Unable to create default directory: Permission Denied

Hey guys,

I get the following alert when I open my Axe-Edit:

Effects Definitions
Unable to create default directory: /Users/brooksneal1/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/ Permission denied.

The issue here is "brooksneal1" isn't my home directory, I changed it to "brooksneal" a while back. Can I change the default path somehow? I can't seem to figure out a way that I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

How exactly did you change your Username root? In System Preferences? Or some terminal command?

If you uninstall Axe-Edit and delete all the App Support files, then reinstall, does it work?

How exactly did you change your Username root? In System Preferences? Or some terminal command?

If you uninstall Axe-Edit and delete all the App Support files, then reinstall, does it work?
I've deleted everything that I possibly could to my knowledge and did clean installs of everything and it still doesn't work. I went through system preferences to change my home directory. Do you think I should just change it back or maybe revert back to an older backup that I have?

Axe-Edit saves its settings in a file on disk. It's reading that file on startup and getting the old location for your home directory from that file. You need to remove the saved settings.

From a Terminal, do:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fractal\ Audio

That'll wipe any saved app settings for the -Edit tools. It'll start back up with the defaults and set it's default location for storing things to your new home directory.

I would try to create a new username/account on your computer and go from there.

Easy enough to fly everything over into a new user account

Reviving this, since I have the same issue and can't find a resolution.

Getting this when I run Axe Edit:

Unable to create default directory: /Users/winstonnorrish/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/
Permission denied

I have not Users/winstonnorrish directory.

Any suggestions? thanx

Reviving this, having the same issue on Windows. I found something online that said to exit Axe Edit and reopen while holding Shift and that will give me a prompt to delete the settings file, but that didn't work. Has anybody had this issue on Windows before?

Try right clicking the shortcut to Axe Edit and running as administrator.

If that doesn't do it, then try renaming or deleting the Axe-Edit settings file under your user profile at "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings" where XYZ is replaced with your user profile name in Windows.

Last edited:
On mac :

Disable Gatekeeper from the Command Line in Mac OS​

Launch Terminal if you haven’t done so yet (/Applications/Utilities/) and issue the following command to turn off Gatekeeper:

sudo spctl --master-disable

On mac :

Disable Gatekeeper from the Command Line in Mac OS​

Launch Terminal if you haven’t done so yet (/Applications/Utilities/) and issue the following command to turn off Gatekeeper:

sudo spctl --master-disable

Be very careful running that command. It’s permanently disabling macOS’ Gatekeeper, which is part of the system’s security against viruses and malware.

I’d recommend instead to right-click the application to bring up the context menu and tell the Mac to open it, it’ll bring up an “Are you sure?” prompt allowing the administrator password to be entered which will subsequently allow the application to run.

If someone chooses to disable Gatekeeper they should understand the potential consequences, mentioned in the article linked above, and reenable it immediately using sudo spctl --master-enable after launching the application in question. Using right-click allows accomplishing the same thing without permanently dropping the protection of the system.

Back
Top Bottom