Reamping. Any suggestions to boost dry signal

I'm not sure I follow. What are you looking to accomplish?

When you lay down the dry track, it should be very low output, especially when compared to the wet track. If you send that dry track as-is back into the Axe-Fx, it'll come out normal though. There's no need to "boost" the dry track, and in fact, may cause lots of fun (read: bad) issues if you do.

Right, I totally forgot. My first intention with my post is that everything's in working order, I get my dry, send it back through the axe but my finished product seems to be much quieter playing back that it was when i was monitoring the wet recording.

also I really appreciate the help

A common problem when re-amping is matching the playback signal strength of the DI track to that of an actual guitar output level when playing the orginal track. Two Notes has a way to deal with this, FAS needs a similar process for AxeFx.

A common problem when re-amping is matching the playback signal strength of the DI track to that of an actual guitar output level when playing the orginal track. Two Notes has a way to deal with this, FAS needs a similar process for AxeFx.
Yup. When sending the DI captured from the Axe-Fx back for a reamp, the signal is lower. I'm using spdif. I have to increase the DI level in the DAW to get it to tickle the reds, like it was doing when I recorded the same DI with my guitar.

Already discussed this with support. They say it's my interface. I'm not so sure.

Without a full understanding of the engineering hurdles involved, I think this is a hardware problem, not solvable with software update.

Yup. When sending the DI captured from the Axe-Fx back for a reamp, the signal is lower. I'm using spdif. I have to increase the DI level in the DAW to get it to tickle the reds, like it was doing when I recorded the same DI with my guitar.

Already discussed this with support. They say it's my interface. I'm not so sure.

It's normal to see lower input meter levels if reamping digitally.

When playing guitar directly into Axe, the meter shows your level hitting AD converter before unity gain compensation. The DI signal is taken after unity gain compensation, so the DIs will show differences in guitar output level and probably all stay well below -6 dBFS (red LED threshold IIRC).

I'm sure my answers here in your comment but for someone whose green could you spell out how i might be able to work around this

I'm sure my answers here in your comment but for someone whose green could you spell out how i might be able to work around this

There's not really any problem to work around. DI tracks tend to be lower level than processed tracks. Sending this low level to the Axe-FX hits the preset with the same level as when you originally played the guitar into the Axe-FX.

For analog reamping there can be benefits to boosting a DI level for better SNR, then accounting for that in the Axe-FX as needed e.g. lowering input block level. This concept doesn't apply to digital reamping.

The DI track recorded from the Axe usb out is correct level. When you send that from you DAW back to the axe and select USB as input source, the result is the same as playing directly to the Axe. If you boost the DI signal by say 15db, you have to cut the same amount before amp/drive blocks or you'll have very hot boosted signal. (Nothing wrong with that by itself, it's just that you'll have to re-tweak your presets and lower the gain a lot.)

The DI track recorded from the Axe usb out is correct level. When you send that from you DAW back to the axe and select USB as input source, the result is the same as playing directly to the Axe.
Not with using spdif for both DI and reamp, in my experience.

Not with using spdif for both DI and reamp, in my experience.

Are you noticing something other than the input LED difference? For example if you record DI + processed (ideally a clean sound with minimal compression) then reamp through that same preset, is the second processed recording a different level than the first? That shouldn't happen and would likely mean something's not set ideally in DAW or interface software.

is the second processed recording a different level than the first?
Yes.

That shouldn't happen and would likely mean something's not set ideally in DAW or interface software.
I've checked everything over myself and also gone through it again with an FAS technician. Couldn't find the culprit. Only an assumption on the technician's part, that was just a generalized guess. No answers were given.

Its definitely something with my interface, because when the volume differential happens when I switch back into my Mbox driver from the Axe.

I tried reamping with the axe the other day and couldn't get it to work. I see you can do it when you're running it as your interface right? but Id like to have my dry signal come out of pro tools, go into the front on my neve preamp which has a 1/4 line input and a toggle for mic/line.. then out of that and to a track.. but it didn't work. Sorry I didn't read this whole post. If the answer is in there let me know and ill read from the top.. but was I doing something wrong? do I NEED a reamp box like from radial or something?

Return signal strength from a DAW is almost always to weak to match the signal strength of the original guitar signal when recorded, that is why a signal matching method similar to the one Two Notes uses on their reamper would be nice for the AxeFx. The current AxeFx can't do this is my understanding. But you can still work around it my raising the return signal level within your DAW.

Back
Top Bottom