ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

Going through some of my favorite IR's. I highly recommend you check these out as I think they represent some of the greatest IR's out there. :) That Citrus 4x12 IR is a must have!

A special thank you to @Pwrmac7600 for the idea on sharing my top IR list. I've mentioned it a few times but essentially the way I use my cab slots on the Axe-Fx has a ranking system that's constantly changing. To keep the video short I narrowed it down to 10 IR's which was extremely hard. (I mean how is "Misha Mix 08" from Cab Pack 13, the IR used for Periphery III, not on this list?) I didn't allow myself to use more than one IR per cabinet. I have IR variations out of the same cabinets on my top list. Actually my real #1 is the "ML USA Bulb SM57-MD421 02" but it got cut out because lately I've been using the "SM57-R121 03" a bit more.

I love doing these shootouts so if you have similar ideas for me don't be afraid to ask. :)

Very cool. I think the only pack I don't own is the citrus pack. Are those in order? meaning #1 would be your currently most used?
At first I was just listening , then I enlarged the window and notice that one of the amps you were using was a USA Lead. Through some of those cabs it sounded extremely marshall esq. I was quite surprised how a USA lead sounded like so many different amps depending on the cab it was running through. Also noticed you are running some motor drive on them all as well, gotta try that out.
Definitely going to try these. I always kind of kept away from the 121 ir mixes because they ten to have a metric shit ton of low end in them and I find myself rolling most of it out in a mix, but I may have to revisit.
Thanks again for putting this together.

The IR's definitely make f.ex. Mesa sound like Marshall and vice versa. I am however using a Mark IV, AC30 and JCM800 sim in this video.

I feel fortunate never needing to use the same IR again but if I had to these would be pretty close to my current top 10. The Citrus 4x12 is perfect for "my genre" which is vintage in the middle frequencies but modern in the lows and highs. Perfect for modern rock music. I would call it a tie between IR #2.

Last edited:
great post, very helpful thanks! It would be great to see something like this from the men at Fractal with regard to their cab packs too! hint hint ;-)

Going through some of my favorite IR's. I highly recommend you check these out as I think they represent some of the greatest IR's out there. :) That Citrus 4x12 IR is a must have!

A special thank you to @Pwrmac7600 for the idea on sharing my top IR list. I've mentioned it a few times but essentially the way I use my cab slots on the Axe-Fx has a ranking system that's constantly changing. To keep the video short I narrowed it down to 10 IR's which was extremely hard. (I mean how is "Misha Mix 08" from Cab Pack 13, the IR used for Periphery III, not on this list?) I didn't allow myself to use more than one IR per cabinet. I have IR variations out of the same cabinets on my top list. Actually my real #1 is the "ML USA Bulb SM57-MD421 02" but it got cut out because lately I've been using the "SM57-R121 03" a bit more.

I love doing these shootouts so if you have similar ideas for me don't be afraid to ask. :)

Nice vid!
great choice.
very interessting to see and listen to
and a very good starterspack indeed ;)

You should make a special pack with this IR !
I would love these 10 to be in the factory cabs.
Great video!! You can sell these as a "STARTER PACK" Great for newbies and advance user!! Variety is what I like!
Nice vid!
great choice.
very interessting to see and listen to
and a very good starterspack indeed ;)
Noted! There have been some requests for a sampler pack before as well. I must admit I'm always trying to look forward to create something that hasn't been done before rather than make another pack out of my past work. I'm still working on a few packs that IMO need to be included so this might actually happen later but right now it's really hard for me to promise anything. :) Thank you for the idea guys!

The format of the comparison was great! I especially like how at the end you played the same riff switching between each cab.
Quick question...I think you were keeping the amp settings the same when switching cabs (the individual amps not between amps), not tweaking the eq, drive, etc. Am I correct?
Thanks!

The format of the comparison was great! I especially like how at the end you played the same riff switching between each cab.
Quick question...I think you were keeping the amp settings the same when switching cabs (the individual amps not between amps), not tweaking the eq, drive, etc. Am I correct?
Thanks!
Yeah definitely. The "higher gain" parts were a JCM800 for the rock parts and for the metal parts a Mark IV. The amp settings were exactly the same throughout the process. JCM settings were noonish. Those Mark IV settings are the ones that I shared in the "Mikko's Mark IV Preset-Cab Bundle" thread which I for some reason can't find.

My IR principle relies heavily on believing that having everything as neutral as possible will give you the best tone and you will get it fast and easy. Neutral amp settings + neutral IR = good tone. When you follow that principle 100% you can do something like this where you don't really have to re-tweak the amp settings to make multiple IR's work but instead you just get different flavors where the sound always works. I believe that if you want variation in brightness you should experiment with mic blending like f.ex. blend a Royer with the SM57 for more beef or an MD421 with the SM57 for more cut and depth. Sacrificing your SM57 position to get a certain brightness is IMO not the way you get the best possible tone. The SM57 is the iconic foundation of guitar tone. Based on the experience of driving a robot around guitar cabinets for a living these past two years I'm confident in saying that there are only around 1-5 really nice sweet spots for an SM57 on every speaker. The way the Zilla cabs were built actually gave me the most sweetspots sometimes up to 7-8 per speaker. Obviously I've experimented with shooting more IR's but whenever it comes down to testing the IR's in a mix, FRFR, live etc. its really evident which IR's are the sweet spot ones. Luckily I do all speakers on a 4x12 to get more variation. :)

.... I notice I'm rambling about IR's again. Sorry about this habit. :D

Back
Top Bottom