The first ever Extension Module for MFC-101 !

Hey Ariel,
I'm having a hard time getting the ext4mfc to behave as a toggle switch, it's always acting as a momentary switch no matter what settings I have them set to. I have the edit/setup menu set to XS1 = Toggle and edit/midi menu set to toggle but have explored all options i.e. toggle. momentary, hdwr and realise that toggle should be the pick, but the response is momentary only.
I have the switches set as 1 = tap, 2 = volume boost (min 110, max 127), 3 = pitch, 4 = comp so far.

edited with updates

only tap tempo works

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to hear you are heaving hard time define it to work as you need, however programing the behaver of the EXT4MFC is a total MFC / Axe programing as the EXT is total passive switching unit, nothing to program over there

The EXT is a momentary type unit as momentary can be defined to act as momentary OR toggle over the Axe / MFC (depends how you programed it).

It's been a while since I've touched an MFC as I'm running an RJM MM board for some time now but I will try to help.

Please refer over the manual to the section related to external switching.
After programing the MFC according to the manual, I suggest to use the "learn" function over the Axe to identify the switch needed for X function.
Simply scroll over the Axe to the desired function (X block on/off, Vol Incr / Decr etc.) and press ENTER over the Axe (the Axe will "listen" to the incoming cc / switch form the EXT).
then press the desired switch over the EXT. the Axe should "hear" the switch you pressed and define it to the correct cc.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply, I've tried that and I still can't get the efx blocks to turn on and stay on. I've sorted out the tap tempo function by changing the off value to "off" and not "000" which is what I had before. Anyone care to chime in with details of how to turn on the effects blocks. I know I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Your switches are setup wrong. Momentary switches can be used in either momentary or toggle mode, so that's why there's two different settings. The Setup menu setting tells the MFC what type of switch is physically connected. The extension has momentary switches in it so set each switch to momentary in the Setup menu. The MIDI menu setting tells the MFC how you want the controller to behave. You want it to toggle the block states, so set it to Toggle in the MIDI menu. If you set it to HDW it will behave the same as the switch type, which in this case would be momentary.

Thanks Mr Fender for chiming in, I have updated my original question, I do already have toggle setup and only the tap tempo is working accordingly, I cannot turn effects on/off.

Strangely, I've had the same issue. Never could get fx blocks to be anything but momentary switches using the ext4mfc with Mfc no matter the setting. Didn't really mind as I ended up using the four buttons for scene up/down & vol inc/dec, which worked fine.

Update: Well decided to finally for once figure this out, even though the momentary was working for what I needed (Scenes and vol changes). Had apparently four different TRS cables that somehow weren't making the correct connection, even though they tested fine with my multimeter & had no other apparent signs of shorts. Wired up two new TRS cables and double checked they were set as Momentary in MFC's "Setup" and toggle under MFC's "MIDI". What do you know, worked perfectly as toggles!

Last edited:
Strangely, I've had the same issue. Never could get fx blocks to be anything but momentary switches using the ext4mfc with Mfc no matter the setting. Didn't really mind as I ended up using the four buttons for scene up/down & vol inc/dec, which worked fine.

Update: Well decided to finally for once figure this out, even though the momentary was working for what I needed (Scenes and vol changes). Had apparently four different TRS cables that somehow weren't making the correct connection, even though they tested fine with my multimeter & had no other apparent signs of shorts. Wired up two new TRS cables and double checked they were set as Momentary in MFC's "Setup" and toggle under MFC's "MIDI". What do you know, worked perfectly as toggles!

I'll check this out one more time as I was stumped with all the good answers from other users. I used different cables before and still had the same issues but never suspected cables as they worked fine in my studio patch bay. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll check this out one more time as I was stumped with all the good answers from other users. I used different cables before and still had the same issues but never suspected cables as they worked fine in my studio patch bay. Thanks for the heads up.

Success, thanks to all that have helped out here.

Hello, all,

Am I correct in thinking that the Extension Module for the MFC-101 is no longer being offered?

Or, perhaps, is Fractal (or some other manufacturer) gonna produce it for general availability?

Hi.

I have never "completely" stopped producing the EXT4MFC.
If there was enough interest I would be happy to go ahead and produce another run but unfortunately there was not much lately and I cannot manufacture a single unit only.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So, emails were sent to those who were interested, currently waiting to see how many are in.
According to that, I can know if it's possible to have another batch, will wait 2-3 days more before announcing YES / NO.

Thanks.

So, emails were sent to those who were interested, currently waiting to see how many are in.
According to that, I can know if it's possible to have another batch, will wait 2-3 days more before announcing YES / NO.

Thanks.

Do you need people to pre-pay before a decision is made, or are you just looking for affirmative responses?

Yes, pre pay was always the only way for me to do it, this way I know you are serious and It helps with initial cost of producing the units.
If eventually there will be not enough interest, I will cancel the batch and fully refund of course.
I'm not a shop or something, this is totally a side thing for the lil spare time I don’t have :)

If you don't make it to enough for an order, I have one that I'm not using that I might sell. They definitely are made and work well- cool solution.
Hunter

Back
Top Bottom