Aliasing in my AX-8

jzgtrguy

Inspired
So I get this weird aliasing in my AX-8. I've tried to trouble shoot it. I thought it might be my guitar but it does it on all my guitars. I thought it might be a cable but it does it with all my cables. It does it with all presets on every amp type. The amps I use most are the Black face Twin and the Fractal Class A.

I'm using an Alto TS210 monitor. Do you think that could be it?

I haven't had an acoustics class in a few years, but IIRC, aliasing requires a frequency to be sampled that is in excess of the maximum sample rate, which given the specs of the Fractal unit, seems unlikely. Unless of course one turned the sample rate way down in a drive block, which then can indeed produce aliasing, ala 1980's digital effects

So I get this weird aliasing in my AX-8. I've tried to trouble shoot it. I thought it might be my guitar but it does it on all my guitars. I thought it might be a cable but it does it with all my cables. It does it with all presets on every amp type. The amps I use most are the Black face Twin and the Fractal Class A.

I'm using an Alto TS210 monitor. Do you think that could be it?
I also have an Alto TS210 with no issues. As already mentioned, send us a sound clip and the preset and I can try to replicate here...

Last edited:
I don't have any recording equipment
Not much we can do to help you then. Post a preset, maybe that'll help?

Aliasing, as others have mentioned, is a very specific thing that Cliff has worked hard to make sure doesn't exist in his product line-up.

You sure what you are hearing is aliasing? That's something very, very specific...

It's a weird doubling of every note. It occurs with every amp model. I've got the amps dialed down so I'm not over driving the inputs. What would you call that? Maybe I'm using the wrong term.

I think you're gonna dig up Cliff out of the woodworks with this one. AFAIK, Cliff is anti aliasing and none of his products exhibit this effect...

aaahhh, Even an analog tube amp can alias given the right circumstances so I would assume with the accurate models they'd do the same thing if you duplicated the same circumstances.

It's a weird doubling of every note. It occurs with every amp model. I've got the amps dialed down so I'm not over driving the inputs. What would you call that? Maybe I'm using the wrong term.
Are you certain you haven't introduced a parallel path through your preset?

aaahhh, Even an analog tube amp can alias given the right circumstances so I would assume with the accurate models they'd do the same thing if you duplicated the same circumstances.
Perhaps you are hearing ghosting/ghost notes, which is another way to say inter-modulation distortion - which also happens in real amps.

You could try changing the power supply type to DC instead of AC, or play around with the B+ time constant (increasing it) in the ADV parameters.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. My response referred to aliasing in the digital realm, not analog. Cliff's work ethic and pure genius would not allow him to put out a modeler exhibiting digital aliasing. If that effect were present, the modeler would not hit the market...

I don't have any recording equipment
Smart phone with a mic and a free recording app? At least upload the preset. In ax8-Edit click the Preset menu at the top, then Export. Save to your computer then upload the file here.

But a recording is really the only way we can help for sure.

Doubling of notes sounds like perhaps either ghost tones or crossover distortion, but neither of which should really be audible on every note played. But I'm not intimately familiar with every amp and relatively new to the AX8 so I'll defer to others (thought I've note heard this).

Not saying this is the case with you, but one time when I was a kid, I got a really bad ear infection which caused an almost mild ring modulation in my hearing in which note only guitar but everything sounding like a doubling with a distorted 2nd sound.

Back
Top Bottom