Does the AX8 have an audio gap?

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hi there.
I want to know how does the AX8 compares with the Axe FX2 in case of Audio gap when switching between amp block X/Y. Is it better or worse?
In axe fx 2, the audio gap makes Amp X/Y or preset switching absolutely unusable to me. I mean, I really don't want to lose the first note of the chorus, or the last note of the verse during a gig.
However, There is a work around on the Axe FX2 (Use two amp blocks) but there doesn't seem to be one on the AX8, as it only allows one Amp block.

When switching presets, there's a noticeable gap. I find it hard to use preset switching live this way. With scenes, using the same amp, it's not as bad. I really hope they figure out how to do seamless switching in the future as other units can do this already.

hmm... so it isn't any better than Axe2... Too bad...

It's worse. On either unit there will be a gap when switching Amp X/Y or switching presets. On the AX8, the gap is greater, which makes sense (it is using less powerful processors after all). On the rack units, you can just use the Amp 2 block, which is not an option on the AX8. The only unit I know of that has gapless (or nigh-gapless) switching with a single amp block is the Atomic Amplifire.
-
Austin

It's worse. On either unit there will be a gap when switching Amp X/Y or switching presets. On the AX8, the gap is greater, which makes sense (it is using less powerful processors after all). On the rack units, you can just use the Amp 2 block, which is not an option on the AX8. The only unit I know of that has gapless (or nigh-gapless) switching with a single amp block is the Atomic Amplifire.
-
Austin

Kemper has it too...can go from amp to a different amp in performance mode with no gap at all.

Kemper has it too...can go from amp to a different amp in performance mode with no gap at all.

Cool. I haven't used a Kemper in years, so I wasn't sure about that. It makes perfect sense though. Being able to morph between two amps but not being able to switch between them seamlessly wouldn't make any sense.
-
Auatin

Last edited:
Cool. I haven't used a Kemper in years, so I wasn't sure about that. It makes perfect sense though. Being able to see leaky morph between two amps but not being able to switch between them haplessly wouldn't make any sense.
-
Auatin

Which is why I know it can be done...just hoping it's done here for something that is used in a live setting mainly.

Hmmm.... It sounds like, it is about time, I build the "5 distinct sounds with not audio gap in a single preset" preset. I am talking Acoustic sim, pristine clean, edge of break-up (think little whing), raw rock (AC/DC), and borderline metal (think Slither by Velvet Revolver).

All of the above can be accomplished in a single preset using only one amp model. If you really wanted to, it could be set up such that, you could morph between sounds. But then there might be too many morphing possibilities.

Hi there.
I want to know how does the AX8 compares with the Axe FX2 in case of Audio gap when switching between amp block X/Y. Is it better or worse?
In axe fx 2, the audio gap makes Amp X/Y or preset switching absolutely unusable to me. I mean, I really don't want to lose the first note of the chorus, or the last note of the verse during a gig.
However, There is a work around on the Axe FX2 (Use two amp blocks) but there doesn't seem to be one on the AX8, as it only allows one Amp block.

There is an audio gap when changing channels in my Bogner Shiva and bad cat amps, it was also present in all o the mesa boogie amps i had. The audio gap in the AX8 X/Y is exactly the same as a real amp!

There is an audio gap when changing channels in my Bogner Shiva and bad cat amps, it was also present in all o the mesa boogie amps i had. The audio gap in the AX8 X/Y is exactly the same as a real amp!

As much as I LOVELOVELOVE my AX8 I disagree with this. .It's more noticeable on the AX8 than on my amps. . i.e. my Tremoverb, 2 Splawns, 2 Demeters, Marshall 6101, etc. . They switch channels with no gap. There are ways to program the AX8 though that can work really well live. So far, the gaps bug me, BUT I just use an expression pedal to control the gain on certain amp models, and it allows me to have decent clean tones on up to the highest gain with no gap at all. . That works for me. . It might not for others :) Carry on! Eric

Hmmm.... It sounds like, it is about time, I build the "5 distinct sounds with not audio gap in a single preset" preset. I am talking Acoustic sim, pristine clean, edge of break-up (think little whing), raw rock (AC/DC), and borderline metal (think Slither by Velvet Revolver).

