First recording ever, Brother John by Joe Satriani

Max_H

Inspired
Hey all!

Today is a good day because thanks to having the axe fx, i can now record and practice like never before, and well, I made my first recording ever.

I'm relatively new to guitar, having only been seriously playing for 3 years or so, so please let me know what you think. I am posting this for the purpose of receiving criticism on my playing. I'm way too shy to play in public yet, so i get to make you guys listen to my wanking.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy and please, let me know how you feel about it.

Ibanez RGxxv -> Axe fx II XL+ -> Ableton Live 9

Amp used is a Gibtone Scout, cab is 4x12 30W.

Edit: Oh near the end you'll hear this unnatural crackling. That's been happening periodically and only when plugged in through usb to my macbook pro, I'm guessing it's the usb cable. Thoughts?

Last edited:
If you hear crackle on when using usb then your preset cpu use may be too high. What is it reading?

If you hear crackle on when using usb then your preset cpu use may be too high. What is it reading?

I considered that but on axe edit it reads at 37 percent about. I only used the axe fx for the amp and cab and a comp. I used ableton for the chorus, reverb and eq. The cpu load in ableton was only at 17 percent.

In that case I'm not sure as CPU overload is one of the primary causes of crackle. Maybe it is the cable but then I'd expect you to lose it completely and have a definite gap before your MacBook 'finds' it again. Could it be a driver related issue?

In that case I'm not sure as CPU overload is one of the primary causes of crackle. Maybe it is the cable but then I'd expect you to lose it completely and have a definite gap before your MacBook 'finds' it again. Could it be a driver related issue?

I'm not sure. I'll do a driver reinstall tonight, see if that helps.

Nicely done. Overall it sounded good as far as the playing. Listening on my iPad speakers, so can't judge the tone, although it definitely was in the ballpark.

Since you asked for critique, there were a few spots where the timing seemed to slip off a bit, and some sections felt a bit "stiff" compared to Satch's playing which has a bit more "groove" to the syncopation.

Much better than I would have done at 3 years of playing!

Nicely done. Overall it sounded good as far as the playing. Listening on my iPad speakers, so can't judge the tone, although it definitely was in the ballpark.

Since you asked for critique, there were a few spots where the timing seemed to slip off a bit, and some sections felt a bit "stiff" compared to Satch's playing which has a bit more "groove" to the syncopation.

Much better than I would have done at 3 years of playing!

Much appreciated! Thank you for the critique.

Satch definitely plays it very loosely but still in the groove. I found that trying to play this to a metronome would not work at all because of that so i just tried to play by feel. I practiced by playing along with the record.

I'll definitely be working on this song more in the future.

Again thank you for the criticism \m/

Perfect!
about the noise... to me sounds very "analogic"... are ya sure that it isn't the guitar cable (or the jack socket in the guitar... or something like this, like the knobs on the guitar)?

Perfect!
about the noise... to me sounds very "analogic"... are ya sure that it isn't the guitar cable (or the jack socket in the guitar... or something like this, like the knobs on the guitar)?

Sorry for the late reply but:

There IS something wrong with my guitar cable (accidentally stepping on it too many times), but that problem makes a different awful noise haha. This had something to do with my version of Ableton; it doesn't happen in Logic Pro X, thank goodness. I've recently switched over to Logic, so I'm not bothered by that problem any more.

Back
Top Bottom