Twin issue?

mba

Power User
In this video you can check that it is distorted at half which is not correct, it should have been clean.

An idea?

Last edited:
Did you check my signature?
I have a dual showman 74 and no, it does not distort at 5.
The dual showman uses the AB763 circuit, my amp is stock all original components and transformers.

I too am getting distortion with my double verb preset. I have tried to lower and raise the input gain, master volume and when I turn things down I have to raise the output up to get to the volume I need and I overload the meters. I want a loud robust clean tone. I've struggled with my clean tone since the beginning of owning the Axe-Fx II. I hope I can conquer this dilema.

I too am getting distortion with my double verb preset. I have tried to lower and raise the input gain, master volume and when I turn things down I have to raise the output up to get to the volume I need and I overload the meters. I want a loud robust clean tone. I've struggled with my clean tone since the beginning of owning the Axe-Fx II. I hope I can conquer this dilema.

There are many amp models which stay clean for the most part of the Input Drive control. Such as Shiver Clean, USA Clean etc.

Furthermore, be aware of the specific model characteristics. Such as the various Double Verb models. One is more clean than the other.

Also don't forget that the model of any real amp with low and high inputs, is always based on the high input. To get the equivalent of the low input, for example when you would use a Les Paul with a real Twin, turn down Input Trim to 0.500. This has all been documented.

but did you try lowering the input trim?

The model is extremely accurate and is based on a 1966 Blackface Twin Reverb. A 1974 Dual Showman is a completely different amp than a Blackface TR. Most importantly it has a Master Volume. It is a CBS era amp and in that era many changes were made to the amps to reduce distortion. The Silverface model would be closer. Part of the reason the Blackface era are so sought after is because they distort. They are NOT clean amps by any stretch.

Just to add...
I've played A LOT of vintage Fender amps over the years (tweed to silver face) and owned a fair number.. where they start to break up on the volume dial can vary surprisingly sometimes. I used to borrow a '64 Twin Reverb from a friend that would start to break up once you got above 2.5 on the volume. My Super Reverb had more headroom than this particular amp. We all wanted that amp because of that.. it was a killer sounding Twin. According to his tech, it was stock. Most BF Twins I've played were the more typical higher headroom experience, although not like the later CBS models, as Cliff mentioned above.

If you're overloading the meters, your internal level is too high. Back down the amp's Level control. Then turn up that little black Output Level knob on the box top make up the difference in volume.

Last edited:
Just to add...
I've played A LOT of vintage Fender amps over the years (tweed to silver face) and owned a fair number.. where they start to break up on the volume dial can vary surprisingly sometimes. I used to borrow a '64 Twin Reverb from a friend that would start to break up once you got above 2.5 on the volume. My Super Reverb had more headroom than this particular amp. We all wanted that amp because of that.. it was a killer sounding Twin. According to his tech, it was stock. Most BF Twins I've played were the more typical higher headroom experience, although not like the later CBS models, as Cliff mentioned above.

Guitar players are fickle. A lot of blackface Twins are modded to reduce breakup lol.

I like blackface Fender Champs, Princetons and Bandmasters but prefer Brown or Silver Face for the rest of the Fender family. It's all personal taste though.

Guitar players are fickle. A lot of blackface Twins are modded to reduce breakup lol.

I like blackface Fender Champs, Princetons and Bandmasters but prefer Brown or Silver Face for the rest of the Fender family. It's all personal taste though.

It just depends for me.. how loud can I get, how much headroom I want, what speakers are in the amp, type of music.. etc. That's why I and other players I've known for years would often have quite a few Fender amps. Match them to the gig/occasion.

It just depends for me.. how loud can I get, how much headroom I want, what speakers are in the amp, type of music.. etc. That's why I and other players I've known for years would often have quite a few Fender amps. Match them to the gig/occasion.

I can bond with a Tweed or SF twin, have played a few black face Twins, just can't feel the mojo. The BF Twins, when cranked, always seem a little cloudy / woofy in the low mids.

I have an early 70's SF Twin that I love.

The model is extremely accurate and is based on a 1966 Blackface Twin Reverb. A 1974 Dual Showman is a completely different amp than a Blackface TR. Most importantly it has a Master Volume. It is a CBS era amp and in that era many changes were made to the amps to reduce distortion. The Silverface model would be closer. Part of the reason the Blackface era are so sought after is because they distort. They are NOT clean amps by any stretch.
Does it use the AB763 circuit?

Back
Top Bottom