spin.

Back
Top Bottom