All of the above can be accomplished in a single preset using only one amp model. If you really wanted to, it could be set up such that, you could morph between sounds. But then there might be too many morphing possibilities.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's not possible to switch between sounds seamlessly, but the fact is, you can not do it using Amp X/Y. Can you use drive pedals? Sure. Can you use a direct line and some eq, etc for you clean sound? Sure. Can you use modifiers on various parameters of a single amp block? Sure.

But if you want to do Amp X/Y or switch presets. there will be an audio gap. You are constrained by the limits of the system. You building a "5 distinct sounds with no audio gap in a single preset" will not change that.
-
Austin

Last edited:
Which is why I know it can be done...just hoping it's done here for something that is used in a live setting mainly.

It really would be a great improvement.

But all designs are different. So because one company "can" do it, doesn't mean another piece of hardware can also do it. Sometimes there are constraints based on the design.

It is an often asked Q though so I know there is demand for it :)

As much as I LOVELOVELOVE my AX8 I disagree with this. .It's more noticeable on the AX8 than on my amps. . i.e. my Tremoverb, 2 Splawns, 2 Demeters, Marshall 6101, etc. . They switch channels with no gap. There are ways to program the AX8 though that can work really well live. So far, the gaps bug me, BUT I just use an expression pedal to control the gain on certain amp models, and it allows me to have decent clean tones on up to the highest gain with no gap at all. . That works for me. . It might not for others :) Carry on! Eric
It really would be a great improvement.

But all designs are different. So because one company "can" do it, doesn't mean another piece of hardware can also do it. Sometimes there are constraints based on the design.

It is an often asked Q though so I know there is demand for it :)

People that are more concern about the minimal audio gap between changes and not audio quality should use a product that changes gapless and ok tone and be happy.;)

I still don't get why this audio gap is a concern, been setting up sounds for a concert of 25 songs and this gap is of no problem to me.

Last edited:
People that are more concern about the minimal audio gap between changes and not audio quality should use a product that changes gapless and ok tone and be happy.;)

I still don't get why this audio gap is a concern, been setting up sounds for a concert of 25 songs and this gap is of no problem to me.

Obviously, there are many different people with many different needs. What works or doesn't work for you is very different than for another, not a fan of the my way or the highway mentality personally.

To be honest, the switching gap time kinda surprised me for a unit in this price range. It is pretty close to what decades old Digitech gear used to suffer from. For a unit which sounds so very sweet with so many strengths it is the one glaring negative aspect. Granted, there are various workarounds and it's no deal breaker for me but I can certainly see others having issues with it when there are other very good sounding units on the market at a competitive price point which have near seamless switching.

@nicolasrivera and @Will Chen I personally don't find the gap distressing but like Will I can appreciate comments from users that really have a need for seemless switching.

With my analog rig, I typically might make 2-3 button presses to change from say a background part to a solo sound. In my case, hitting a single button, and the associated preset change gap, is quicker than with my analog rig.

You don't need to get it. What works for u works for u! Will Chen said exactly what I was going to say so I won't retype it. We all have different experience with gear and different 'needs/desires'. My house is a gear museum and I've been a performing rock guitarist for too many years and yep I was very surprised at the x/y gaps etc. I figured out my workaround for now BUT I bet FAS will develop theirs to please us picky guitarist/gearheads!

Totally agree with Will. For MY needs, when a sound guy and your band says something about the sound gap, then you know it's something that is affecting things. Yes, I'm working around it and love the unit, but in 2016, there should be a way to improve it. I would have paid a little more just for that improvement.

Back
Top Bottom