ML Tutorial: How to mix IR's with Cab-Lab 3

what are you trying to do? I thought Cab lab light was just a conversion tool to convert .ir to sysex which if you have cab pack then you don't need to convert it right?

I used it to convert the OH HH pack and then was trying to understand what else CL lite does. If it doesn't mix IRs then that answers it. Sorry guys I'm a noob to Cab Lab.

so you tend to use one of those 'balanced' amps for testing out cabs and then switch to whatever amp you wanted to use?

I'm wondering how well that translates to class A amps using the same concept? Obviously they have much different gain structures. I don't have CL3 so can't test it myself or I would. Just curious as to your thoughts there!

so you tend to use one of those 'balanced' amps for testing out cabs and then switch to whatever amp you wanted to use?

I'm wondering how well that translates to class A amps using the same concept? Obviously they have much different gain structures. I don't have CL3 so can't test it myself or I would. Just curious as to your thoughts there!
Great question

It's all about what you are listening for.

By using a balanced tone stack and distortion, it can help you judge affect of one IR against another.

But you are listening to the response of the IR and deciding if that it what you are going for, the amp tone, clean, dirty, class A, etc, is out of the equation.

If you don't have a goal in mind, the choosing the IR is just random trial and error.

AC30s are actually also quite neutral amps. Maybe in a vintage way so for a modern tone I will have more highs and less lows but for a vintage vibe I'll run it with everything on noon.

Creating IR's has a lot to do with "what do you need the IR to do?". F.ex. Marshall amps are generally quite bright f.ex. the JCM800 and therefore f.ex. the Pre-Rola Marshall cabs round the high end in a nice way and does what you need for a Marshall amp. Using Pre-Rola Marshall cabs with modern amps like a Recto f.ex. (I've done this in real life) requires you to try and tweak the amp to be a lot brighter than it normally is. So if you have an amp you want to use you should maybe get to know it a little bit. Is it balanced? Is it scooped? Is it bass heavy? Is it bright? There are actually quite many variations and obviously the EQ section is there to compensate for things but generally I try to get away with the least amount of tweaking possible. ... this coming from a guy who has owned several Mesa Mark series amps in his life which are notorious for being non-tweaker's nightmares. :D I feel like this should be discussed in the next video and hopefully demonstrated as well.

EDIT: Advanced level: I would rather advice people search for the cab they want to use and then find the amp that goes great with it. That's how I do it.

Last edited:
AC30s are actually also quite neutral amps. Maybe in a vintage way so for a modern tone I will have more highs and less lows but for a vintage vibe I'll run it with everything on noon.

Creating IR's has a lot to do with "what do you need the IR to do?". F.ex. Marshall amps are generally quite bright f.ex. the JCM800 and therefore f.ex. the Pre-Rola Marshall cabs round the high end in a nice way and does what you need for a Marshall amp. Using Pre-Rola Marshall cabs with modern amps like a Recto f.ex. (I've done this in real life) requires you to try and tweak the amp to be a lot brighter than it normally is. So if you have an amp you want to use you should maybe get to know it a little bit. Is it balanced? Is it scooped? Is it bass heavy? Is it bright? There are actually quite many variations and obviously the EQ section is there to compensate for things but generally I try to get away with the least amount of tweaking possible. ... this coming from a guy who has owned several Mesa Mark series amps in his life which are notorious for being non-tweaker's nightmares. :D I feel like this should be discussed in the next video and hopefully demonstrated as well.

EDIT: Advanced level: I would rather advice people search for the cab they want to use and then find the amp that goes great with it. That's how I do it.
Is there a default cab that you should start with in the cab block when mixing IRs? I tried checking some IRs out in the browser but when I double click on the IRs, I don't hear any change in tone. I am using the IRs from the IR folder and not the SYX files.

Is there a default cab that you should start with in the cab block when mixing IRs? I tried checking some IRs out in the browser but when I double click on the IRs, I don't hear any change in tone. I am using the IRs from the IR folder and not the SYX files.

Activate the "Auto" button in the browser (left-hand side of the browser, like 3rd button in) so Cab-Lab can audition the IRs to the Scratch Pad memory location of your Axe-Fx?

Cab-Lab should communicate with the unit you chose from the connect menu and automatically configure the cab block for the current patch to read from the selected Scratch Pad location. Shouldn't need to double-click on the cab, can audition with a single-click or even pressing the arrow down key on your keyboard to move through the list... works similar to Axe-Manage Cabs in Axe-Edit.

I purchased Cab Pack 3 last night. Looking at the info on OwnHammers site, there should be 2610 IRs. But in the folders that I downloaded, for each mic and mix for each for each of the 3 cabs, there's only 5-7 IRs. When I do the math, it doesn't come close to 2610 IRs. Am I missing something?

I purchased Cab Pack 3 last night. Looking at the info on OwnHammers site, there should be 2610 IRs. But in the folders that I downloaded, for each mic and mix for each for each of the 3 cabs, there's only 5-7 IRs. When I do the math, it doesn't come close to 2610 IRs. Am I missing something?
Between all the speaker choices and mic choices, you should have at least that many ir's. In the 4x12 alone there are 30 some odd speaker choices, and each of those would have 4 mic choices. Plus all the variations of mic settings, plus all of the mixes. Make sure you downloaded the whole cab pack.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to mix IR's for the left and right guitar tracks, so they sound stereo and wide? I was thinking about using the phase reverse trick and then instead of combining them into a new IR, use the brighter one for the right track and the bassier one for the left track.

I always mix drums from the drummers perspective, so the Hi-Hat is on the left, so I always put the brighter guitar on the opposite side, so the mix sounds balanced.

I've always struggled with trying to get a good wide stereo guitar sound because if I find a tone I like and record a left and right track with it, it sounds mono unless I record 2 different tones but then it doesn't sound like the tone I originally liked.

I've always struggled with trying to get a good wide stereo guitar sound because if I find a tone I like and record a left and right track with it, it sounds mono unless I record 2 different tones but then it doesn't sound like the tone I originally liked.
Are you double tracking or just recording one track in stereo?

If you're double tracking, the slight differences should be enough to make it sound wide...unless you're some kind of machine that tracks so accurate that it sounds mono (I doubt it).

I'm looking forward to part 2 as well. The main thing that I struggle with is being overwhelmed with choices, so I've been sticking with the Ace folders for now. It would be helpful I think if you could suggest a work flow for the actual picking out of the original IRs in addition to mixing them with others and some insight into how you go after a sound, what to listen for, etc.

Back
Top Bottom