Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Please excuse my ignorance...

4.01 is loaded over here - Can someone please direct me to where I can locate the new AMPS?

Thank you for your time.

wow! there're certainly a lot of lively discussion in this fw thread and in the spin-off threads as well.
i can only speak for myself here on the touchy topic of possibly this being the last update for the mki/ii.

i got my mk ii unit sometime in mid 2012 and fell head over heels with it as it was the best thing i've ever had my hands on, signal processing wise.
tones sounded great out of the firmware then (which was 6 if my memory served me correct).
the pleasant surprise was the fw updates+new amps kept coming!
my thoughts then was: this company is great!
the news of the xl broke a year and a half later and i saw the writing on the wall: it was just a matter of time before the mk ii goes into the "ultra" fate.
but no! the new amps and stuff kept coming!
and then about a year later in early 2015, the xl+ was announced.
surely this must be it, i thought.
and what happened? we made it to 2016, with quantum fw thrown in for good measure.
does my unit sound awesome now? yes.
did it sound awesome before fw 7 was issued in 2012? yes.
i'm contented to use it as it is now until it gives up its ghost.
then i'll look around for what fractal has to offer then, which, based on my last 4 years of experience, will be awesome.
but until then, i'll be enjoying my mk ii and not keep chasing for the next update... well, mainly cause the f5 on my keyboard is damaged.

Very well sir!!
couldn't have said it better myself :)

Exactly the same experience and time frame as mine

Reactions: Ole
If you haven't got 2x12 ML Zilla Cab Pack you can try the factory ir F118 (Legend or so is it called) which I found very good. But mainly I use with the Hook from ML Zilla 2 ir's in a stero cab :

L = ML Zilla Misha 02 Warm
R = ML Zilla Misha 07 All Cream

Sounds great.

Here is my patch: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4813

just saw that I did last week a clip of the Capt. Hook Lead for the patch above or post #874. This is my tweak on the Hook amp. 3 scenes where I usaed some of the tweaking technic from PrestADay with a GEQ Block befote the amp and one after the cab. Normaly I hardly ever play clean sounds, but this one was so sweet I've added the clip on the end at 2:57.

I just tried to make the Big Muff model to sound like the vintage thing. Got close, but something was missing. Tried this beta and sounds like something changed. I think it's better now!

There are excellent drive tones available already, with or without upcoming improvements.

BTW, AFAIK it's never been stated that the controls of the Drive models exactly match those on the real ones (unlike the amp models).

EDIT: except for Tone, if the original pedal has a Tone knob.​

All the Tubescreamer-based models (T808, ACB, FAS Boost etc.) sound great already, like the real thing. My personal favorite: Full OD, dark but very fat.

With the Face Fuzz, Hard Fuzz and Bender all kinds of fuzz tones are achievable. Of course it depends whether you're using a clean amp or dirty amp. I love the combination of a clean amp with a Face Fuzz (Drive 10, Level around 4). I agree that the Pi model doesn't really match a Big Muff (AFAIK it was never G3'd), but it's cool in its own way with some tweaking. [EDIT: Pi has been re-macthed in 5.02]

RCB: very comparable to the real thing, no doubt.

FET Boost: wonderful FET-based clean-ish boost. Some use this to simulate a Klon.

Treble Boost (and Mid Boost): performs like it should, for sure.

Octave Dist: comparable to the real thing, such as a Fulltone. Do as in the old days: combine it with a separate fuzz (block).

SDD: my standard "add chime" block. Subtle but delightful.

Tape Dist: just an EQ in fact, but does add a dry analog vibe to some sounds.

Tube Drive (3 knobs): very comparable.

Last edited:
I agree w/ yek … !

I LOVE a lot of the drive tones that are already available ….

But the problem as I see it is that even though a lot of the drive pedals have similar construction characteristics …. How they’re controlled is almost never the same ….

Some have full on Tone circuits, some have Hi-Cuts or Shelving controls. Some give extra control just in the presence frequencies, etc; etc;

But in the Axe-Fx …, ALL the drives have the same set of controls ….

I’ve always felt that if you knew where to tweak, you could probably get the various drives to sound exactly like their namesakes.

But, therein lies the problem …. Understanding exactly how the original pedal was constructed, and being able to relate to what knobs to twist in the model to achieve similar results ….

It’s probably a bridge too far to ask Cliff & Co., to match the controls to the Drives their trying to emulate ? But, one can still dream right ????

I agree w/ yek … !

I LOVE a lot of the drive tones that are already available ….

But the problem as I see it is that even though a lot of the drive pedals have similar construction characteristics …. How they’re controlled is almost never the same ….

Some have full on Tone circuits, some have Hi-Cuts or Shelving controls. Some give extra control just in the presence frequencies, etc; etc;

But in the Axe-Fx …, ALL the drives have the same set of controls ….

I’ve always felt that if you knew where to tweak, you could probably get the various drives to sound exactly like their namesakes.

But, therein lies the problem …. Understanding exactly how the original pedal was constructed, and being able to relate to what knobs to twist in the model to achieve similar results ….

It’s probably a bridge too far to ask Cliff & Co., to match the controls to the Drives their trying to emulate ? But, one can still dream right ????

No, the Tone control works the same as the modeled pedal. The Bass, Mid and Treble controls are a generic EQ that can be used in addition to the Tone control to further shape the sound.

No, the Tone control works the same as the modeled pedal. The Bass, Mid and Treble controls are a generic EQ that can be used in addition to the Tone control to further shape the sound.

O.K. then ..., I guess we're even closer than I thought ....

There are excellent drive tones available already, with or without upcoming improvements.

BTW, AFAIK it's never been stated that the controls of the Drive models exactly match those on the real ones (unlike the amp models).

EDIT: except for Tone, if the original pedal has a Tone knob.​
FWIW, when many of the Drives were "G3"d I took this to mean that yes, they should be nearly dead bang to whatever specific unit Cliff had in house; as a big part of the G3 process was billed as being the mapping of specific, measured circuit component values into the virtual circuit representation. And like amps, physical specimens and schematics were being requested or billed as required during the great HM-2 petitioning era (will not mention the K word).

Maybe I was reading a lot into it and am completely off base, but I had believed that was the intent of the G3 process and when I measured my Rat against the AF2 Rat after those G3 era FWs I remember it was almost indistinguishable and fell well within what I'd guess was normal variation.

Well you and your buddy xprophet can't make your tones sound similar from one update to another

Which has nothing to do with making new presets. Further, who said anything about not being able to modify presets after an update to make them sound like they did before updating? It's just a pain in the ass when you've got 40 or 50 (or more) to modify.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom