X-Mann

Experienced
Hey, hey my Fractal brothers.....

I thought I'd share my basic reaction & just plain shock as to how good the new FX8 is.....

My Fractal journey started not that long ago w/ the AX8......Here's a link to where I had my eyes opened by Fractal Audio & its killer community.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-ax8-mann-cometh-pics-video-audio-review.114059/

I'm still in love with the AX8 & have been in the ultimate tone quest in 2016. ALL Roads lead back to Fractal!!!! FWIW

I've always been an amp modeling guy because I like fast switching, where I can go from a crystal clean tone w/ chorus & reverb to a distorted tone w/ delay in one button press. Plus I've never owned a stellar 2-channel tube amp that BOTH channels Rocked my world.

Enter the new Friedman Runt 50 & the FX8......
FE29FA42-71D7-48F7-BEBF-3456B6C2887B_zpswcdxpklq.jpg

I now know what it's like to have the best of both worlds.....tone....& FX wise!!!

Guitar rigs can be built for different playing environments & needs......This is a PRO level rig that shakes the ground & could be taken on a World Tour!
50AC1141-AE0F-4CB2-8466-6EAE233B13F5_zpsb5bgheed.jpg

I LOVE that the FX8 can change Amp channels & love the layout.....The drive pedals in the FX8 feel more real & respond just like the real ones do in this set-up.

The stock presets have amazing/lush chorus, phaser & flanger Fx already set-up......& I'm using tap tempo for the 1st time ever too!

I feel blessed to have 2-killer rigs & this has also helped me dial in the AX8 even better then before amp wise....

5213EAFE-9EF0-41FC-A65B-FB6FDBCBFF1F_zpsnj8hwjgf.jpg

I now see the purpose for each unit (AX8 & FX8) & see Cliffs brilliance on a new level!!!

I was away on vacation right after I got this.....but made a few quick 1st impression video clips.....

Here's the TC 2290 delay & the drive channel of the Friedman Runt in 4-cable mode...(no drive pedal)

I'm getting great mid-gain tones on the clean channel & w/ the RC boost pedal......& the TS808 into the Friedman's drive channel is just insane!!!!

Long live Fractal Audio.....& all of these wonderful products!!!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - All I can say is that you get everything that you pay for & more when you purchase a Fractal product. I'm just happy to have found all of these great companies to created music with.....Kiesel Guitars, Friedman amps (& the ASM-12).......& Fractal Audio (AX8, FX8 & Axe Fx ii)......

More to follow...........

Last edited:
Nice setup. Just wait until the q5 drive improvements make it to the FX8.
Um......Wow......Could it get any better? :eek:

That will be just awesome & I can't wait.....

I also have a direct out w/ speaker cab simulation out of the Friedman Runt amp.....& I'll run it into the PA this Friday night at my gig.....but for now I've been testing it out w/ my Friedman ASM-12.....& it's truly a wall of tone....& friggin HUGE MAN!!!!
C3D880E5-94D2-428C-B690-4576FF2B579F_zpsz1naabgs.jpg

Last edited:
Killer review!

I have a friend that here that's about to buy one and i will help him set it up like you are using it, but his amp of choice is the new Mesa JP 2C.

Killer review!

I have a friend that here that's about to buy one and i will help him set it up like you are using it, but his amp of choice is the new Mesa JP 2C.
Hey Nick, your friend is going to have a total BLAST running through the factory presets in the FX8!!!!

Here'a the "Larry C" preset I stopped on & made a quick little sound sample of......Fun, fun & just loads O FUN!!!

I had a great day on Saturday & started setting up my main gig presets too.....

X

Congrats fellow Carvinite! I own a CT4, DC135, and Bolt. All great guitars! And, of course, I'm just as impressed with my FX8 as you are. I'll probably get an AX8 too. I just can't resist the temptation of having all those amp tones on hand, and it might help me decide on the next real tube amp to buy. Thanks for sharing the clips!

Congrats fellow Carvinite! I own a CT4, DC135, and Bolt. All great guitars! And, of course, I'm just as impressed with my FX8 as you are. I'll probably get an AX8 too. I just can't resist the temptation of having all those amp tones on hand, and it might help me decide on the next real tube amp to buy. Thanks for sharing the clips!
Hey Mark......Yea, I might be the 1st guy to buy an amp modeler (AX8), discover I LOVE Friedman amps & buy the real thing! Lol

It sounds like your Carvin/Kiesel collection is as cool as mine is too!

What amp are you running your FX8 with?

Peace! X

Bogner Alchemist 1x12 combo. It's a great amp (despite the "China bashing" it gets, don't get me started), and I doubt I'll ever sell it, but I need more versatility. I just love so many amp tones, hence my longing for an AX8. I would like to settle on a few inspiring tube amps to use with the FX8, and using the AX8 to help zero in on what those should be. Then again, maybe I would just settle on the AX8 ;)

Bogner Alchemist 1x12 combo. It's a great amp (despite the "China bashing" it gets, don't get me started), and I doubt I'll ever sell it, but I need more versatility. I just love so many amp tones, hence my longing for an AX8. I would like to settle on a few inspiring tube amps to use with the FX8, and using the AX8 to help zero in on what those should be. Then again, maybe I would just settle on the AX8 ;)
I wish you luck on your tone journey Mark & the AX8 is an amazing tool for any guitarist!

Peace! X

Have you any AX8 presets that sound closer to the Friedman that you'd want to share? Sounds awesome in your videos!

Have you any AX8 presets that sound closer to the Friedman that you'd want to share? Sounds awesome in your videos!
I'll work on one & post it up this weekend buddy!

I have some very good (good for me) AX8 presets for my cover band gig that are based on my Friedman ASM-12 & a PA. I'm willing to share anything, I just think that presets are always based on my guitars, pickups & FRFR set-up.......So results may vary......:rolleyes:

PM me your e-mail address & I'll send you a few of my favorites......

Peace! Tim

I do have a quick question for FX8 users though:

How are you guys boosting your tube amp drive channels for lead work? My amp doesn't have a boost switch that can be accessed via the tip/ring relay.

Can I just do what I do in the AX8 where I place a EQ block after the FX loop (or post in 4-cable mode) & just raise the level?

I'd be curious to know what you guys do since this is my 1st tube amp & Fractal outing.........

Thanks in advance....

X

I've used my FX8 (Original) with 5 different amps, one of which doesn't have an effects loop, and have been extremely pleased with the results of every one of them. There's very little I can't cover with the amps I have and the FX8. Took me a while to figure out the drives but finally got the results I need. I now use the FX8 for everything.

Last edited:
New firmware for the FX-8 shortly with the improved Drive block.
Um.................Wait.....Ah........What?

Can it even get any better? :eek:

What magic did you guys do to improve on all of this? (Please dumb down your explanation to us muggles) :D

X

Ok.....I'm even more impressed with the FX8 then I was before starting this thread! :rolleyes:

I had my 1st band run-thru w/ this rig & boy did it sound amazing & work VERY well. I'm really taken with the RC Booster into the clean channel of my Friedman & the phaser/flangers are just stunning with distortion. I also used the tap Temp feature for my delays & just loved it too!

Getting no extra noise in 4-cable mode & add-in the relay amp channel switching.....& I'm just hooked on the new FX8!

I put a filter block after my FX loop to boost 3db for solo's, just like I do in the AX8 & everything worked like a charm!

X

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom