Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Firmware Released

I've improved it since. I found a minor error in bias cancellation that affected how the cathode follower was behaving. Sounds better with that fixed.

Wait, did you mean that 5.0 was the improvement because you caught a bias cancellation error? Or are you responding to the complement that this is awesome firmware, by stating, that you found an error, and now that you've corrected it, it will sound EVEN BETTER, hence a notice that 5.1 is in the works?

Please clarify. My F5 key will thank you.

Thanks

I really like the bounce and warmth that Q5 brings. Amps that I previously overlooked for being "lifeless" like the CA3+ Clean are now a lot of fun and amps I used to love are now even better.

I tried going back and forth between past modelling versions and Q5 just slays all of them. Good job, Cliff!

Wait, did you mean that 5.0 was the improvement because you caught a bias cancellation error? Or are you responding to the complement that this is awesome firmware, by stating, that you found an error, and now that you've corrected it, it will sound EVEN BETTER, hence a notice that 5.1 is in the works?

Please clarify. My F5 key will thank you.

Thanks
Hmm, good question.

Neosound posting this on page 10 of forum:

"I had the chance to play a couple hours last night. This FW is pretty special imo, some of the best tones ever :)..."

We are on page 11 of the forum. Unless Cliff is able to manipulate Time, it stands to reason we have not heard the improvements he is talking about..

...yet :tonguewink:

My impression is that the Rectos in Q5 do not sound as alive and connected to the player as they do in Q4. I really hope it's due to the mentioned cathode follower bias cancellation error.
For the short time testing Q4.01b, I couldn't believe the way my box roared with Recto2 Mdrn.
Even since the Ultra I had, the Rectos in the AxeFX suffered many changes, it seems they are a beast hard to figure them out.

L.E.: Rectos are OK in Q5 if Q4.xx is selected in the modeling version.

Last edited:
My impression is that the Rectos in Q5 do not sound as alive and connected to the player as they do in Q4. I really hope it's due to the mentioned cathode follower bias cancellation error.
For the short time testing Q4.01b, I couldn't believe the way my box roared with Recto2 Mdrn.
Even since the Ultra I had, the Rectos in the AxeFX suffered many changes, it seems they are a beast hard to figure them out.

L.E.: Rectos are OK in Q5 if Q4.xx is selected in the modeling version.

Recto 2 sounded better to me in this version once I upped the gain a bit, but that's just me. Used to have it at 6.5, now 7.5 sounds better to me. Not quite the same but I wouldn't say worse than 4.01 either

Ignore my tips. Just set the Tonestack Type to "Hook Clean 2".

;-)
Thank You Cliff
I've also seen your posting above, so I supposed that.

Hadn't much time to test, but the Hook, especially the clean and the rhythm channels,
is a killer amp ;-)
I prefer clean and crunched sounds very often and the Hook does it in a perfect way for me.
It has been a great idea, to implement it.

Kind regards and thanks for the great support!
Mike

Thanks, I was going for a hollow body type sound. I always found it very hard to get a nice real clean sound from a tube amp since there always seems to be some break up from the tubes that are working. But with the Hook and the 'pull' gain knob on the clean channel to bypass the EQ, the tone gets really nice clean, but still big sounding. The amp also has a lot of headroom. I added a TC Hypergravity compressor in front of the amp to compress it a bit. It worked well with the piano and Steve Vai who was in the audience mentioned the tune it brought tears to his eyes, so job well done hopefully ;-)

Hi Richard;

What you describe is exactly what I felt.
And I'm very impressed, how it sounds with your Suhr (it's a Suhr, am I right?).
As I already said; A tone like "September Man" from Philip :)
He even often played hollow body's.

And you've got to the heart of it, man!

That's the information I've also expected >> TC Compressor (not exactly TC, but...).
The typical pick attack in that tone.
As I heard the song for the first time, I thought by myself "It can't be only the guitar and the amp ...".

It's (the compressor) a "must have" for that sweet jazzy notes, who are telling sentimentally little storys ...
I even agree with Steve;
Tears are part of this storys ... ;-)

I had a similar tone with a Komet 60 preset and a very light detuning by a pitch transposer.
The amp block in the AxeFx additionally provides a Pick Attack parameter.
So I don't need a separate compressor.
Paired with a '56 Les Paul Gold Top with P90's ...
Sweet sounding ...

But I think, it's time to test the Hook ;-)

CU next time!
I have to hear the video once again ;-)

Mike

Okay, 5.01 is just stupid good sounding. I can't believe how much difference that little fix made. Depends on the model to some degree but the Rectos chug and the Marshalls purr and kerannggg. A/B'ing with Q4.xx and it's subtle but obvious. 4.xx goes shhhhzzzzzz while 5.01 goes grrrrrrrrrrr.

I never really liked the Brit JVM models but in 5.01 they're addictive. Pick squeaks and pinch harmonics just jump off the fretboard.

Okay, 5.01 is just stupid good sounding. I can't believe how much difference that little fix made. Depends on the model to some degree but the Rectos chug and the Marshalls purr and kerannggg. A/B'ing with Q4.xx and it's subtle but obvious. 4.xx goes shhhhzzzzzz while 5.01 goes grrrrrrrrrrr.

I never really liked the Brit JVM models but in 5.01 they're addictive. Pick squeaks and pinch harmonics just jump off the fretboard.

Who doesn't love moar better kerannggg‽ :)

Ignore my tips. Just set the Tonestack Type to "Hook Clean 2".

Hi Cliff;

Here I am again; a bit off topic from your hint.
I just started the AxeFx and called up the Layout menu.
Then I was wondering, what I had to see ;-)
The block array shows a lot of empty block icons at all places,
which are not filled with a concrete block like amp, cab or something else.

I don't remember exactly (Thank you Axe-Edit ;-), but I'm rather sure,
that in earlier firmware versions, all shunts have been pictured only by a simple line.
Isn't that right?
Or am I wrong?

Best regards
Mike

Oh, I forgot ...
AxeFx II MKII
Firmware 5.00 Release

Hi Cliff;

that in earlier firmware versions, all shunts have been pictured only by a simple line.
Isn't that right?
Or am I wrong?

Best regards
Mike

Oh, I forgot ...
AxeFx II MKII
Firmware 5.00 Release

See the manual for a description of the grid.

Hi Cliff;

Isn't that right?
Or am I wrong?

Best regards
Mike

Oh, I forgot ...
AxeFx II MKII
Firmware 5.00 Release

Blank patches always default to an empty grid with nothing connected. move the cursor key to the first block of the row you want to insert into twist the Value dial once to get a shunt block, then hold down enter and it will connect the row all the way tot he end. After that, use the cursor keys to navigate to a newly connected shunt where you want your amp block to be, twist Value dial once should give you "AMP 1", enter to replace the shunt w/ amp block, cursor over to the next column, twist Value dial to get "CAB 1", enter to drop it, lather rinse repeat till you've built up the patch the way you want.

See the manual for a description of the grid.

Sorry and thanks for all of your answers!
My fault!
The problem is not, using the grid.

I mixed the displayed grid and the depiction of the shunts with the AxeFx editor ;-)
It's correct, that the shunts on the display have ever been bold squares.
In the editor they are light greyed squares.
Haven't used the display for a longer time ;-)
That's the result ...

CU
Mike

I don't know how you can make it better! I'm so in love with it the way it is now.

Awesome Cliff! Can't wait to download it!!!

Back
Top Bottom