Crunchy AC 30 TB .... need some help " tightening up " the low-end ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Justing working on a new basic patch - at this stage Amp and Cab only

- Amp Block => AC30 TB Amp Block
- Cab Block => 3 Sigma Audio Zilla 2 x 12 Cab Celestion Vintage 30's [ Lo cut @ 100hz / hi cut at 4500hz ] all else stock
- Amp MV ~ 5
- Amp Input Gain ~ 7.5
- Amp B.M.T eq roughly at 4 / 6 / 5
- everything else pretty much stock

Nice and crunchy, chimey .... all sounds great and as I want it ........ except that the low-end is a bit too flubby / wooly / not quite tight enough ?

I also tried some Alnico Blue IR's and even some mixed Alnico / Ceramic Silver Bells and some mixed Alnico / Other Ceramic IR's etc.......... but as I remebered from when I used to run a real 2 x 12 Alnico Box, tight low-end is not a strong point of the Alnico's

So ..... given the Amp Block and Cab Speaker IR style I am using ..... any suggestions / settings I could try to tighten up the low-end ?

Thanks,
Ben

A high Drive setting in a Vox model can be loose.

Try a lower Drive setting, and put a Drive block in front of the Amp block. Set it to FET or SDD or (low gain) RC.

Or increase Low Cut Freq in the Amp block.

Why do you lower the Master (defaults is 10)?

A high Drive setting in a Vox model can be loose.

Try a lower Drive setting, and put a Drive block in front of the Amp block. Set it to FET or SDD or (low gain) RC.

Or increase Low Cut Freq in the Amp block.

Why do you lower the Master (defaults is 10)?

Thanks Yek - great suggestions - much appreciated - will try and report back :)

Cut some low mids using the Amp block's graphic EQ. -1 or -2 dB using the proportional Q setting at 250 or 500Hz usually does the trick for me if I need a bit more clarity.

Another thing to try: drop Bass knob down near zero or wherever gives you the distortion tone you want, then add bass back in via the EQ tab in the amp.

To get a tight bass response while still distorted on top end, this is what I usually do.

I'd run a dual amp setup with the lows cut on the dirtier amp and using a cleaner/edge of breakup sound on the second amp. With less gain it will sound tighter and more defined, blended with some nice top end edge/grind for the other amp

Firslty - many thanks all .... the solution .....

- my Scene's have the Drive ranging from ~ 6 <-> ~ 8.8
- I increased the Power Amp Sag up a whisker
- I set the Pre-Amp Comp to Ideal
- I increased the M.V to ~ 7
- I increased the Pre-Amp Low Cut to ~ 610 hz
- I cut a hint more lows in the Amp Block GEQ
- and I reduced the Low Res on the Speaker tab of the Amp block a little

Individually they were all subtle changes, but collectivley, they did the trick beautifully :)

Funny thing is .... Ive run a few real AC30's over the years and have always loved them ...... but even with these real amps I had, I always had a bugger of a time tightening up the low end ....... especially as I ran them "harder" and more
"cranked" ....... says a lot about the Axe that the modelled AC30's respond the same way as my old real AC30's ... my sincere thanks again.

Ben

Last edited:
Firslty - many thanks all .... the solution .....

- my Scene's have the Drive ranging from ~ 6 <-> ~ 8.8
- I increased the Power Amp Sag up a whisker
- I set the Pre-Amp Comp to Ideal
- I increased the M.V to ~ 7
- I increased the Pre-Amp Low Cut to ~ 610 hz
- I cut a hint more lows in the Amp Block GEQ
- and I reduced the Low Res on the Speaker tab of the Amp block a little

Individually they were all subtle changes, but collectivley, they did the trick beautifully :)

Funny thing is .... Ive run a few real AC30's over the years and have always loved them ...... but even with these real amps I had, I always had a bugger of a time tightening up the low end ....... especially as I ran them "harder" and more
"cranked" ....... says a lot about the Axe that the modelled AC30's respond the same way as my old real AC30's ... my sincere thanks again.

Ben

AC30's have no negative feedback on the power amp. This means the output voltage follows the speaker impedance. Therefore you get a boost at the low frequency resonance of the speaker which causes the low end to get loose when you crank it.

Back
Top Bottom