Unexpected Volume Jump

MikeD

Inspired
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

I was editing my presets using AX8Edit. Finish the session and close the editor. AX8 is still connected to computer via USB although USB not being used for anything. At this point I was stepping through my presets checking output level relative to each other.

I hit one preset and it's output level is way higher than programed - I estimate at least 5x higher - enough to scare the &%(* out of me. Switch to another preset and back again - all is normal output level.

I cannot reproduce it. It has happened 4 times over the last couple of weeks, on different presets.

I am just going to upgrade to FW 4 and will see if it disappears. I will edit this thread if it happens again.

Anyone else had this happen ? Wouldn't want to have this happen at gig levels but then again I don't use the unit connect via USB when I use it live - if that is part of the issue.

If it does happen again, export and upload the preset so we can test and evaluate. We really can't help otherwise.

If it does happen again, export and upload the preset so we can test and evaluate. We really can't help otherwise.
Hi Chris,
Will do if it happens again (I have since upgraded the FW so I am hoping it is resolved). Thing is the occurrence not limited to one preset and seems totally random. I was more looking to see if anyone else had this happen so I could rule out it being an issue unique to my unit.
Thanks.

I too have seen this but doesn't seem to be a particular preset or anything - just odd and has only happened a couple times in the last few months. Will see if it happens again.

If a parallel reverb gets disabled due to high CPU usage, your dry volume will double. If you're right up against the CPU limit on some presets, this could happen intermittently.
That's why I wanted to see a preset ;) it's never the preset causing the issue until it is :D many people say "but it happens on all my presets." A lot of times, all their presets were setup with the same issue!

It's just always good to rule out the Preset, because that's where a million things could be the issue. Once that is cleared as not the issue, it's usually easier to troubleshoot.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

I was editing my presets using AX8Edit. Finish the session and close the editor. AX8 is still connected to computer via USB although USB not being used for anything. At this point I was stepping through my presets checking output level relative to each other.

I hit one preset and it's output level is way higher than programed - I estimate at least 5x higher - enough to scare the &%(* out of me. Switch to another preset and back again - all is normal output level.

I cannot reproduce it. It has happened 4 times over the last couple of weeks, on different presets.

I am just going to upgrade to FW 4 and will see if it disappears. I will edit this thread if it happens again.

Anyone else had this happen ? Wouldn't want to have this happen at gig levels but then again I don't use the unit connect via USB when I use it live - if that is part of the issue.
This happens to me all the time. I wrote about it a few weeks back, and no one seems to know what the issue is. I have the exact same problem though. It's as if the unit needs to "warm up" (I know it doesn't need to, but thats the way it behaves). So you make your edits, get the output volumes right, and then out of no where they jump about 8db. I find that when I stopped making the adjustment to the lower VU output levels, and let them alone, that after 15-30 minutes the unit right's itself and brings them back to normal. Hence the volume increase still happens, but to right itself. And for the record, I updated to 4.0 and it still happens.

Also, it only happens when I'm connected to AX8 Edit.

And Chris, its not just one preset. Its all of them.

Last edited:
This happens to me all the time. I wrote about it a few weeks back, and no one seems to know what the issue is. I have the exact same problem though. It's as if the unit needs to "warm up" (I know it doesn't need to, but thats the way it behaves). So you make your edits, get the output volumes right, and then out of no where they jump about 8db. I find that when I stopped making the adjustment to the lower VU output levels, and let them alone, that after 15-30 minutes the unit right's itself and brings them back to normal. Hence the volume increase still happens, but to right itself. And for the record, I updated to 4.0 and it still happens.

And Chris, its not just one preset. Its all of them.

You need to contact Support, that isn't normal behavior at all.

I just posted a thread about mine. My Ax8 is the opposite though. Mine drops in volume instead of jumping louder. One occasion it did jump louder but almost every time it does it, it's a significant volume drop. I'll have to try it without AX8-edit and see if it stops. My gear is at the rehearsal room so no trying tonight.

I just posted a thread about mine. My Ax8 is the opposite though. Mine drops in volume instead of jumping louder. One occasion it did jump louder but almost every time it does it, it's a significant volume drop. I'll have to try it without AX8-edit and see if it stops. My gear is at the rehearsal room so no trying tonight.
I think we have the same issue. However, I believe you may be noticing the volume correct itself back to normal volume? Not sure, I could be wrong. But that's whats been happening to me.

Ok. So I finally took the time to video what my issue is, which is I believe the same issue discussed here. I could be wrong. Nevertheless, if someone at FAS could take a look and see if theres a bug present, I'd really appreciate it.
I should note that it's not JUST the VU meter not reading correctly, it actually affects the output volume when it makes the jumps. I just didnt want someone to think that it was just a display error.

Last edited:
Ok. So I finally took the time to video what my issue is, which is I believe the same issue discussed here. I could be wrong. Nevertheless, if someone at FAS could take a look and see if theres a bug present, I'd really appreciate it.

What's the expression pedal for?

So the right one is attached to Input or Output Volume? DIsconnect the pedal and see what happens.

And I made no adjustments during that video. Everything was normal. Volume at full toe position and my expression was off

Back
Top Bottom